Slow WinXP LAN file copy - why??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jimmy Dean, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    I have a small LAN - 3 WinME PCs (which work well thank you) and one
    WinXP Pro PC.

    When I copy say 500 MB/44 files from a WinME PC to the XP PC using
    Windows Explorer on the Me PC, I get transfer rates 4-6 MB/s - not
    fantastic but OK.

    When I copy the other way - XP -> Me using Windows Explorer on the XP
    PC, rates are typically 1.2 MB/s.

    And...
    when I copy from XP to Me, but using Windows Explorer on the Me PC,
    the rate is 4-5 MB/s!!

    No changes, same NICs, cables, switches only the direction (and Win
    Explorer version) is different.

    Replacing the Skymaster switch with a Netgear one made no difference.

    WinXP LAN performance has been quirky from the start - especially slow
    to access network shares compared to Win9x PCs. To me this is just
    more evidence of the product's unimpressiveness.

    Can someone explain this

    thanks
    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 18, 2003

  2. Jimmy Dean

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:33:24 +1000, Jimmy Dean wrote:

    >I have a small LAN - 3 WinME PCs (which work well thank you) and one
    >WinXP Pro PC.
    >
    >When I copy say 500 MB/44 files from a WinME PC to the XP PC using
    >Windows Explorer on the Me PC, I get transfer rates 4-6 MB/s - not
    >fantastic but OK.

    8 seconds trying out www.google.com
    Searched English pages for winxp lan copy speed.

    1 match was -

    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winme/t1059602417
    Annoyances.org - Copy too slow in LAN (Windows Me Discussion ...
    .... We have a LAN (4 PC's and a switch) and we have a ... The copy speed
    among the other 3
    computers is ok ... have Win98 as OS, while the compu with the problem
    has WInXP. ...
    www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winme/t1059602417

    <snip>

    Me