Slow XP Pro SP2 startup after installing Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sunny, Dec 23, 2005.

  1. Sunny

    Sunny Guest

    Hello,

    i was wondering whether somebody could help me.

    I have got XP Pro SP2 installed on my computer. i had Norton Internet
    security 2006 installed and the startup up was perfect, very fast.

    then i installed Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier yesterday and now the
    startup is very slow, i even uninstalled Norton Ghost and Goback so
    that just the basis Norton SystemWorks functions were installed.

    after initail bootup when you get to choose which user you want to be i
    click on the user i want to be (administrator, actually there is only
    one user, but i do not know how to stop this in the middle of startup)
    but then it does nothing for about a minute, just hanging and doing
    nothing. and then after 1.5 minutes or so of doing nothing it resumes
    startup.

    what could be causing this hanging about.

    there is no adware or anything like that i have run Norton antivirus,
    microsoft antispyware and sbybot search and destroy.

    any help would be much appreciated

    thank you.
    Sunny, Dec 23, 2005

  2. Sunny

    Sunny Guest

    Sorry for this repost, but i have not changed anything else other then
    install Norton SystemWorks 2006 premier.
    Sunny, Dec 23, 2005

  3. Sunny

    Donald Guest

    on both user accounts?

    Donald, Dec 23, 2005
  4. Sunny

    Sunny Guest

    there is only one user on the computer. for some reason on startup i
    have to select User1, i do not know why.
    Sunny, Dec 23, 2005
  5. Sunny

    EricP Guest

    On 22 Dec 2005 16:49:28 -0800, "Sunny" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >i was wondering whether somebody could help me.

    Yes, the simple answer is bin Norton. It is s huge piece of cpu hungry
    crap. It gets bigger every time they *improve* it.

    Once it was a brilliant program, now it's crap.
    EricP, Dec 23, 2005
  6. Sunny

    Sunny Guest

    Thanks for the advice, but i have paid for it now and don't think i
    will get a refund.

    the thing is once the computer has started and loaded the system is
    considerably faster.

    i dont know whether to grin and bear the slight startup glitch or just
    uninstall it.

    the system is fatser but slower to startup................pros...cons.

    i was wandering whether there was another way of stopping this minute
    or so of hanging time, the computer is doing nothing the harddrive
    light is off and cant here the CPU fan doing anything, the computer is
    quite literally "off" but then after a minute or so it starts to load.

    other than this SystemWorks is quite good.

    thanks.
    Sunny, Dec 23, 2005
  7. Sunny

    Gary Guest

    Re: Slow XP Pro SP2 startup after installing Norton SystemWorks 2006Premier.

    Sunny wrote:
    > Thanks for the advice, but i have paid for it now and don't think i
    > will get a refund.
    >
    > the thing is once the computer has started and loaded the system is
    > considerably faster.
    >
    > i dont know whether to grin and bear the slight startup glitch or just
    > uninstall it.
    >
    > the system is fatser but slower to startup................pros...cons.
    >
    > i was wandering whether there was another way of stopping this minute
    > or so of hanging time, the computer is doing nothing the harddrive
    > light is off and cant here the CPU fan doing anything, the computer is
    > quite literally "off" but then after a minute or so it starts to load.
    >
    > other than this SystemWorks is quite good.
    >
    > thanks.

    Open msconfig, select the startup tab, and unclick symantec stuff so it
    doesn't load at startup. Unless you are constantly using p2p software
    and downloading music, pirated software, and various other crap, you
    don't really need to be running Norton in the background all the time.
    This can always come back to bite you, but odds are in your favor. Run
    Norton when you are ready to go to lunch or go to bed or whatever so it
    isn't an inconvenience. When your membership expires, go to
    www.grisoft.com and get a free copy of AVG. It works better than Norton
    for catching viruses anyway.
    Gary, Dec 23, 2005
  8. Sunny

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Sunny spewed forth:
    > Thanks for the advice, but i have paid for it now and don't think i
    > will get a refund.
    >
    > the thing is once the computer has started and loaded the system is
    > considerably faster.
    >
    > i dont know whether to grin and bear the slight startup glitch or just
    > uninstall it.
    >
    > the system is fatser but slower to startup................pros...cons.
    >
    > i was wandering whether there was another way of stopping this minute
    > or so of hanging time, the computer is doing nothing the harddrive
    > light is off and cant here the CPU fan doing anything, the computer is
    > quite literally "off" but then after a minute or so it starts to load.
    >
    > other than this SystemWorks is quite good.

    Not. Do some research next time before plunking your money down.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 23, 2005
  9. Sunny

    donleo Guest

    ive said this once ill say it again..get rid of any norton programs they
    suck resources,even if u have paid for it use avg free edition no slo downs
    and free.......

    donleo, Dec 23, 2005
  10. Sunny

    Daave Guest

    Sunny wrote:
    > there is only one user on the computer. for some reason on startup i
    > have to select User1, i do not know why.

    Although there is only one user, there is apparently more than one user
    account.

    Dave
    Daave, Dec 23, 2005
  11. Sunny

    Sunny Guest

    Daave wrote:

    > Donald wrote:
    >
    > >> on both user accounts?

    > Sunny wrote:
    > > there is only one user on the computer. for some reason on startup i
    > > have to select User1, i do not know why.

    > Although there is only one user, there is apparently more than one user
    > account.
    >
    > Dave

    when i go to control panel => User Accounts there are 3 accounts

    1) User1, which is me the administartor.

    2) Guest, which is turned off and never has been used.

    3) ASP.NET Machine A... , which i do not know what it is, i have never
    used this account either.

    At startup when you click on the account you want to be there is only 1
    picture i.e. User1

    i do not know how i got ASP.NET Machine A... as a user account, i
    think it might be something to do with my HP PSC All-in-one Printer,
    when i installed the printer, the HP CD also installed Microsoft .NET
    Frameworl 1.1 for some reason.

    COULD THIS BE CONFLICTING WITH NORTONSYSTEMWORKS AND CAUSING THE
    HANGING AT STARTUP.
    Sunny, Dec 23, 2005
  12. Sunny

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Sunny spewed forth:
    > Daave wrote:

    >> Sunny wrote:
    >>> there is only one user on the computer. for some reason on startup
    >>> i have to select User1, i do not know why.

    >> Although there is only one user, there is apparently more than one
    >> user account.
    >>
    >> Dave

    > when i go to control panel => User Accounts there are 3 accounts
    >
    > 1) User1, which is me the administartor.
    >
    > 2) Guest, which is turned off and never has been used.
    >
    > 3) ASP.NET Machine A... , which i do not know what it is, i have
    > never used this account either.
    >
    > At startup when you click on the account you want to be there is only
    > 1 picture i.e. User1
    >
    > i do not know how i got ASP.NET Machine A... as a user account, i
    > think it might be something to do with my HP PSC All-in-one Printer,
    > when i installed the printer, the HP CD also installed Microsoft .NET
    > Frameworl 1.1 for some reason.

    HP probably uses .net for their program. Many programs do now, and many more
    will. MS automatically installed the user account as a limited user. It is
    possible to make that go away, but it isn't important.

    > COULD THIS BE CONFLICTING WITH NORTONSYSTEMWORKS AND CAUSING THE
    > HANGING AT STARTUP.

    No. And you don't have to SHOUT ABOUT IT.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 23, 2005
  13. Sunny

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:QbRqf.32492$,
    donleo spewed forth:
    > ive said this once ill say it again..get rid of any norton programs
    > they suck resources,even if u have paid for it use avg free edition
    > no slo downs and free.......

    And why are you telling ME this?

    Toolman Tim, Dec 23, 2005