    or flames from unhappy owners?

    Thanks for any advice - Mark

    , Nov 20, 2006

  2. Steven Guest

    In order (based on image quality, features and price)

    1- Canon 30D
    2- Pentax K10D (no review yet, but many pictures available on the web since
    friday)
    3- Canon Rebel XTI/400D
    4- Canon Rebel XT/350D
    5- Nikon D50
    6- Sony A100
    7- Nikon D80
    8- Pentax K100D

    If you are rich, forget all of them and go with a full frame body from
    Canon.

    You can flame me now :)

    Steven, Nov 21, 2006

  3. <> wrote:
    > I'm so tired of my old Olypmus "brownie" that takes seconds to decide
    > when to grab an image - I want to get back to a SLR type body and lense
    > that takes a pic WHEN I press the button - used to do do a lot of 35mm
    > and
    > 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 type work, still have the hardware, but need digital.
    >
    > Cannon/Olympus/Nikon/Sony ???????? Any testimonials of happy users
    > or flames from unhappy owners?

    If you used to do 6x6, then you'll want FF at some time in the future.

    Right now, Canon's the only one doing FF.

    So. Get the 400D and only buy lenses that will cover FF. Canon 17-40, Tamron
    28-75/2.8, and Canon 70-300/4.0-5.6 IS. (Start with just the Tamron plus the
    cheapest kit lens, or maybe one of the cheap 17-35mm third party FF zooms.)

    When you want to go FF, you'll already have the glass, and it'll be a lot
    less painful.

    FF images printed at 12x18 on 13x19 paper are flipping amazing.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Nov 21, 2006
  4. Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Well for $999 I don't think you will find one in that price range that can
    touch the new Pentax K10D. It has features and image quality that rivals
    cameras costing twice a much.

    Hebee Jeebes, Nov 21, 2006
  5. Hebee Jeebes wrote:
    > Well for $999 I don't think you will find one in that price range that can
    > touch the new Pentax K10D. It has features and image quality that rivals
    > cameras costing twice a much.

    I'm really getting tired of this. You don't know a damned thing about
    the K10D. Why are you trumpeting an unknown quantity?

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Nov 21, 2006
  6. Steven Guest

    "Gary Eickmeier" <> a écrit dans le message de

    > Hebee Jeebes wrote:
    > > Well for $999 I don't think you will find one in that price range that

    can
    > > touch the new Pentax K10D. It has features and image quality that rivals
    > > cameras costing twice a much.

    > I'm really getting tired of this. You don't know a damned thing about
    > the K10D.

    not a damned thing ? Your lost man. The camera is out since last friday ,
    the specs, the manuel, and hundreds of samples are already available.

    Steven, Nov 21, 2006
  7. Guest

    Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    > Hebee Jeebes wrote:
    > > Well for $999 I don't think you will find one in that price range that can
    > > touch the new Pentax K10D. It has features and image quality that rivals
    > > cameras costing twice a much.

    > I'm really getting tired of this. You don't know a damned thing about
    > the K10D. Why are you trumpeting an unknown quantity?

    It's not really an "unknown"quantity.

    Pentax is a reputable camera brand. The previous dSLR from that
    comapny was a well liked camera. The new K10D uses a proven 10MP
    sensor --- the same one used in D200, Sony A100, and D80. All were
    very good cameras.

    I think it's reasonable enough to assume the K10D will be pretty good
    too.

    , Nov 21, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > I'm so tired of my old Olypmus "brownie" that takes seconds to decide
    > when to grab an image - I want to get back to a SLR type body and
    > lense that takes a pic WHEN I press the button - used to do do a lot
    > of 35mm and
    > 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 type work, still have the hardware, but need digital.
    >
    > Cannon/Olympus/Nikon/Sony ???????? Any testimonials of happy users
    > or flames from unhappy owners?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice - Mark

    The new Nikon D40 - high quality at a low price.

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 21, 2006
  9. Bryan Olson Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm so tired of my old Olypmus "brownie" that takes seconds to decide
    > when to grab an image > - I want to get back to a SLR type body and lense
    > that takes a pic WHEN I press the button

    Yeah, that kind of shutter-lag sucks. All the DSLR's from the
    popular manufacturers are quick on the shutter. The better digicams
    of late are also vastly improved, though not as fast as the DSLR's.

    > - used to do do a lot of 35mm
    > and
    > 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 type work, still have the hardware, but need digital.
    >
    > Cannon/Olympus/Nikon/Sony ???????? Any testimonials of happy users
    > or flames from unhappy owners?

    All of "Cannon/Olympus/Nikon/Sony" make fine and competitive DSLR's.
    Since you "still have the hardware", your best choice may be guided
    by what lenses you have. Do tell, as there are some tricky points,
    and people in this group can probably tell you at least as much as
    you want to know. Or do you need to fit a lens or two in your $1100
    USD budget?

    After you invest the $1100, are you still concerned wtih upgrading
    the body? As others have indicated, there's no question that Canon's
    35mm full-frame bodies are the image-quality standouts. From my
    perspective the 5D is both way expensive, and a bargain. Instead of
    incremental upgrades, I'm saving my money until I can go full-frame.

    --
    --Bryan

    Bryan Olson, Nov 21, 2006
  10. Steven wrote:
    > In order (based on image quality, features and price)
    >
    > 1- Canon 30D
    > 2- Pentax K10D (no review yet, but many pictures available on the web since
    > friday)
    > 3- Canon Rebel XTI/400D
    > 4- Canon Rebel XT/350D
    > 5- Nikon D50
    > 6- Sony A100
    > 7- Nikon D80
    > 8- Pentax K100D
    >
    > If you are rich, forget all of them and go with a full frame body from
    > Canon.
    >
    > You can flame me now :)

    Nah, just asking for reasons :)

    Why have you ranked D80 lower than both D50 and 350D?

    /Martin

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Martin_S=F8rensen?=, Nov 21, 2006
  11. wrote:

    > It's not really an "unknown"quantity.
    >
    > Pentax is a reputable camera brand. The previous dSLR from that
    > comapny was a well liked camera. The new K10D uses a proven 10MP
    > sensor --- the same one used in D200, Sony A100, and D80. All were
    > very good cameras.
    >
    > I think it's reasonable enough to assume the K10D will be pretty good
    > too.

    People are going around recommending this thing who don't own one,
    probably don't know that much about it. All I have heard about it are
    negatives. An unknown does not deserve the fan club this thing has,
    especially against others' recommendations of known good cameras. I took
    the time to write about my experience with the Sony, and don't expect to
    be upstaged by this ignorance.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Nov 21, 2006
  12. David J Taylor wrote:

    > The new Nikon D40 - high quality at a low price.

    Yeah? How do you like yours? Give us some details.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Nov 21, 2006
  13. Sander Guest

    Martin Sørensen wrote:

    > Why have you ranked D80 lower than both D50 and 350D?

    IMO it is a very subjective list... But any such list would be.
    Not all features are equally important to everybody and the list order
    will change accordingly.

    If I would rate the same cameras the order would be different.
    I would for instance rate the D50 and K100D about equal (or the K100D
    slightly above the D50) and both of them above the 350D.
    That doesn't mean the other cameras don't have strong points against the
    K100D, it only means the strong points of the K100D matter more to me.

    That doesn't make his list less true for Steven! It's just not the same
    for me.
    As long as you take these lists as one persons opinion instead of fact
    they can be useful.

    I think all cameras in the list are good.
    You just have to find the one that suits you best and that choice will
    not be the same for everyone.

    Make a pre selection opreferences. Then go to a camera store and hold
    the cameras in your hands, have a look through the viewfinder, take a
    few snapshots with each of them. Make your decision after you've held
    the camera's, not just based on specs or others opinions.

    Sander

    Sander, Nov 21, 2006
  14. mogh baba Guest

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:46:15 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
    <> wrote:

    >People are going around recommending this thing who don't own one,
    >probably don't know that much about it. All I have heard about it are
    >negatives. An unknown does not deserve the fan club this thing has,
    >especially against others' recommendations of known good cameras. I took
    >the time to write about my experience with the Sony, and don't expect to
    >be upstaged by this ignorance.
    >
    >Gary Eickmeier

    It seems you know a lot about this camera. In fact, I am in the
    process to order this one (Pentax K10D). Please let me know exactly
    what negative you have heard about this camera and let me know aboout
    your sources. How come everybody who talks positive has no knowledge
    and those who have talked negative are relieble?
    iMy decision to get this camera is based on general information about
    pentax, their earlier cameras, the features of this new camera, etc.
    Enlighten me and perhaps a lot others interested in this camera.

    Mogh

    mogh baba, Nov 21, 2006
  15. Sander wrote:
    > Martin Sørensen wrote:
    > >
    > > Why have you ranked D80 lower than both D50 and 350D?

    > IMO it is a very subjective list... But any such list would be.
    > Not all features are equally important to everybody and the list order
    > will change accordingly.

    Sure!

    > That doesn't make his list less true for Steven! It's just not the same
    > for me.
    > As long as you take these lists as one persons opinion instead of fact
    > they can be useful.

    I know. I was just surpiced to see the D50 ranked higher than D80;
    unless size is all-important I cannot see why.

    > Make a pre selection opreferences. Then go to a camera store and hold
    > the cameras in your hands, have a look through the viewfinder, take a
    > few snapshots with each of them. Make your decision after you've held
    > the camera's, not just based on specs or others opinions.

    I've done that. 400D did not cut it, it was too small for me and the
    viewfinder too dark. Luckily I don't have the money, so it's no problem
    waiting :-/

    /Martin

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Martin_S=F8rensen?=, Nov 21, 2006
  16. Guest

    Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > It's not really an "unknown"quantity.
    > >
    > > Pentax is a reputable camera brand. The previous dSLR from that
    > > comapny was a well liked camera. The new K10D uses a proven 10MP
    > > sensor --- the same one used in D200, Sony A100, and D80. All were
    > > very good cameras.
    > >
    > > I think it's reasonable enough to assume the K10D will be pretty good
    > > too.

    > People are going around recommending this thing who don't own one,
    > probably don't know that much about it. All I have heard about it are
    > negatives.

    Really? I haven't heard a single negative thing. Check out the preview
    of the camera on dpreview.com. Image stabilization, weather-sealed
    body, good controls, etc. Looks great for the price.

    -Gniewko

    , Nov 21, 2006
  17. Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >

    >> The new Nikon D40 - high quality at a low price.

    > Yeah? How do you like yours? Give us some details.
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    Gary,

    I like the look very much, particularly the weight and value for money. I
    have yet to decide which DSLR to purchase, indeed even whether to purchase
    a DSLR to complement my existing cameras.

    As a general principle, though, newer cameras tend to offer better value
    for money than older ones, and I would therefore recommend someone on a
    limited budget to give the Nikon D40 careful consideration.

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 21, 2006
  18. Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Well, excuse me but I have one in my hot little hands right now. Excellent
    camera with the only other one that comes even remotely close is the D80 and
    it is several steps behind in features and image quality.

    Hebee Jeebes, Nov 21, 2006
  19. Hebee Jeebes Guest

    And, then we have people like you going around with their heads up their...

    I don't recommend anything I haven't used myself. Twit!

    Hebee Jeebes, Nov 21, 2006
  20. M.Boxer Guest

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:43:41 -0800, "Hebee Jeebes" <>
    wrote:

    >Well, excuse me but I have one in my hot little hands right now. Excellent
    >camera with the only other one that comes even remotely close is the D80 and
    >it is several steps behind in features and image quality.

    Congrats you lucky one,

    I put my order today at B&H, because I am new customer they refused my
    order and required to send a copy of credit card, etc, Some hours
    later when I checked it again, they were out of stock.
    Meanwhile, I ma very keen to hear about first hand observations. Could
    you please take some shots at 800, 1600 sensitivity and see how the
    noise is. Could you give us a more detail information about image
    quality?

    thanks

    Mojtaba

    M.Boxer, Nov 21, 2006