    64% system resources free
    and also have 15079MB of 165750 (FAT32) available space on C: drive.

    Thanks all

    Continental Translations, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Continental Translations

    Gordon Guest

    "Continental Translations" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Recently my HP laptop which is running on Windows 98 SE has become slow.
    > This is because of too many programs etc on it I believe.
    >
    > Anyway, I have recently uninstalled many programs and only have the basic

    MS
    > Office package as well as a few other basic things on my comp. I have also
    > run Toniarts Easycleaner to delete a lot of unwanted stuff. Nonetheless,

    the
    > computer is still running really slow. It is mainly when I clock on, for
    > example, IE and it takes about 7 seconds before it opens.
    >
    > Any hints on how to speed up my comp? I have wiped most stuff off, yet it

    is
    > still drastically slower then when i first got it (and when it had more
    > programs on it)
    >
    > I have 128MB RAM (Yes I know it's not much but it still worked faster
    > previously)
    > 64% system resources free
    > and also have 15079MB of 165750 (FAT32) available space on C: drive.
    >
    > Thanks all

    Have you emptied the Temp File folder and Temp Internet Files? Have you done
    a defrag and scandisk recently?

    Gordon, Jul 13, 2004

  3. Yea, done all of them! Still seems really slow!

    Continental Translations, Jul 13, 2004
  4. I ran Toniarts Easycleaner and ran the duplicate files feature. It listed
    literally hundreds of files, however I am wary of deleting them.

    Continental Translations, Jul 13, 2004
  5. Continental Translations

    °Mike° Guest

    Do NOT remove duplicate file; don't even use that
    feature. See my signature, and then download,
    update and use ALL of the following -- even if
    you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
    Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you
    MUST have the latest version of removal tools:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/
    http://www.lavasoft.de/
    Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/plugins/vx2cleaner.shtml
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/software/plugins/vx2cleaner.shtml
    http://www.lavasoft.de/software/plugins/vx2cleaner.shtml
    IMPORTANT NOTICE:

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:39:25 +0000 (UTC), in
    <cd16od$sld$>
    Continental Translations scrawled:

    >I ran Toniarts Easycleaner and ran the duplicate files feature. It listed
    >literally hundreds of files, however I am wary of deleting them.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 13, 2004