    It isn't using anywhere near the peak power of USB.
    CPU isn't maxed, it isn't using a heap of memory, so I'm thinking IO
    problem? but I really don't know where to check at all, any suggestions?
    T.N.O., Dec 1, 2003

  2. T.N.O.

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 14:22:10 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >When I plugin my USB Hdd, it kills the performance of my machine, as
    >soon as I unplug it, performance comes back.
    >
    >Tyan Tiger Dual Athlon mobo(2460)
    >USB1.1 on the mobo
    >No-name USB 2 1/2" Hdd adapter with drive.
    >
    >It isn't using anywhere near the peak power of USB.
    >CPU isn't maxed, it isn't using a heap of memory, so I'm thinking IO
    >problem? but I really don't know where to check at all, any suggestions?

    That is the nature of usb 1.1. It is a CPU hog. And a USB hard drive
    would be certain to show it - sustained saturation of the USB bus.

    I think usb 2.0 goes some way to addressing this.

    --

    ....Brendan

    Under capitalism, man exploits man.
    Under communism, it's just the opposite.
    J.K.Galbraith

    Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.
    Brendan, Dec 1, 2003

  3. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    >>but I really don't know where to check at all, any suggestions?

    > That is the nature of usb 1.1. It is a CPU hog. And a USB hard drive
    > would be certain to show it - sustained saturation of the USB bus.
    > I think usb 2.0 goes some way to addressing this.

    So do you reckon that a USB2 pci card might be the way to go?
    T.N.O., Dec 1, 2003
  4. T.N.O.

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:42:28 +1300, "T.N.O."
    <> wrote:

    >Brendan wrote:
    >>>but I really don't know where to check at all, any suggestions?

    >> That is the nature of usb 1.1. It is a CPU hog. And a USB hard drive
    >> would be certain to show it - sustained saturation of the USB bus.
    >> I think usb 2.0 goes some way to addressing this.

    >So do you reckon that a USB2 pci card might be the way to go?

    Hard to say - some of the cheap ones might use the cpu as an engine
    anyway...

    Given that usb 2 is faster, the bogging down shouldn't last as long.
    At least.

    Brendan, Dec 2, 2003
  5. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    >>>That is the nature of usb 1.1. It is a CPU hog. And a USB hard drive
    >>>would be certain to show it - sustained saturation of the USB bus.
    >>>I think usb 2.0 goes some way to addressing this.

    >>So do you reckon that a USB2 pci card might be the way to go?

    > Hard to say - some of the cheap ones might use the cpu as an engine
    > anyway...
    > Given that usb 2 is faster, the bogging down shouldn't last as long.
    > At least.

    heh, good point I guess.
    T.N.O., Dec 2, 2003