    Any suggestions where to start looking for why x64 would be so much
    slower on his system than 32-bit XP?

    Graham.

    Graham, Apr 7, 2006

  2. Graham

    Rick Guest

    What motherboard are you using? nVidia firewall is a known problem on
    Win x64.

    Rick, Apr 7, 2006

  3. Graham

    Graham Guest

    Rick wrote:

    > What motherboard are you using? nVidia firewall is a known problem on
    > Win x64.

    I'll check whether he has it installed or not. I used to use the nVidia
    firewall on mine without any problems, but I found the nVidia NIC
    drivers would not activate the NIC properly 50% of the time, so I just
    stuck in a PCI NIC and eliminated all nVidia networking stuff: a great
    improvement. I've not seen anyone claiming that the nVidia firewall
    slows the whole machine down though.

    He's using an ASUS SLI m/b with nForce 4, but he's not using SLI 'cos
    he's got an ATI AIW X1300 PCI-E (don't know why he bought an SLI board
    since he always uses ATI, but then, who does understand the way their
    sons think?)

    Graham.

    Graham, Apr 7, 2006
  4. Has he done a defrag, cleared his temporary files? Also, as Rick said, if
    you using an nVidia chipset, try removing the nVidia Firewall by installing
    and the uninstall it. You could also check your processes to see there are
    any unnecessary programs running in the background that might be slowing
    down the system.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 7, 2006
  5. Graham

    Rick Guest

    I don't have nVidia chipset, but from what's been posted here, you have
    to install it and then un-install it.

    Rick, Apr 7, 2006
  6. If it's an nForce4, it has the Nvidia firewall. Install it, and uninstall
    it.

    Also, make sure it's got the latest BIOS update from ASUS, and has the all
    the system drivers installed. AND that it has "cool and quiet" turned off.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 7, 2006
  7. Graham

    Scotter Guest

    How much RAM?
    What CPU?

    --
    Scotter
    Tyan Thunder K8WE

    Scotter, Apr 7, 2006
  8. Graham

    Graham Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > If it's an nForce4, it has the Nvidia firewall. Install it, and uninstall
    > it.

    It only has it if it's been installed, which it hasn't! Does it cause
    general performance problems if it has never been installed? If so I
    have to wonder what skill nVidia possesses which manages to make
    something that has never been installed cause problems!

    > Also, make sure it's got the latest BIOS update from ASUS, and has the all
    > the system drivers installed. AND that it has "cool and quiet" turned off.

    We'll do that. He's gone off to the Grand Canyon for a few days so it
    won't be 'til he gets back unfortunately. FWIW, mine has no performance
    problems with Cool'n'Quiet enabled, but it's certainly worth disabling
    it on his to check.

    Graham.

    Graham, Apr 8, 2006
  9. NO. It has it even if it has NOT been installed. See my blog, but take my
    word for it. Install it. Then UNinstall it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 8, 2006