Slow wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Aosmosis, Mar 27, 2005.

  1. Aosmosis

    Aosmosis Guest

    My main PC has an ADSL PCI modem.

    a 4 port wireless router 802.11G connects to this PC via the Ethernet card.
    The product was bought from ebuyer.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?E408131CA

    There is a another PC that is linked by CAT 5 cable which shares the
    internet.

    Then there is the 3rd PC that connects to the network wirelessly.

    Now the problem that I have is that the ICS on the wireless network is slow.
    It takes ages to get the external host website.

    If i type in a website eg www.bbc.co.uk

    it will take about 15 seconds before it springs into life. This never
    happened before.
    I have had to configure all my IP addresses manually even specifying my
    ISP's host DNS server.

    Does anyone know why?
    Aosmosis, Mar 27, 2005

  2. Aosmosis

    JoeT Guest

    "Aosmosis" <> wrote in message
    > My main PC has an ADSL PCI modem.
    >
    > a 4 port wireless router 802.11G connects to this PC via the Ethernet
    > card.
    > The product was bought from ebuyer.
    >
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?E408131CA
    >
    > There is a another PC that is linked by CAT 5 cable which shares the
    > internet.
    >
    > Then there is the 3rd PC that connects to the network wirelessly.
    >
    > Now the problem that I have is that the ICS on the wireless network is
    > slow.
    > It takes ages to get the external host website.
    >
    > If i type in a website eg www.bbc.co.uk
    >
    > it will take about 15 seconds before it springs into life. This never
    > happened before.
    > I have had to configure all my IP addresses manually even specifying my
    > ISP's host DNS server.
    >

    > Does anyone know why?

    Routers and access points are intended to do the internet connection sharing
    for you by acting as a NAT ( Network address trasnslator ) usually as a DHCP
    server to deal with internal IP addressing. They're really not meant to be
    attached to a machine that's using ICS and an internal modem.

    You described?

    Wall outlet----->machine with internal modem running ICS--->4 port/wireless
    router--->hardwired machines and wireless machines out here

    Should have!

    Wall Outlet---->external DSL modem--->wan port on 4 port/wireless router
    with NAT enabled acting as DHCP server---->hardwired machines and misc
    wireless machines out here

    How to make the 1st setup work efficiently I haven't a clue and I don't
    think it can be done for satisfactory throughput, perhaps someone else knows
    a way? The last setup is what you really should be looking into IMHO
    JoeT, Mar 27, 2005