    512MB PC3200, Seagate 80GB SATA etc. So there should not be a reduction. I
    test the trial 32bit Vista Beta version in same computer and this works
    perfectly.Does anyone recognize similiar behavior? Any ideas?
    Viktor Vartsun, Jul 26, 2006

  2. Viktor Vartsun

    DP Guest

    I do have a slow bootup process as well. I'd say from power on until I can
    actually use the machine is 3 minutes or longer. Part of that, though, is
    due to the fact that Avast antivirus always checks for updates on boot.
    I'm using two hard drives for a total of about 170 gigs. Does Windows have
    to do some kind of scan of both drives to find all the stuff associated with
    desktop icons when it boots? Maybe that's part of my problem.

    I don't have a problem with slow program starts.

    DP, Jul 26, 2006

  3. "DP" wrote:

    > I do have a slow bootup process as well. I'd say from power on until I can
    > actually use the machine is 3 minutes or longer. Part of that, though, is
    > due to the fact that Avast antivirus always checks for updates on boot.
    > I'm using two hard drives for a total of about 170 gigs. Does Windows have
    > to do some kind of scan of both drives to find all the stuff associated with
    > desktop icons when it boots? Maybe that's part of my problem.
    >
    > I don't have a problem with slow program starts.

    A slow boot could also be caused by having USB devices mounted; see this
    thread
    http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=80294.0
    =?Utf-8?B?amFubWFuX2Rr?=, Jul 26, 2006
  4. Viktor Vartsun

    mikeyhsd Guest

    delete the contents of the PREFETCH folder and reboot.
    not the folder just the contents.
    it under WINDOWS.

    microsoft keeps tabs on everything you run.
    the system is chasing its tail trying to find things that are no longer there.
    when you uninstall programs they are NOT removed from the prefetch folder and the AUTO timed removal frequently does not work.

    mikeyhsd, Jul 26, 2006
  5. I finally decided to go for a fresh install and everything runs quicker now.
    Avast Antivirus is still there but it doesn't extend boot time at all.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 26, 2006
  6. Viktor Vartsun

    DP Guest

    "janman_dk" <> wrote in message

    > A slow boot could also be caused by having USB devices mounted; see this
    > thread
    > http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=80294.0

    Thanks, but that looks like it might be specific to MSI boards?
    DP, Jul 27, 2006
  7. Viktor Vartsun

    DP Guest

    I tried that but it didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion.

    My system was running with an 80 gig WD drive.
    Then I added a Maxtor 100 GB drive.
    That's when it seems like the boot time really lenghtened, so I was wondering if Windows was polling that drive on startup. I have not gone back to try to unhook the Maxtor to see if that helps.
    Both drives are using SATA.

    DP, Jul 27, 2006
  8. If your BIOS have support for IDE and SATA and the options are separated,
    you could have a considerable boost from disabling support for whatever you
    don't have. For some early chipsets I would recommend re-installation if you
    go from IDE only to adding a SATA later and having problems.

    Actually, disabling support in the BIOS for anything you don't have is very
    efficient.

    Removing Icons you don't use from the Desktop/QuickLaunch and SystemTray
    might be good too. The fewer - the better!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 28, 2006