Slow to Start Up in the Morning

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 14, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I have noticed that my system is now very slow to start up in the
    mornings, particularly Staurday and Sunday mornings.

    Leaving it running for longer on Friday evening, in the hope that it
    might warm start the following day, actually makes things worse. It
    makes it even slower to start and greatly increases the error rate,
    particularly in the vision system.

    I have tried the usual remedies, without success. A virus infection
    was detected and, in the process of removing it, the start up time
    firstly got even worse and then improved dramatically, until the next
    Saturday morning. It then returned to normal but with even worse
    degredation of the vision system.

    Other users of the system have noticed the problem and commented on
    it. Some of their suggestions for cure have been tried but these have
    generally greatly increased the operating temperature and could have
    led to premature total systems failure.

    It is an old system and the principal user states a preference for
    this legacy system and its applications over newer systems, which are
    inclined to be more "buggy". Consideration of applying a Pfizer
    upgrade has been given but overclocking it is not recommended by the
    maintainer.

    Any suggestions?
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 14, 2004

  2. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    °Mike° Guest

    This "Saturday" and "Sunday" issue sounds like it
    might be a scheduled task causing the slowdown.

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:33:21 +0100, in
    <c5kamr$2mmhj$-berlin.de>
    Palindr?me scrawleE:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 14, 2004

  3. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    Jerry G. Guest

    You may have some ad-ware or spyware type programs running in the
    background. Get Adaware, and CWshredder to see if there are any of these.
    There is also one called spybot, or something like that. Lavasoft has a
    free version of Adaware. If you do a search for CWshredder, you should find
    that as well.

    After installing these, do the updates on them to have their latest data
    base.

    Make sure that you have an up to date virus scanner running at all times,
    and check your system regularly. When opening your email program, do not
    have it in the preview mode. Many of these virused emails can self install,
    if previewed.

    Your virus scanner is only as good as its last update. It is possible to get
    a new virus that is ahead of your scanner. This is the reason to be very
    cautious.

    It is possible that there may be some damage to the registry when a virus or
    poorly written adware program is removed. There is a utility called
    Regclean. I believe that this program is MS approved. You should be able to
    find it at downloads.com or any of these. This is a very good registry
    cleaner. If you have XP, do not use Regclean, unless you know that the
    version you have is okay for XP.

    The last resort for you would be to backup your user files, emails, email
    addresses, favorites, and whatever you want, and then reformat the drive.
    Then you can re-install everything back.

    I would suggest in the future to be a very prudent user, meaning to take
    caution what you install in your machine, and what emails you open.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Apr 14, 2004
  4. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    Pool Champ Guest

    "Palindrâ~»me" wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have noticed that my system is now very slow to start up in the
    > mornings, particularly Staurday and Sunday mornings.
    >
    > Leaving it running for longer on Friday evening, in the hope that it
    > might warm start the following day, actually makes things worse. It
    > makes it even slower to start and greatly increases the error rate,
    > particularly in the vision system.
    >
    > I have tried the usual remedies, without success. A virus infection
    > was detected and, in the process of removing it, the start up time
    > firstly got even worse and then improved dramatically, until the next
    > Saturday morning. It then returned to normal but with even worse
    > degredation of the vision system.
    >
    > Other users of the system have noticed the problem and commented on
    > it. Some of their suggestions for cure have been tried but these have
    > generally greatly increased the operating temperature and could have
    > led to premature total systems failure.
    >
    > It is an old system and the principal user states a preference for
    > this legacy system and its applications over newer systems, which are
    > inclined to be more "buggy". Consideration of applying a Pfizer
    > upgrade has been given but overclocking it is not recommended by the
    > maintainer.
    >

    > Any suggestions?

    Sounds to me you are running an old 486 system with d.o.s. installed
    (Dissabled On Saturday/Sunday). Try upgrading to at least an AMD 2000 (After
    Midnight Drinker).
    This will enable your system to download more of the Amber Nectar,
    especially on a Friday night. Hope this helps, and you soon have your system
    running like a youngster again.

    PC
    Pool Champ, Apr 14, 2004
  5. Jerry G. wrote:

    > You may have some ad-ware or spyware type programs running in the
    > background. Get Adaware, and CWshredder to see if there are any of these.
    > There is also one called spybot, or something like that. Lavasoft has a
    > free version of Adaware. If you do a search for CWshredder, you should find
    > that as well.
    >
    > After installing these, do the updates on them to have their latest data
    > base.
    >
    > Make sure that you have an up to date virus scanner running at all times,
    > and check your system regularly. When opening your email program, do not
    > have it in the preview mode. Many of these virused emails can self install,
    > if previewed.
    >
    > Your virus scanner is only as good as its last update. It is possible to get
    > a new virus that is ahead of your scanner. This is the reason to be very
    > cautious.
    >
    > It is possible that there may be some damage to the registry when a virus or
    > poorly written adware program is removed. There is a utility called
    > Regclean. I believe that this program is MS approved. You should be able to
    > find it at downloads.com or any of these. This is a very good registry
    > cleaner. If you have XP, do not use Regclean, unless you know that the
    > version you have is okay for XP.
    >
    > The last resort for you would be to backup your user files, emails, email
    > addresses, favorites, and whatever you want, and then reformat the drive.
    > Then you can re-install everything back.
    >
    > I would suggest in the future to be a very prudent user, meaning to take
    > caution what you install in your machine, and what emails you open.

    Generally, I lubricate the system every Friday evening, prior to
    shutdown. I must admit that I am prone to over-applying lubricant. I
    am not sure that this particular lubricant, "Director's" is available
    other than in the UK as it's manufacturer, Courage is fairly small and
    cannot compete with its American and Australian counterparts which
    produces lubricant that is more similar to Standard Oil 10W.

    I do try to take care what I do install but do like to experiment to
    see what will and will not stay installed. BTW De-installing software
    is one of my favourite activities.
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 14, 2004
  6. Pool Champ wrote:

    > "Palindrâ~»me" wrote in message
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have noticed that my system is now very slow to start up in the
    >>mornings, particularly Staurday and Sunday mornings.
    >>
    >>Leaving it running for longer on Friday evening, in the hope that it
    >>might warm start the following day, actually makes things worse. It
    >>makes it even slower to start and greatly increases the error rate,
    >>particularly in the vision system.
    >>
    >>I have tried the usual remedies, without success. A virus infection
    >>was detected and, in the process of removing it, the start up time
    >>firstly got even worse and then improved dramatically, until the next
    >>Saturday morning. It then returned to normal but with even worse
    >>degredation of the vision system.
    >>
    >>Other users of the system have noticed the problem and commented on
    >>it. Some of their suggestions for cure have been tried but these have
    >>generally greatly increased the operating temperature and could have
    >>led to premature total systems failure.
    >>
    >>It is an old system and the principal user states a preference for
    >>this legacy system and its applications over newer systems, which are
    >>inclined to be more "buggy". Consideration of applying a Pfizer
    >>upgrade has been given but overclocking it is not recommended by the
    >>maintainer.
    >>

    >>Any suggestions?

    > Sounds to me you are running an old 486 system with d.o.s. installed
    > (Dissabled On Saturday/Sunday). Try upgrading to at least an AMD 2000 (After
    > Midnight Drinker).
    > This will enable your system to download more of the Amber Nectar,
    > especially on a Friday night. Hope this helps, and you soon have your system
    > running like a youngster again.
    >
    > PC

    :) :)
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 14, 2004
  7. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    Pool Champ Guest

    "Palindrâ~»me" wrote in message
    > Jerry G. wrote:
    >
    > > You may have some ad-ware or spyware type programs running in the
    > > background. Get Adaware, and CWshredder to see if there are any of

    these.
    > > There is also one called spybot, or something like that. Lavasoft has a
    > > free version of Adaware. If you do a search for CWshredder, you should

    find
    > > that as well.
    > >
    > > After installing these, do the updates on them to have their latest data
    > > base.
    > >
    > > Make sure that you have an up to date virus scanner running at all

    times,
    > > and check your system regularly. When opening your email program, do

    not
    > > have it in the preview mode. Many of these virused emails can self

    install,
    > > if previewed.
    > >
    > > Your virus scanner is only as good as its last update. It is possible to

    get
    > > a new virus that is ahead of your scanner. This is the reason to be

    very
    > > cautious.
    > >
    > > It is possible that there may be some damage to the registry when a

    virus or
    > > poorly written adware program is removed. There is a utility called
    > > Regclean. I believe that this program is MS approved. You should be

    able to
    > > find it at downloads.com or any of these. This is a very good registry
    > > cleaner. If you have XP, do not use Regclean, unless you know that the
    > > version you have is okay for XP.
    > >
    > > The last resort for you would be to backup your user files, emails,

    email
    > > addresses, favorites, and whatever you want, and then reformat the

    drive.
    > > Then you can re-install everything back.
    > >
    > > I would suggest in the future to be a very prudent user, meaning to take
    > > caution what you install in your machine, and what emails you open.
    > >

    > Generally, I lubricate the system every Friday evening, prior to
    > shutdown. I must admit that I am prone to over-applying lubricant. I
    > am not sure that this particular lubricant, "Director's" is available
    > other than in the UK as it's manufacturer, Courage is fairly small and
    > cannot compete with its American and Australian counterparts which
    > produces lubricant that is more similar to Standard Oil 10W.
    >
    > I do try to take care what I do install but do like to experiment to
    > see what will and will not stay installed. BTW De-installing software
    > is one of my favourite activities.

    To avoid a sudden upload to the server of your Directory's, before
    proceeding take count of your downloads for the night. From personal
    experience, I find 23 downloads from a Theaksons server will unavoidably
    cause one automatic upload.
    PC
    Pool Champ, Apr 14, 2004
  8. Palindr?me wrote:

    > Generally, I lubricate the system every Friday evening, prior to
    > shutdown. I must admit that I am prone to over-applying lubricant. I
    > am not sure that this particular lubricant, "Director's" is available
    > other than in the UK as it's manufacturer, Courage is fairly small and
    > cannot compete with its American and Australian counterparts which
    > produces lubricant that is more similar to Standard Oil 10W.

    Do you recommend the fine mist or the stream?

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    The Ugliest Cars (mildly adult): http://snipurl.com/ugliest
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 15, 2004