    I hope I have covered every thing . any help would be very very much
    appreciated
    regards and thanks Kenny O'Rourke

    Kenny O'Rourke, Mar 16, 2006

  2. Kenny O'Rourke

    someone Guest

    "Kenny O'Rourke" <> wrote in message
    news:dvciqh$c60$...
    > Hi all
    > Can any kind news reader please help me with my computer it is
    > running very very slow it takes ages 5min or more to start up and shut
    > down slow all round in general. Is there any web sites where I can get
    > ideas to help me speed up my computer . suggestions tips anything that
    > can help I am running windows xp 1.8 GHz. 256mb ddr-sdram 40gb so it says
    > on the side of the tower .I imagine I have the normal kind of things
    > installed on it or are they helping to slow it down Encarta. Norton anti
    > virus .auto express Nero. office 2003 eBay tool bar just the normal things
    > you would have I have broadband it is a Compaq Presario
    > I hope I have covered every thing . any help would be very very much
    > appreciated
    > regards and thanks Kenny O'Rourke

    Have you cleaned out all the accumulated rubbish, like cookies, temp
    internet etc. ?.
    If not d\load and install CCleaner from here:
    www.ccleaner.com/
    Use It Carefully !. and clean out all the detritus.
    Go into your Event Viewer and check for any errors\problems.
    You are a bit light on the amount of ram 512 is good, 1Gig is excellent.
    How full is your hard drive ?.
    Do a defrag.
    That`ll keep you busy for a while. Every little helps.

    --
    bw..OJ

    someone, Mar 16, 2006

  3. Kenny O'Rourke

    Adi Guest

    1. Clean computer of temporary files.

    "Kenny O'Rourke" <> je napisal v sporoèilo
    news:dvciqh$c60$ ...

    Adi, Mar 16, 2006
  4. Kenny O'Rourke

    PC Guest

    > Hi all
    > Can any kind news reader please help me with my computer it is
    > running very very slow it takes ages 5min or more to start up and shut
    > down slow all round in general. Is there any web sites where I can get
    > ideas to help me speed up my computer . suggestions tips anything that
    > can help I am running windows xp 1.8 GHz. 256mb ddr-sdram 40gb so it says
    > on the side of the tower .I imagine I have the normal kind of things
    > installed on it or are they helping to slow it down Encarta. Norton anti
    > virus .auto express Nero. office 2003 eBay tool bar just the normal things
    > you would have I have broadband it is a Compaq Presario
    > I hope I have covered every thing . any help would be very very much
    > appreciated
    > regards and thanks Kenny O'Rourke

    Kenny

    1 Go to
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&defl=en&q=define:Spyware
    read up and understand what 'Spyware' is, then download the following
    freeware tools, install, update and scan with them.

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder

    There are others but that should clear any major infections of Spyware.

    2 Remove Norton Anti Virus and replace it with the Freeware AVG Anti Virus
    (Norton is known to be bloatware and seriously affect modest PC's like
    your's performance)
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

    3 Add another 256 or 512 MB of Ram.
    Though 256MB meet's XP's requirements all Tech's will tell you it doesnt go
    well until it has 512MB or more of Ram to work in.
    This is also very relevant for Norton's performance.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Mar 16, 2006
  5. Kenny O'Rourke

    Guest

    Kenny O'Rourke wrote:
    > Hi all
    > Can any kind news reader please help me with my computer it is
    > running very very slow it takes ages 5min or more to start up and shut down
    > slow all round in general. Is there any web sites where I can get ideas to
    > help me speed up my computer . suggestions tips anything that can help I
    > am running windows xp 1.8 GHz. 256mb ddr-sdram 40gb so it says on the side
    > of the tower .I imagine I have the normal kind of things installed on it or
    > are they helping to slow it down Encarta. Norton anti virus .auto express
    > Nero. office 2003 eBay tool bar just the normal things you would have I have
    > broadband it is a Compaq Presario
    > I hope I have covered every thing . any help would be very very much
    > appreciated
    > regards and thanks Kenny O'Rourke

    Make sure you run Lavasoft Ad-Aware and Spy Bot S&D sounds like you are
    loaded with spyware.

    , Mar 16, 2006
  6. Kenny O'Rourke wrote:

    > Hi all
    > Can any kind news reader please help me with my computer it is
    > running very very slow it takes ages 5min or more to start up and shut
    > down
    > slow all round in general. Is there any web sites where I can get ideas
    > help me speed up my computer . suggestions tips anything that can help I
    > am running windows xp 1.8 GHz. 256mb ddr-sdram 40gb so it says on the side
    > of the tower .I imagine I have the normal kind of things installed on it
    > or are they helping to slow it down Encarta. Norton anti virus .auto
    > express Nero. office 2003 eBay tool bar just the normal things you would
    > have I have broadband it is a Compaq Presario

    No complete remote diagnosis possible.
    First, start in "safe mode" (press F8 a few times just when the bios bootup
    or logo screen disappears and the white progress bar appears.
    Now does it take just as long to start, or is it remarkably quicker?
    If yes, you probably have a spyware /virus problem.
    If it's just as slow and your harddrive led appears to be lit almost
    steadily while starting, and considering the possible type and age of your
    harddrive (1.8G->3yrs, 40GB->a good chance it's a deathstar crap) you may
    better backup what's important (emails, address book, "My Documents"
    folder, serials ...) and find out about the brand of your HD in device
    manager, then download the diagnosis floppy and do as suggested.
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Mar 16, 2006
  7. Kenny O'Rourke

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-03-16, <> wrote:

    > Kenny O'Rourke wrote:
    >> Hi all
    >> Can any kind news reader please help me with my computer it is
    >> running very very slow it takes ages 5min or more to start up and shut down
    >> slow all round in general. Is there any web sites where I can get ideas to
    >> help me speed up my computer . suggestions tips anything that can help I
    >> am running windows xp 1.8 GHz. 256mb ddr-sdram 40gb so it says on the side
    >> of the tower .I imagine I have the normal kind of things installed on it or
    >> are they helping to slow it down Encarta. Norton anti virus .auto express
    >> Nero. office 2003 eBay tool bar just the normal things you would have I have
    >> broadband it is a Compaq Presario
    >> I hope I have covered every thing . any help would be very very much
    >> appreciated
    >> regards and thanks Kenny O'Rourke

    > Make sure you run Lavasoft Ad-Aware and Spy Bot S&D sounds like you are
    > loaded with spyware.

    Something is doing strange things to punctuation, grammar, and syntax,
    too.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 17, 2006
  8. Kenny O'Rourke

    Billh Guest

    Kenny O'Rourke wrote:
    > Hi all
    > Can any kind news reader please help me with my computer it is
    > running very very slow it takes ages 5min or more to start up and shut down
    > slow all round in general. Is there any web sites where I can get ideas to
    > help me speed up my computer . suggestions tips anything that can help I
    > am running windows xp 1.8 GHz. 256mb ddr-sdram 40gb so it says on the side
    > of the tower .I imagine I have the normal kind of things installed on it or
    > are they helping to slow it down Encarta. Norton anti virus .auto express
    > Nero. office 2003 eBay tool bar just the normal things you would have I have
    > broadband it is a Compaq Presario
    > I hope I have covered every thing . any help would be very very much
    > appreciated
    > regards and thanks Kenny O'Rourke

    First I would go to http://www.crucial.com/index.asp and find your
    computers model and buy 256 megs of memory. Then I would buy the anti
    virus program Nod32. Install the memory. Then backup all your
    documents and write down any setting and passwords you might need. Make
    sure you have the install disks of all your software if you have
    downloaded software make sure you have backed up the install files.

    Then boot your computer to the Restore partition and have it format your
    drive and restore back to the way you got the computer.

    Once back and running install Nod32 then go to Windows update and get
    everything they have for you. Then go to Microsoft.com/spyware and get
    Defender it will stop spyware. Set Windows Nod32 and Defender to auto
    update. Then go to getfirefox.com and install it and make it your
    default browser.

    This will speed your computer up.

    Billh, Mar 17, 2006
  9. Kenny O'Rourke

    Mitch Guest

    In article <dvciqh$c60$>, Kenny O'Rourke
    <> wrote:

    > I imagine I have the normal kind of things installed on it or
    > are they helping to slow it down Encarta. Norton anti virus .auto express
    > Nero. office 2003 eBay tool bar just the normal things you would have I have

    If this is meant as a list, no, I doubt it is typical, maybe not even
    common.
    Encarta? Does this have an executable that is running all the time?
    NAV has a terrible reputation in this group, apparently because of the
    background activity tool.
    I'm assuming Auto Express is some add-on to check mail? No, I suspect
    most people just open their mail program.
    Nero shouldn't have to do anything unless you are actually burning
    something, right? So it isn't running?
    eBay toolbar? I don't think I know anyone who uses that. It might do
    almost anything -- have you tried turning that off? have you considered
    if it is of any use at all?
    I thouht the general attitude here about toolbar add-ons was that most
    of them are unnecessary junk, better avoided than ever installed.

    Mitch, Mar 17, 2006
  10. Kenny O'Rourke

    ronald price Guest

    I would suggest that when you have started your system open the task manager
    by pressing 'ctrl, alt and delete at the same time. Then click on the
    performance tab to see how much of your processor is being used, im guessing
    it will be at 100% all the time. Now click on the processes tab, from there
    you can see exactly what programs are using the processor. It is a
    possibility that you may see IEexplporer taking up a lot even though it
    isn't running. If this is the case then I think you may have a virus. Avast
    antivirus is a good freeware prog. Very effective. Failing that I would do a
    OS reinstall.

    Ron

    ronald price, Mar 17, 2006
  11. On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 20:45:48 -0000, "Kenny O'Rourke"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all
    > Can any kind news reader please help me with my computer it is
    >running very very slow it takes ages 5min or more to start up and shut down
    >slow all round in general. Is there any web sites where I can get ideas to
    >help me speed up my computer . suggestions tips anything that can help I
    >am running windows xp 1.8 GHz. 256mb ddr-sdram 40gb so it says on the side
    >of the tower .I imagine I have the normal kind of things installed on it or
    >are they helping to slow it down Encarta. Norton anti virus .auto express
    >Nero. office 2003 eBay tool bar just the normal things you would have I have
    >broadband it is a Compaq Presario
    >I hope I have covered every thing . any help would be very very much
    >appreciated
    >regards and thanks Kenny O'Rourke

    I didn't see anyone else ask, so I will...is it substantially slower
    than it was when it was brand new? If not, it is probably related to
    hardware. If it is quite a bit slower than before, it is probably
    software.

    A 1800+ is fast enough for most of your tasks. 256MB is a bit short.
    40GB is enough for many people's needs, unless you collect music or
    pictures or movies, etc.

    The suggestion about adding memory is a good one, but doesn't go far
    enough. Windows XP likes 512MB of RAM or more. Since it is a Compaq,
    there is a good chance your 256MB is two sticks of 128MB. Compaq does
    that to save themselves a few pennies, literally.

    As cheap as RAM is, get 512MB, not just 256MB more. It will run a
    little better and costs a VERY few dollars more. As was said, be sure
    to research so you get the right kind. There are dozens of types of
    RAM and almost none are interchangeable. Get a name brand, not a store
    brand. Especially don't get the CompUSA store brand. My experience is
    that it is of inferior quality and that their technical support is
    essentially non-existant. As a repair technician for a recomendation,
    NOT a sales person!

    Typically, this is a software problem. As said by others, you probably
    have a lot of malware, including spyware. There may also be a virus or
    two, even with an anti-virus program. Have you run a hard drive
    diagnostic and defragmented lately? If not, try that also.

    IF it is a software problem I agree with the suggestion that you
    reload Windows and disagree with the suggestions that you try to find
    and fix the problems. Theory says that can be done, but practice says
    it is too complicated for most people. I get a lot of machines where
    the owner got the programs to clean and they didn't fix the problem.

    Instead, just reload Windows to start from scratch. You should use the
    same version you now have, but with service pack 2 on the CD. Your id
    number, on the sticker on the machine, should still work.

    computer repair pro, Mar 17, 2006
  12. Kenny O'Rourke

    Mellowed Guest

    There have been many good suggestions for this problem. I didn't see
    anyone suggesting ideas on locating the reason for the slow computer.

    It is very probable that you have many unnecessary programs running in
    the background. Review what's running (Cntl, Alt,Delete) and
    selectively 'end task' on unnecessary programs. See if you have
    increased speed.

    You can also go to RUN and enter MSCONFIG. Select the 'start up' tab
    and 'uncheck' unnecessary programs. Reboot and see if you have
    increased your speed. Be sure to uncheck NORTON also.

    After you have identified the CPU hog you will be able to make a
    decision on corrective action.

[...]
    :
    :

    Mellowed, Mar 17, 2006
  13. Kenny O'Rourke

    reijkie Guest

    Kenny O'Rourke schreef:

    > Hi all
    > Can any kind news reader please help me with my computer it is
    > running very very slow it takes ages 5min or more to start up and shut down
    > slow all round in general. Is there any web sites where I can get ideas to
    > help me speed up my computer . suggestions tips anything that can help I
    > am running windows xp 1.8 GHz. 256mb ddr-sdram 40gb so it says on the side
    > of the tower .I imagine I have the normal kind of things installed on it or
    > are they helping to slow it down Encarta. Norton anti virus .auto express
    > Nero. office 2003 eBay tool bar just the normal things you would have I have
    > broadband it is a Compaq Presario
    > I hope I have covered every thing . any help would be very very much
    > appreciated
    > regards and thanks Kenny O'Rourke

    I experienced a similar problem, had to look 3 minutes at the windows
    logo and after that everything was ssslllooowww. I found the problem to
    be the hard disk. It ran in PIO mode instead of UDMA. Don't know what
    caused it. You can easily check it if you follow the instructions on
    the following web-site I found: http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

    The solution that is on the website worked for me and my system is OK
    again, there is nothing wrong with the hard disk, just the UDMA setting
    was lost!

    reijkie, Apr 4, 2006
  14. Kenny O'Rourke

    Peaches Guest

    "reijkie" <> wrote in message

    > Kenny O'Rourke schreef:
    >
    >> Hi all
    >> Can any kind news reader please help me with my computer it is
    >> running very very slow it takes ages 5min or more to start up and shut
    >> down
    >> slow all round in general. Is there any web sites where I can get ideas
    >> help me speed up my computer . suggestions tips anything that can help
    >> am running windows xp 1.8 GHz. 256mb ddr-sdram 40gb so it says on the
    >> side
    >> of the tower .I imagine I have the normal kind of things installed on it
    >> or
    >> are they helping to slow it down Encarta. Norton anti virus .auto express
    >> Nero. office 2003 eBay tool bar just the normal things you would have I
    >> have
    >> broadband it is a Compaq Presario
    >> I hope I have covered every thing . any help would be very very much
    >> appreciated
    >> regards and thanks Kenny O'Rourke

    > I experienced a similar problem, had to look 3 minutes at the windows
    > logo and after that everything was ssslllooowww. I found the problem to
    > be the hard disk. It ran in PIO mode instead of UDMA. Don't know what
    > caused it. You can easily check it if you follow the instructions on
    > the following web-site I found: http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm
    >
    > The solution that is on the website worked for me and my system is OK
    > again, there is nothing wrong with the hard disk, just the UDMA setting
    > was lost!

    There are a whole heap of processes and applications that load
    with Windows, it is the usual step to troubleshoot these first for
    conflicts, errors etc.
    Follow this MS knowledgebase article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560/en-us

    Peaches, Apr 4, 2006
  15. Kenny O'Rourke

    Moke G Guest

    "reijkie" <> wrote in message

    > Kenny O'Rourke schreef:
    >
    >> Hi all
    >> Can any kind news reader please help me with my computer it is
    >> running very very slow it takes ages 5min or more to start up and shut
    >> down
    >> slow all round in general. Is there any web sites where I can get ideas
    >> help me speed up my computer . suggestions tips anything that can help
    >> am running windows xp 1.8 GHz. 256mb ddr-sdram 40gb so it says on the
    >> side
    >> of the tower .I imagine I have the normal kind of things installed on it
    >> or
    >> are they helping to slow it down Encarta. Norton anti virus .auto express
    >> Nero. office 2003 eBay tool bar just the normal things you would have I
    >> have
    >> broadband it is a Compaq Presario
    >> I hope I have covered every thing . any help would be very very much
    >> appreciated
    >> regards and thanks Kenny O'Rourke

    Just a thought -- you may or may not be virus free, but are you sure that
    you are SPYWARE free. First of all, get rid of most of your programs in your
    StartUp menu. After that try one of the excellent free on-line scanners
    available (links below). I'll place any bet that these will pull out 1 or
    more bits of SpyWare which is slowing your PC right down.

    http://www.bitdefender.com

    http://www.precisesecurity.com/antivirus/online-scan.htm

    Good Luck !

    Moke G.