    a virus check, and all seems clear.

    Thanks
    Janet
    Janet Sanderson, Sep 12, 2003

  2. Janet Sanderson

    PJB Guest

    "Janet Sanderson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My computer is grinding to a halt - well seriously slowing

    up, can
    > anyone help please?
    >
    > 1.3 GHz P4 with windows XP service pack 1. I have run disk

    clean up,
    > and defragmenter, but its still very slow. It all started

    to happen
    > after getting the new security patches from microsoft. I

    have also run
    > a virus check, and all seems clear.

    think you've already put your finger on the problem Janet,
    remove the patch(s) you recently installed, one at a time,
    and see if it speeds things up..(Control Panel > Add/Remove
    Programs)

    P.
    PJB, Sep 12, 2003

  3. On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:39:35 +0100, "PJB" <> wrote:

    >think you've already put your finger on the problem Janet,
    >remove the patch(s) you recently installed, one at a time,
    >and see if it speeds things up..(Control Panel > Add/Remove
    >Programs)
    >
    >P.

    Will that not leave me vulnerable to all these nasties going round?
    Janet
    Janet Sanderson, Sep 12, 2003
  4. Janet Sanderson

    °Mike° Guest

    Basic computer maintenance

    Control your startups:
    ----------------------
    StartupList
    http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

    Startup Monitor
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

    Startup Control Panel
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Check what's necessary and what isn't
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_all.php

    Also, go back and install ALL of MS updates; there was an issue
    with one that slowed XP down. That has been superceded,
    and fixed now.

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:16:48 +0100, in
    <>
    Janet Sanderson scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Sep 12, 2003
  5. Janet Sanderson

    Meat-->Plow Guest

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:41:39 +0100, ?Mike? <>,wrote:

    >Basic computer maintenance
    >http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    >
    >Control your startups:
    >----------------------
    >StartupList
    >http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/
    >
    >Startup Monitor
    >http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
    >
    >Startup Control Panel
    >http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    >
    >Check what's necessary and what isn't
    >http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_all.php
    >http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html
    >http://www.greatis.com/regrun3appdatabase.htm
    >

    >Also, go back and install ALL of MS updates; there was an issue
    >with one that slowed XP down. That has been superceded,
    >and fixed now.
    >

    >On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:16:48 +0100, in
    > <>
    > Janet Sanderson scrawled:
    >
    >>My computer is grinding to a halt - well seriously slowing up, can
    >>anyone help please?
    >>
    >>1.3 GHz P4 with windows XP service pack 1. I have run disk clean up,
    >>and defragmenter, but its still very slow. It all started to happen
    >>after getting the new security patches from microsoft. I have also run
    >>a virus check, and all seems clear.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Janet

    Janet, I had the same problem and Mike said to replace my CMOS battery.
    Meat-->Plow, Sep 12, 2003
  6. Janet Sanderson

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:22:42 -0400, in
    <bjt6g4$fci$>
    Meat-->Plow scrawled:

    >On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:41:39 +0100, ?Mike? <>,wrote:
    >
    >>Basic computer maintenance
    >>http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    >>
    >>Control your startups:
    >>----------------------
    >>StartupList
    >>http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/
    >>
    >>Startup Monitor
    >>http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
    >>
    >>Startup Control Panel
    >>http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    >>
    >>Check what's necessary and what isn't
    >>http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_all.php
    >>http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html
    >>http://www.greatis.com/regrun3appdatabase.htm
    >>

    >>Also, go back and install ALL of MS updates; there was an issue
    >>with one that slowed XP down. That has been superceded,
    >>and fixed now.
    >>

    >>On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:16:48 +0100, in
    >> <>
    >> Janet Sanderson scrawled:
    >>
    >>>My computer is grinding to a halt - well seriously slowing up, can
    >>>anyone help please?
    >>>
    >>>1.3 GHz P4 with windows XP service pack 1. I have run disk clean up,
    >>>and defragmenter, but its still very slow. It all started to happen
    >>>after getting the new security patches from microsoft. I have also run
    >>>a virus check, and all seems clear.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Janet

    >Janet, I had the same problem and Mike said to replace my CMOS battery.

    Oh, lookee! MeatHead can't even peddle his lies to the correct person.

    --
    "How about trying to be just a *little* bit smarter?"
    °Mike°, Sep 12, 2003
  7. Janet Sanderson

    trout Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:22:42 -0400, in
    > <bjt6g4$fci$>
    > Meat-->Plow scrawled:

    <snip>

    >> Janet, I had the same problem and Mike said to replace my CMOS
    >> battery.

    > Oh, lookee! MeatHead can't even peddle his lies to the correct
    > person.

    (He's killfiled, here.) I'm just amazed that Plowboy is still
    beeping the same noise at you. I guess he's plowed himself into a rut he
    can't find his way out of.
    --
    "Is there a prize this year for Most Ineffectual Troll?"
    trout, Sep 13, 2003
  8. Janet Sanderson

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 19:52:32 -0700, in
    <bju0pn$n8s9t$-berlin.de>
    trout scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:22:42 -0400, in
    >> <bjt6g4$fci$>
    >> Meat-->Plow scrawled:

    ><snip>
    >
    >>> Janet, I had the same problem and Mike said to replace my CMOS
    >>> battery.

    >> Oh, lookee! MeatHead can't even peddle his lies to the correct
    >> person.

    > (He's killfiled, here.) I'm just amazed that Plowboy is still
    >beeping the same noise at you. I guess he's plowed himself into a rut he
    >can't find his way out of.

    Well, morons do tend to repeat the same drivel over and over, don't they?

    --
    "MeatHead - the troll that never was."
    °Mike°, Sep 13, 2003
  9. On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:20:38 +0100, °Mike°
    <> wrote:

    >Well, morons do tend to repeat the same drivel over and over, don't they?

    Thanks Mike, I did post a reply thismorning, but not sure where it
    went - probably e mail by mistake sorry.
    All very usefull advise, of course I did not change my battery, and
    just don't understand why people have to do these things, just so glad
    I am a positive person and not a negative one.
    thanks all again
    Janet
    Janet Sanderson, Sep 13, 2003
  10. Janet Sanderson

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:12:33 +0100, in
    <>
    Janet Sanderson scrawled:

    >On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:20:38 +0100, °Mike°
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>Well, morons do tend to repeat the same drivel over and over, don't they?

    >Thanks Mike, I did post a reply thismorning, but not sure where it
    >went - probably e mail by mistake sorry.
    >All very usefull advise, of course I did not change my battery, and
    >just don't understand why people have to do these things, just so glad
    >I am a positive person and not a negative one.
    >thanks all again
    >Janet

    You're welcome.

    I'm glad you saw through Meat-->Plow's lying drivel.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 13, 2003
  11. On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:30:51 +0100, °Mike°
    <> wrote:

    >I'm glad you saw through Meat-->Plow's lying drivel.

    Of course, just sad it has to happen. no good for iether party.
    Janet
    Janet Sanderson, Sep 13, 2003