    How can I speed up my system?

    Thanks,
    Llamasopra
    Llamasopra, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Llamasopra

    kevin Guest

    You can try and remove some of the programs that you don't use.
    This will free up disk space. Is your drive 5400 or 7200 rpm? That could
    speed it up.
    Change the internet explorer option to delete files after 2 or 3 days.
    Keep a close eye on whaty load when the pc start. Any thing in the right
    corner you don't need turn it off till you need it.

    I think deleting the old files will make it run better.

    If not reformat and load window.

    kevin

    kevin, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Llamasopra

    Boomer Guest

    Llamasopra, <> wrote:

    > One of my computers runs on Windows ME. (400 megs of RAM, 20 GB
    > hard disk space, P3). But it gets really slow at times and
    > almost freezes. I defragment about once a month and clear the
    > cache every now and then. I also have zonealarm and avg running
    > full-time. I defragment about once a month, but I don't want to
    > upgrade to another OS.
    >
    > How can I speed up my system?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Llamasopra

    Cleaned out your cache, history, temp and cookie files more often.
    (Restart the computer first, then clean.)

    Have you done a _thorough_ scan disk and then defrag _lately_?
    Do you have all the current patches/updates for all your software?

    Ran your antivirus program lately? Ad-aware and SpybotSD? Any screen
    saver's running in the background?
    Check whats running in the backgroud (Ctrl Atl Del to check.).
    Find Fast enabled (MSOffice)? My Documents folder full?
    Firewall? Norton products installed? Any newly installed programs?

    Here's a few links than may help with cleaning up your HD
    if you think that may be an issue.
    http://www.infinisource.com/techfiles/clean_hd.html
    http://members.aol.com/mswebbie/space.htm
    http://www.toejumper.net/maintain4/del4.htm
    Mike's Basic computer maintenance

    Hope these tips help.
    Boomer, Nov 23, 2003
  4. Llamasopra

    Miggsee Guest

    Alas, that's the nature of WinME. You must limit your background apps to the
    bare bones!
    Many of the programs starting up do not really need to be running (waiting
    to run).
    Use this site to help you slim the line-up starting:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

    Use msconfig (Start> Run >Startup) to find out what is really running, and
    then go into the programs that you don't need running, and eliminate their
    starting. As a last resort, if you can't find how to disable them from
    within the program, uncheck them in msconfig.

    Do this slowly and cautiously, with frequent reboots. You want to monitor
    your pcs performance.
    Win ME definitely needs:
    StateMgr
    2 LoadPowerProfiles - if you are using Power Management
    ScanRegistry
    systray.exe
    TaskMonitor
    Optional, but desired:
    ZoneAlarm entry(s)
    AVG entries

    Good Luck!

    Miggsee, Nov 23, 2003
  5. Llamasopra

    Greg M Guest

    How big is C:\_Restore ?

    I just went through my dad's machine. He's got files from 2000, (the
    year!!) in it.

    Llamasopra <> wrote in

    Greg M, Nov 24, 2003