    Using XP Pro sp1. Any idea what could be wrong?

    tia
    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Aug 19, 2006

  2. Jimmy Dean

    JANA Guest

    I have the Kingston 2 GB USB flash. It is also a little slow. I found the
    ones with smaller amounts of memory are much faster. The 256 MB one is much
    faster.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "Jimmy Dean" <> wrote in message
    Have 2 GB unit - supposed to enable copy rates of 10+ MB/s but I can
    only get < 1 MB/s. This is when connected to USB 2.0 ports - an
    external USB 2 hard disk attached to the same ports can get 15 MB/s
    transfer.

    JANA, Aug 19, 2006

  3. Jimmy Dean

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Jimmy Dean wrote:
    > Have 2 GB unit - supposed to enable copy rates of 10+ MB/s but I can
    > only get < 1 MB/s. This is when connected to USB 2.0 ports - an
    > external USB 2 hard disk attached to the same ports can get 15 MB/s
    > transfer.
    >
    > Using XP Pro sp1. Any idea what could be wrong?
    >
    > tia
    > jd

    Brand? I'd bet cheap ones use cheap memory and cheap controllers and don't
    transfer at the better speeds. I know Compact Flash cards and other memory
    cards for cameras are rated by speed. Here's a link to a web site and a
    quote:

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

    "Both flash memory and rotating hard drive cards contain a controller. The
    controller determines how data is to be written to and read from the memory
    on the card. Whether a flash memory card or a card like the Hitachi
    Microdrive will be speedy or not with a given camera is determined as much
    as anything by the controller architecture. A card that is fastest with one
    camera isn't necessarily fastest with another, because of how the controller
    interacts and exchanges data with the camera. The write speed test results
    are a testament to this.
    The flash memory itself determines the maximum speed of flash memory cards,
    since no matter how efficient the camera-controller communication, data
    can't be transferred to the card any faster than the flash memory is capable
    of receiving it. Part of the price premium charged for certain fast
    CompactFlash flash memory cards reflects the extra cost of using the fastest
    available memory."

    Toolman Tim, Aug 19, 2006
  4. Jimmy Dean enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk - (ab)users with:

    > Have 2 GB unit - supposed to enable copy rates of 10+ MB/s but I can
    > only get < 1 MB/s. This is when connected to USB 2.0 ports - an
    > external USB 2 hard disk attached to the same ports can get 15 MB/s
    > transfer.
    >
    > Using XP Pro sp1. Any idea what could be wrong?

    Hmm, I got a cheap buffalo 256MB and a more expensive Pretec 1GB and
    both make around 8MB/sec (buffered reads, using hdparm). You are
    talking about read performance?

    Walter Mautner, Aug 19, 2006
  5. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:39:57 +0200, Walter Mautner
    <> wrote:

    >Jimmy Dean enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk - (ab)users with:
    >
    >> Have 2 GB unit - supposed to enable copy rates of 10+ MB/s but I can
    >> only get < 1 MB/s. This is when connected to USB 2.0 ports - an
    >> external USB 2 hard disk attached to the same ports can get 15 MB/s
    >> transfer.
    >>
    >> Using XP Pro sp1. Any idea what could be wrong?
    >>

    >Hmm, I got a cheap buffalo 256MB and a more expensive Pretec 1GB and
    >both make around 8MB/sec (buffered reads, using hdparm). You are
    >talking about read performance?

    Writing to flash drive performance

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Aug 21, 2006