Slow start to open web pages

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by sheila, Dec 8, 2005.

  1. sheila

    sheila Guest

    Hi

    I can start computer up, and connect to my BT broadband as normal, but after
    connecting it takes much longer than it used to to connect to the yahoo
    browser, Task manager, internet explorer and just about anything else web
    related or not.

    When Task manager eventually opens there is a hell of a lot of processes
    going on. User names Compaq-owner (thats me), Local service, network
    service and system. I haven't got the other computer in my home network on
    when this happens.

    Is there somewhere I should post all the processes for a diagnoses or has
    anyone a clue.

    If of any help on the processes in task manager there is 71 processes and
    just 4-7% cpu usage. Whilst slow hard disc is going green and amber, and
    once its got over the slow start everything opens as quickly as normal.
    Applications adn task manager do seem to open quicker when I am not on line.
    Same amount of processes when not online.

    Thanks for any help please.

    Win XP
    Compaq Presario
    Home edition
    service pack 2
    Version 2002
    3.40 GHz
    1.00 GBRam

    Norton Internet Security 2005
    sheila, Dec 8, 2005

  2. sheila wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I can start computer up, and connect to my BT broadband as normal, but after
    > connecting it takes much longer than it used to to connect to the yahoo
    > browser, Task manager, internet explorer and just about anything else web
    > related or not.
    >
    > When Task manager eventually opens there is a hell of a lot of processes
    > going on. User names Compaq-owner (thats me), Local service, network
    > service and system. I haven't got the other computer in my home network on
    > when this happens.
    >
    > Is there somewhere I should post all the processes for a diagnoses or has
    > anyone a clue.
    >

    > If of any help on the processes in task manager there is 71 processes and
    > just 4-7% cpu usage. Whilst slow hard disc is going green and amber, and
    > once its got over the slow start everything opens as quickly as normal.
    > Applications adn task manager do seem to open quicker when I am not on line.
    > Same amount of processes when not online.
    >

    > Thanks for any help please.
    >

    > Win XP
    > Compaq Presario
    > Home edition
    > service pack 2
    > Version 2002
    > 3.40 GHz
    > 1.00 GBRam
    >
    > Norton Internet Security 2005

    I suggest you go to www.pcpitstop.com/ and full test your system.
    I further advise you to get rid of SP2 and find a replacement for Norton
    while you are at it.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Dec 8, 2005

  3. sheila

    Noel Paton Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > sheila wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I can start computer up, and connect to my BT broadband as normal, but
    >> after
    >> connecting it takes much longer than it used to to connect to the yahoo
    >> browser, Task manager, internet explorer and just about anything else web
    >> related or not.
    >>
    >> When Task manager eventually opens there is a hell of a lot of processes
    >> going on. User names Compaq-owner (thats me), Local service, network
    >> service and system. I haven't got the other computer in my home network
    >> on
    >> when this happens.
    >>
    >> Is there somewhere I should post all the processes for a diagnoses or has
    >> anyone a clue.
    >>

    >> If of any help on the processes in task manager there is 71 processes and
    >> just 4-7% cpu usage. Whilst slow hard disc is going green and amber, and
    >> once its got over the slow start everything opens as quickly as normal.
    >> Applications adn task manager do seem to open quicker when I am not on
    >> line. Same amount of processes when not online.
    >>

    >> Thanks for any help please.
    >>

    >> Win XP
    >> Compaq Presario
    >> Home edition
    >> service pack 2
    >> Version 2002
    >> 3.40 GHz
    >> 1.00 GBRam
    >>
    >> Norton Internet Security 2005
    >>

    > I suggest you go to www.pcpitstop.com/ and full test your system.
    > I further advise you to get rid of SP2 and find a replacement for Norton
    > while you are at it.

    Sheila
    DO NOT uninstall SP2!!!! - doing so will leave your system in a seriously
    vulnerable state!!

    Be very careful about some of the advice at PCPitStop - I've found it very
    variable in quality.

    You may have a virus/spyware hijack

    download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
    viruses are not present on your PC
    http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp

    - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.

    Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
    CoolWebSearch hijacker.

    Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
    http://www.trendmicro.com/cwshredder/

    download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
    update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
    your system.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Dec 8, 2005
  4. Noel Paton wrote:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>sheila wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>I can start computer up, and connect to my BT broadband as normal, but
    >>>after
    >>>connecting it takes much longer than it used to to connect to the yahoo
    >>>browser, Task manager, internet explorer and just about anything else web
    >>>related or not.
    >>>
    >>>When Task manager eventually opens there is a hell of a lot of processes
    >>>going on. User names Compaq-owner (thats me), Local service, network
    >>>service and system. I haven't got the other computer in my home network
    >>>on
    >>>when this happens.
    >>>
    >>>Is there somewhere I should post all the processes for a diagnoses or has
    >>>anyone a clue.
    >>>

    >>>If of any help on the processes in task manager there is 71 processes and
    >>>just 4-7% cpu usage. Whilst slow hard disc is going green and amber, and
    >>>once its got over the slow start everything opens as quickly as normal.
    >>>Applications adn task manager do seem to open quicker when I am not on
    >>>line. Same amount of processes when not online.
    >>>

    >>>Thanks for any help please.
    >>>

    >>>Win XP
    >>>Compaq Presario
    >>>Home edition
    >>>service pack 2
    >>>Version 2002
    >>>3.40 GHz
    >>>1.00 GBRam
    >>>
    >>>Norton Internet Security 2005
    >>>

    >>I suggest you go to www.pcpitstop.com/ and full test your system.
    >>I further advise you to get rid of SP2 and find a replacement for Norton
    >>while you are at it.

    > Sheila
    > DO NOT uninstall SP2!!!! - doing so will leave your system in a seriously
    > vulnerable state!!

    Not if a decent firewall is installed. Outpost being top of my list.
    And eTrust antivirus along with it.

    > Be very careful about some of the advice at PCPitStop - I've found it very
    > variable in quality.

    Some advice is better than no advice.

    > You may have a virus/spyware hijack

    Maybe Ad-Aware could help here too.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Dec 8, 2005
  5. sheila

    Noel Paton Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >
    >> "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    >>>I suggest you go to www.pcpitstop.com/ and full test your system.
    >>>I further advise you to get rid of SP2 and find a replacement for Norton
    >>>while you are at it.

    >> Sheila
    >> DO NOT uninstall SP2!!!! - doing so will leave your system in a seriously
    >> vulnerable state!!

    > Not if a decent firewall is installed. Outpost being top of my list.
    > And eTrust antivirus along with it.

    The SP1 PC is still vulnerable - a lot of security stuff was included in SP2
    that isn't anywhere else.
    Just having a firewall/AV does NOT stop problems!! (and the ICF in SP1 is
    just as good as Outpost for incoming - although, granted it won't stop or
    spot outgoing, that was never its purpose)

    >> Be very careful about some of the advice at PCPitStop - I've found it
    >> very variable in quality.

    > Some advice is better than no advice.

    true - but then, that's why the OP came here in the first place, right?
    Noel Paton, Dec 8, 2005
  6. sheila

    sheila Guest

    big snip

    Thanks guys I already have adaware (been using it for years)spybot. I will
    try the other things. I used AVG for years until I got this Norton Internet
    security 2005, already got rid of the Norton Goback cos that caused probs.
    I've heard Mcafee or whatever it's called is just as bad. I do have my
    suspicions of Norton but as I have recently setup a home network thought
    something along Norton lines would be good.I'll keep it for now.

    I'll try the other things.
    sheila, Dec 8, 2005