    We have checked the start up and there are not many programmes running in
    the background, he is using wi fi to access the broadband, why is it so
    slow.
    carololine, Aug 16, 2006

  2. carololine wrote:

    > My son has a Packard Bell laptop running Windows XP.
    > The lap takes an age to boot also seems to be running very slow

    First thing I would look for on a slow computer is malware sending spam.

    > on 2gb broadband.

    2GB? Wow, where can I get some of that?

    > We have checked the start up and there are not many programmes running
    > in the background, he is using wi fi to access the broadband, why is
    > it so slow.

    ...or someone else is using his wireless network. Is it secured? Does he
    have a firewall?

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 16, 2006

  3. carololine

    PeeCee Guest

    "carololine" <> wrote in message
    > My son has a Packard Bell laptop running Windows XP.
    > The lap takes an age to boot also seems to be running very slow on 2gb
    > broadband.
    > We have checked the start up and there are not many programmes running in
    > the background, he is using wi fi to access the broadband, why is it so
    > slow.

    As BTS says check for Virus/Spyware.
    Do a search on Google for "online Virus scan"

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Aug 17, 2006
  4. carololine

    BIGEYE Guest

    Well it is a Packard Bell - what else do you expect?

    BIGEYE, Aug 17, 2006
  5. carololine

    Plato Guest

    carololine wrote:

    > My son has a Packard Bell laptop running Windows XP.
    > The lap takes an age to boot also seems to be running very slow on 2gb
    > broadband.
    > We have checked the start up and there are not many programmes running in
    > the background, he is using wi fi to access the broadband, why is it so
    > slow.

    Most spyware that slows down pcs wont show up as "background" apps.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 17, 2006
  6. In article <5FMEg.1259$>,
    "carololine" <> wrote:

    > My son has a Packard Bell laptop running Windows XP.
    > The lap takes an age to boot also seems to be running very slow on 2gb
    > broadband.
    > We have checked the start up and there are not many programmes running in
    > the background, he is using wi fi to access the broadband, why is it so
    > slow.

    CPU?
    RAM?
    Things (like virus checkers) running?