Slow USA speed the last 3 weeks

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Biggles, Apr 20, 2007.

  1. Biggles

    Biggles Guest

    Hi ,

    i have been having dismal slow speeds to anywhere in the USA the last 3
    weeks.

    Im on the PRO plan & ran speed tests to LA download speeds are around 170
    - 340 kilo bits /s
    Upload speeds are 630 Kbits /s

    Yep my uploads are 2 -3 times faster than the DownLoad speed.

    The slow speeds occur between midday to midnight that i know of. Then
    by 1 am it oddly speeds up to around 1.5 Mbits /s and faster .
    I am not sure at what point in time it gets throttled back, but by midday
    the
    following day a speed test to LA shows the DL speed is crap

    At Xtra's request I did tests using 6 different speed test sites in LA and
    NY , they all gave me pretty much the same results over a period of 6 hrs.

    To verify my connection is working , after i tested LA / NY i did speed
    tests to auckland and Sydney Australia.

    Sydney = 3 Mbits /s ~ 6.5 Mbits /s

    Auckland = wobbles due to the lack of bandwidth .. but normally above 1
    Mbit/s during peak hrs.

    **************************************

    My neighbour is on the go large plan and his test to LA showed 3 - 4 times
    the speed at 3pm.

    So my question is what the hell is Xtra doing to my connection for 12 hrs
    a day?

    Biggles..

    Biggles, Apr 20, 2007

  2. Biggles

    XPD Guest

    "Biggles" <> wrote in message

    > My neighbour is on the go large plan and his test to LA showed 3 - 4 times
    > the speed at 3pm.
    >

    > So my question is what the hell is Xtra doing to my connection for 12 hrs
    > a day?

    Giving your bandwidth to your neighbour ;)

    XPD, Apr 20, 2007

  3. Biggles

    Biggles Guest

    On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 19:07:38 +1200, XPD wrote:

    > "Biggles" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> My neighbour is on the go large plan and his test to LA showed 3 - 4 times
    >> the speed at 3pm.
    >>

    >> So my question is what the hell is Xtra doing to my connection for 12 hrs
    >> a day?

    > Giving your bandwidth to your neighbour ;)

    Sure seems to be .... he does work for telecom ...

    Cheers

    Biggles, Apr 20, 2007
  4. On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 08:39:54 +0200, Biggles wrote:

    > Hi ,
    >
    > i have been having dismal slow speeds to anywhere in the USA the last 3
    > weeks.

    [Snip]

    I've noticed this happening on and off for the past week or so on my Xtra
    Broadband connection as well (Yes, with the U.S.A sites specifically),
    sometimes dropping to as low as dial up speeds.

    I've Emailed my Test results to the Xtra Broadband Help desk and am
    Awaiting a reply from them.

    TyphoonTycoon, Apr 25, 2007
  5. Biggles

    Jennings Guest

    On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:17:38 +1200, TyphoonTycoon wrote:

    > On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 08:39:54 +0200, Biggles wrote:
    >
    >> [quoted text muted]

    > [Snip]
    >
    > I've noticed this happening on and off for the past week or so on my Xtra
    > Broadband connection as well (Yes, with the U.S.A sites specifically),
    > sometimes dropping to as low as dial up speeds.
    >
    > I've Emailed my Test results to the Xtra Broadband Help desk and am
    > Awaiting a reply from them.

    Its not intermittent for me ... occurs for over 12 hrs a day that i
    know of ...

    I ended up speaking to 3 Help person at xtra, first 2 agreed it was
    telecom problem, 3rd guy i spoke to, told me xtra couldnt care less what
    speed i get to the LA in the US.
    I asked for his supervisor. Been nearly 2 weeks and no improvement, i just
    want the same speed as my bloody neighbour gets.

    Biggles

    Jennings, May 4, 2007