    Want to tell the world where you are??
    Add yourself to either the nz.comp http://www.frappr.com/nzcompusenetgroup
    or nz linux http://www.frappr.com/nzlinux Frappr maps.
    CyiPherX, Dec 8, 2005

  2. CyiPherX

    Impossible Guest

    "CyiPherX" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > Using Ubuntu linux on my centrino notebook, the CPU runs at 800Mhz
    > when the full cpu power isn't needed, which works fine and is very
    > quiet ,
    > when the full cpu is needed it scales back up to 1.73Ghz.
    >
    > Is their a program that runs under windows xp that can do the same
    > type of
    > thing, since i want to try it on another notebook.

    CPU-throttling is the default power-management mode in XP for all the
    Pentium-M processors that support this.
    Impossible, Dec 8, 2005

  3. CyiPherX

    CyiPherX Guest

    On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:49:41 -0500, Impossible wrote:

    > "CyiPherX" <> wrote in message
    >> Using Ubuntu linux on my centrino notebook, the CPU runs at 800Mhz
    >> when the full cpu power isn't needed, which works fine and is very
    >> quiet ,
    >> when the full cpu is needed it scales back up to 1.73Ghz.
    >>
    >> Is their a program that runs under windows xp that can do the same
    >> type of
    >> thing, since i want to try it on another notebook.
    >>

    > CPU-throttling is the default power-management mode in XP for all the
    > Pentium-M processors that support this.

    Ah i see, just that when i had XP installed on my notebook, the cpu always
    ran full speed ie: (fan always running), even when no programs were
    running, when i switched to linux, i noticed how much more quiet the
    notebook was without the fan noise.

    CyiPherX

    CyiPherX, Dec 9, 2005
  4. CyiPherX

    Dave Taylor Guest

    CyiPherX <> wrote in

    > Is their a program that runs under windows xp that can do the same
    > type of thing, since i want to try it on another notebook.

    For an Intel CPU, look into the support site for the model of laptop and
    get the "Intel Speedstep" tool. This is the little green flag icon that
    runs in the tasktray and throttles the cpu when you switch to battery
    power.
    Like another poster said, XP has many of these tools built in, but the
    model of laptop's web site will tell you in an FAQ.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 9, 2005
  5. CyiPherX

    Impossible Guest

    "CyiPherX" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:49:41 -0500, Impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "CyiPherX" <> wrote in message
    >>> Using Ubuntu linux on my centrino notebook, the CPU runs at 800Mhz
    >>> when the full cpu power isn't needed, which works fine and is very
    >>> quiet ,
    >>> when the full cpu is needed it scales back up to 1.73Ghz.
    >>>
    >>> Is their a program that runs under windows xp that can do the same
    >>> type of
    >>> thing, since i want to try it on another notebook.
    >>>

    >> CPU-throttling is the default power-management mode in XP for all
    >> the
    >> Pentium-M processors that support this.

    > Ah i see, just that when i had XP installed on my notebook, the cpu
    > always
    > ran full speed ie: (fan always running), even when no programs were
    > running, when i switched to linux, i noticed how much more quiet the
    > notebook was without the fan noise.

    That's odd. Check your power-management settings.
    Impossible, Dec 9, 2005
  6. CyiPherX

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:23:33 +1300, CyiPherX wrote:

    >> CPU-throttling is the default power-management mode in XP for all the
    >> Pentium-M processors that support this.

    > Ah i see, just that when i had XP installed on my notebook, the cpu always
    > ran full speed ie: (fan always running), even when no programs were
    > running, when i switched to linux, i noticed how much more quiet the
    > notebook was without the fan noise.

    Some of the newer AMD cpu's do it also, when you install the correct
    driver. You will also have to use something other than the default power
    settings in the power applet in control panel also, I found.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #217453 +(3763)- [X]

    <@Chin^> My sister caught me jacking off the other week and calls me a