slow upload/connecting to web on dsl

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ~misty, Dec 19, 2006.

  1. ~misty

    ~misty Guest

    I've had my dsl guy here this morning and he is stumped. I have decent
    download (sometimes) but really crappy upload speeds.. plus just
    connecting to webpages is either really fast or so slow I could walk to
    where the webpage was hosted.

    The dsl guy disabled my Norton and the problem still persisted. His
    laptop worked just fine. Unfortunately he didn't know enough about pcs
    to dig any further.

    I have:
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    Page File: 288MB used, 958MB available
    Intel(R) 536EP Modem (plus the dsl modem)

    I have Norton 2006, SpybotSD, A-squared, spywareblaster, and ad aware,
    and run them all at least once a week. Norton is the only one that runs
    continuously. I use firefox mainly but also have IE7 (yuck)... both
    respond the same.. long delays on page switching and/or downloading stuff.

    I've tried shutting off via my task manager anything unimportant but
    that didn't help.

    So .. any ideas on what could be choking my pc?

    thanks for any help.. I'd really like to be able to enjoy the speed of dsl!

    ~misty

    --
    http://mistymage.com/gnohmongoodies/index.html
    email to "sims" at mistymage dot com