    around 2 minutes then carries on to start successfully.
    any way to fix this
    thanks in advance, Paul

    Paul H, Jan 7, 2005

  2. Paul H

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Paul H" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | when I start my pc it stops at the windows is logging in screen for
    | around 2 minutes then carries on to start successfully.
    | any way to fix this
    | thanks in advance, Paul

    Did it just start doing this?

    Toolman Tim, Jan 8, 2005

  3. Paul H

    Guest

    There are many reasons for this. If you have a NIC card it may be
    waiting for the NIC responce. It may also be waiting for a responce
    from some device or card that is slow to respond for its own reason.

    If you were to start in the troubleshooting mode, where you can make
    the computer start step-by-step, you would most likely be able to work
    out which device, or what is making it slow start. You would be able to
    then deal with it, or determine if it is a normal situation.

    Jerry G.
    ========

    Paul H wrote:
    > when I start my pc it stops at the windows is logging in screen for
    > around 2 minutes then carries on to start successfully.
    > any way to fix this
    > thanks in advance, Paul

    , Jan 8, 2005
  4. Paul H

    GFG Guest

    When that happens to my computer I run from the Start Menu "msconfig" and
    click on the Start Up Tab. You can check or uncheck the programs that you
    want to start up every time your computer restarts. Most of the times I ran
    msconfig,I found programs starting that I didn't really need,so by
    unchecking the boxes,I cut down on the number which allowed my computer to
    start up faster.

    GFG, Jan 8, 2005
  5. It is really NOT good to use msconfig as a cure-all for starting
    programs. It is swell for diagnosing, but after you have found the
    culprit, you would need to re-enable it, and use StartupCPL to
    nuke it from the registry. StartupCPL is one of the first, if not
    the first program I install, most of the time, when working on a
    problem computer. I couldn't do without it.

    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    This program is one that will help you, when you can't find the
    turn-off switch in the offending program.

    Jus my 2¢.

    @}-}-------Rosee, Jan 8, 2005
  6. Paul H

    sjh Guest

    On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 16:29:20 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >"Paul H" <> wrote in message
    >| when I start my pc it stops at the windows is logging in screen for
    >| around 2 minutes then carries on to start successfully.
    >| any way to fix this
    >| thanks in advance, Paul
    >
    >Did it just start doing this?

    Sort of....
    It started running quite slow so I installed spybot S&D, then I
    uninstalled Mcafee(trial version) and replaced with kaspersky.
    They removed 55 spyware and 39 viruses.
    It was starting faster, but then I removed a couple of items regarding
    MSN messenger from within Hijackthis.
    I think the problem lies with messenger plus, but son won't uninstall
    it as it has more features than the normal version, apparently.
    I've also tried a repair install of XP, which didn't help.

    Paul H

    sjh, Jan 8, 2005
  7. Paul H

    Paul H Guest