slow to boot up after reformatted my SATA harddisk (HDD)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ko Po Hui, Dec 17, 2005.

  1. Ko Po Hui

    Ko Po Hui Guest

    Hi guys...

    here's the prob..(long but detailed) related to formatting my 80GB SATA HDD

    Weeks back, l scheduled to format my HDD (a practice for my case to do so).

    Previously
    ========
    Normally, l would "fdisk" the HDD before "format c:".

    After the formatting, l would installed Win98, before upgraded to Win XP and
    finished the setting up with the loading of drivers and softwares.

    Recently
    ======
    l can't figured out why l cant "fdisk" my 80GB HDD (normally, it does).

    Strangely, l only found out that "fdisk" only work for HDD up to 60GB or so
    (really scratched my head on that).

    So again, l decided to try a new method..

    l directly installed the Win XP , by booting up from the CD drive..

    As usually, the formatting was long and dreadful.. while it's not really the
    main concern.

    the main concern now is , it takes 3-4 minutes to boot up with all the
    setting loaded ,instead of 1-2 minutes prior the recent formatting..

    WOndering why, more details required to help solved the mystery, please feel
    free to ask , thanks
    (P.s: please reply to this thread directly, thanks)

    Ko Po Hui, Dec 17, 2005

  2. Ko Po Hui

    Frank Guest

    "Ko Po Hui" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys...
    >
    > here's the prob..(long but detailed) related to formatting my 80GB SATA

    HDD

    > Weeks back, l scheduled to format my HDD (a practice for my case to do

    so).

    > Previously
    > ========
    > Normally, l would "fdisk" the HDD before "format c:".
    >
    > After the formatting, l would installed Win98, before upgraded to Win XP

    and
    > finished the setting up with the loading of drivers and softwares.
    >
    > Recently
    > ======
    > l can't figured out why l cant "fdisk" my 80GB HDD (normally, it does).
    >
    > Strangely, l only found out that "fdisk" only work for HDD up to 60GB or

    so
    > (really scratched my head on that).
    >
    > So again, l decided to try a new method..
    >
    > l directly installed the Win XP , by booting up from the CD drive..
    >
    > As usually, the formatting was long and dreadful.. while it's not really

    the
    > main concern.
    >
    > the main concern now is , it takes 3-4 minutes to boot up with all the
    > setting loaded ,instead of 1-2 minutes prior the recent formatting..
    >
    > WOndering why, more details required to help solved the mystery, please

    feel
    > free to ask , thanks
    > (P.s: please reply to this thread directly, thanks)

    When you get into windows hit ctrl shift esc. Go to tab Process and see how
    many Processess are running. If you're above 35+/- this will drag down your
    start up. Also I would do a thorough scan with a good spware software. MS
    Antispyware Beta 1 is free and does a very good job. One of the tools it has
    is a way of helping your boot go faster. After installing your OS and any
    other programs you may have some addware/malware present draging down your
    system.

    Question:
    What type of system do you have? CPU? RAM? Front Bus Speed? Additional
    Drives?

    Frank

    Frank, Dec 17, 2005

  3. Ko Po Hui

    Trax Guest

    "Ko Po Hui" <> wrote:

    |> Hi guys...
    |>
    |>here's the prob..(long but detailed) related to formatting my 80GB SATA HDD
    |>
    |>Weeks back, l scheduled to format my HDD (a practice for my case to do so).
    |>
    |>Previously
    |>========
    |>Normally, l would "fdisk" the HDD before "format c:".
    |>
    |>After the formatting, l would installed Win98, before upgraded to Win XP and
    |>finished the setting up with the loading of drivers and softwares.
    |>
    |>Recently
    |>======
    |>l can't figured out why l cant "fdisk" my 80GB HDD (normally, it does).
    |>
    |>Strangely, l only found out that "fdisk" only work for HDD up to 60GB or so
    |>(really scratched my head on that).
    |>
    |>So again, l decided to try a new method..
    |>
    |>l directly installed the Win XP , by booting up from the CD drive..
    |>
    |>As usually, the formatting was long and dreadful.. while it's not really the
    |>main concern.
    |>
    |>the main concern now is , it takes 3-4 minutes to boot up with all the
    |>setting loaded ,instead of 1-2 minutes prior the recent formatting..
    |>
    |>WOndering why, more details required to help solved the mystery, please feel
    |>free to ask , thanks
    |>(P.s: please reply to this thread directly, thanks)

    Run MSCONFIG <enter> goto boot.ini and select bootlog - reboot,
    you should now have a bootlog.txt at the root of c:\

    Look at it with a text viewer and see what's taking so long to load.

    (I can't create one :} so forget how they look)

    Trax, Dec 17, 2005
  4. Ko Po Hui

    Noel Paton Guest

    "Ko Po Hui" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys...
    >
    > here's the prob..(long but detailed) related to formatting my 80GB SATA
    > HDD
    >
    > Weeks back, l scheduled to format my HDD (a practice for my case to do
    > so).
    >
    > Previously
    > ========
    > Normally, l would "fdisk" the HDD before "format c:".
    >
    > After the formatting, l would installed Win98, before upgraded to Win XP
    > and finished the setting up with the loading of drivers and softwares.
    >
    > Recently
    > ======
    > l can't figured out why l cant "fdisk" my 80GB HDD (normally, it does).
    >
    > Strangely, l only found out that "fdisk" only work for HDD up to 60GB or
    > so (really scratched my head on that).
    >
    > So again, l decided to try a new method..
    >
    > l directly installed the Win XP , by booting up from the CD drive..
    >
    > As usually, the formatting was long and dreadful.. while it's not really
    > the main concern.
    >
    > the main concern now is , it takes 3-4 minutes to boot up with all the
    > setting loaded ,instead of 1-2 minutes prior the recent formatting..
    >
    > WOndering why, more details required to help solved the mystery, please
    > feel free to ask , thanks
    > (P.s: please reply to this thread directly, thanks)

    I'm confused (OK - that's not too unusual)
    FDISK doesn't exist in Win XP - so what utility were you trying to partition
    the drive? - a Win9x floppy may not be able to partition the SATA drive
    because Win9x doesn't understand SATA (although it can use SATA for data,
    you can't install the OS on a SATA drive) - at this point I have to admit to
    a total lack of experience in SATA use.
    What File system did you use for the WinXP install? - FAT32 or NTFS? - XP
    can't create FAT32 partitions greater than 32GB, but I'm not aware of any
    other significant size limitation below 127/138GB.
    Is your BIOS actually capable of seeing the whole drive - or do you need
    Drive Overlay to access the whole drive?

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Dec 17, 2005
  5. Ko Po Hui

    old man Guest

    And why on earth are you installing win9* then upgrading to winxp

    old man, Dec 17, 2005