Slow PC

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by A, Oct 27, 2004.

  1. A

    A Guest

    Ok I need some help here. I'm trying to fix a PC but am stumped as to
    whats the problem.

    Its owned by a non-PC user so the info I'm getting from them is fairly
    limited.

    The problem is two fold

    a) Nortons Antivirus 2002 won't complete an automatic update, bombing
    out part way through (so I've been told).

    b) the PC is seriously running slow. It seems to be accessing the HDD
    all the time and I get an hourglass more often than not. When I check
    it's running two small apps (HP Media Centre & Kodak organiser of some
    sort)

    Other useful info:

    - Performance under Windows Task Manager shows around 11MB available
    physical memory (from 128 but I think there's shared system/video ram)
    - Nortons Antivirus 2002 is running and recently detected the "Trojan
    Horse Virus" and quarantined it. I don't think this is the cause of
    the problem (although Norton's may be).
    - Running SP2 although the owner doesn't know how it got there.

    PC Specs:
    - HP Celeron 1.8Ghz PC
    - 128MB Ram
    - 40GB HDD
    - Windows XP SP2

    My first guess was a lack of ram and too many apps running. The way
    the HDD light lights up seems to confirm it. However the PC was
    running fine a little while ago and all of a sudden seems to be
    incredibly slow now. It doesn't explain why Nortons AV 2002 won't
    update itself either. My second guess is that SP2 has bumped up the
    minimum ram requirements.

    The answers probably simple but I'm tired and can't think straight.

    Any ideas?

    A, Oct 27, 2004

  2. A

    # Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:35:52 +1300, A wrote:

    > Ok I need some help here. I'm trying to fix a PC but am stumped as to
    > whats the problem.
    >
    > Its owned by a non-PC user so the info I'm getting from them is fairly
    > limited.
    >
    > The problem is two fold
    >
    > a) Nortons Antivirus 2002 won't complete an automatic update, bombing
    > out part way through (so I've been told).
    >
    > b) the PC is seriously running slow. It seems to be accessing the HDD
    > all the time and I get an hourglass more often than not. When I check
    > it's running two small apps (HP Media Centre & Kodak organiser of some
    > sort)

    Sounds very much like the activity and presence of possibly multiple
    instances of trojans/worms/virii/spyware.

    Ideally, you could run something like FProt from the XP Command Prompt (F8)
    before it loads up Windows, then once in Windows try something like
    RegCleaner to remove any dodgy registry settings and startup programs.

    Restart, then check what processes are running. Shut down most that are
    not required system processes, then see if you can carry out a full run of
    Spybot and AdAware for good measure.

    You may wish to consider a restart, checking processes again, then see if
    you can carry out either an update or full scan with the virus checker.

    A lot of more recent infections are likely to attempt to shut down/prevent
    installation of any virus packages, firewalls etc, so it could take some
    time.

    #, Oct 27, 2004

  3. A

    # Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:35:52 +1300, A wrote:

    > PC Specs:
    > - HP Celeron 1.8Ghz PC
    > - 128MB Ram
    > - 40GB HDD
    > - Windows XP SP2

    128MB is definitely on the light side for XP. Could be worth looking to
    upgrade.

    #, Oct 27, 2004
  4. A

    Craig Sutton Guest

    > PC Specs:
    > - HP Celeron 1.8Ghz PC
    > - 128MB Ram
    > - 40GB HDD
    > - Windows XP SP2
    >
    > My first guess was a lack of ram and too many apps running. The way
    > the HDD light lights up seems to confirm it. However the PC was
    > running fine a little while ago and all of a sudden seems to be
    > incredibly slow now. It doesn't explain why Nortons AV 2002 won't
    > update itself either. My second guess is that SP2 has bumped up the
    > minimum ram requirements.
    >
    > The answers probably simple but I'm tired and can't think straight.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Turn off system recovery

    Scan for Spyware using adware/ spybot search and destroy, and Pestpatrol.

    The Nav 2002 sub may have expired, use the rnav tool at the Nortons website
    to remove and re-install it with a new 12 month subscription. UPDATE

    After do a full scan making sure its %100 clean go to your local pc shop and
    purchase another 512 megs ram.

    Craig Sutton, Oct 27, 2004
  5. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:35:52 +1300, A <> says...

    > Ok I need some help here. I'm trying to fix a PC but am stumped as to
    > whats the problem.
    >
    > Its owned by a non-PC user so the info I'm getting from them is fairly
    > limited.
    >
    > The problem is two fold
    >
    > a) Nortons Antivirus 2002 won't complete an automatic update, bombing
    > out part way through (so I've been told).
    >
    > b) the PC is seriously running slow. It seems to be accessing the HDD
    > all the time and I get an hourglass more often than not. When I check
    > it's running two small apps (HP Media Centre & Kodak organiser of some
    > sort)
    >
    > Other useful info:
    >
    > - Performance under Windows Task Manager shows around 11MB available
    > physical memory (from 128 but I think there's shared system/video ram)
    > - Nortons Antivirus 2002 is running and recently detected the "Trojan
    > Horse Virus" and quarantined it. I don't think this is the cause of
    > the problem (although Norton's may be).
    > - Running SP2 although the owner doesn't know how it got there.

    They authorised it to be installed through the regular automatic updates.
    SP2 requires explicit authorisation unlike most of the other updates.

    > PC Specs:
    > - HP Celeron 1.8Ghz PC
    > - 128MB Ram
    > - 40GB HDD
    > - Windows XP SP2

    You have to be kidding. 1.8 GHz with that small HDD and RAM?

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 27, 2004
  6. A

    A Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 03:03:45 +1300, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <> in nz.comp on
    >Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:35:52 +1300, A <> says...
    >>
    >> Ok I need some help here. I'm trying to fix a PC but am stumped as to
    >> whats the problem.
    >>
    >> Its owned by a non-PC user so the info I'm getting from them is fairly
    >> limited.
    >>
    >> The problem is two fold
    >>
    >> a) Nortons Antivirus 2002 won't complete an automatic update, bombing
    >> out part way through (so I've been told).
    >>
    >> b) the PC is seriously running slow. It seems to be accessing the HDD
    >> all the time and I get an hourglass more often than not. When I check
    >> it's running two small apps (HP Media Centre & Kodak organiser of some
    >> sort)
    >>
    >> Other useful info:
    >>
    >> - Performance under Windows Task Manager shows around 11MB available
    >> physical memory (from 128 but I think there's shared system/video ram)
    >> - Nortons Antivirus 2002 is running and recently detected the "Trojan
    >> Horse Virus" and quarantined it. I don't think this is the cause of
    >> the problem (although Norton's may be).
    >> - Running SP2 although the owner doesn't know how it got there.

    >They authorised it to be installed through the regular automatic updates.
    >SP2 requires explicit authorisation unlike most of the other updates.

    Yeah but being an average joe they probably click yes to anything tha
    pops up and looks legitimate.

    >> PC Specs:
    >> - HP Celeron 1.8Ghz PC
    >> - 128MB Ram
    >> - 40GB HDD
    >> - Windows XP SP2

    >You have to be kidding. 1.8 GHz with that small HDD and RAM?

    And remember the ram is shared as well! That's what it came with
    straight out of the box from HP.

    The ram would have been my first diagnosis but the system has been
    running ok before the problem occurred (probably still slow by our
    definitions but acceptable to the user).

    The HDD isn't a worry - 40GB is more than enough for a home user (I
    get by with 57GB and that includes about 5 DVD Rips sitting on my
    drives).

    A, Oct 27, 2004
  7. reply is inline.

    A wrote:
    > - Running SP2 although the owner doesn't know how it got there.

    SP2 got pushed out to all user who had automatic updating turned on.

    > PC Specs:
    > - HP Celeron 1.8Ghz PC
    > - 128MB Ram
    > - 40GB HDD
    > - Windows XP SP2

    Gah... XP with only 128MB ram, and shared with video... I'd think this
    will be severly limiting the usability of the PC.

    > My first guess was a lack of ram and too many apps running. The way
    > the HDD light lights up seems to confirm it.

    to a point, see below.

    > However the PC was
    > running fine a little while ago and all of a sudden seems to be
    > incredibly slow now.

    a while ago there was a virus that tended to use a hell of a lot of CPU
    and all of the network connection, can't remember what it was called,
    but I found it on a few machines that I am new to administrating.

    > It doesn't explain why Nortons AV 2002 won't
    > update itself either.

    see above comment re network connection... if dialup, then it'll swamp it.

    > My second guess is that SP2 has bumped up the
    > minimum ram requirements.

    not that I know of, but I'm well above it, so wouldn't know.

    > The answers probably simple but I'm tired and can't think straight.
    > Any ideas?

    Download stinger from here.
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    burn it to CD, and take it round there and run it...

    Have a read about what it does too.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 27, 2004
  8. A

    thing Guest

    A wrote:

    8><---

    >>>b) the PC is seriously running slow. It seems to be accessing the HDD
    >>>all the time and I get an hourglass more often than not. When I check
    >>>it's running two small apps (HP Media Centre & Kodak organiser of some
    >>>sort)

    8><---

    These could be the issue, does he/she have lots of pictures? if so then
    128Meg of ram with these running could be the killer. It could be a
    combination of heavy wapping while looking at heaps of pictures which
    also does a disk read/write.

    128 for XP is a joke, buy at least another 256M.

    Again CPU might be a bit light for lots of photos.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Oct 28, 2004
  9. A

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:35:52 +1300, A wrote:

    > The answers probably simple but I'm tired and can't think straight.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Sober up. Then have another go. ;=)

    Gordon, Oct 28, 2004
  10. A

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 03:03:45 +1300, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    >> PC Specs:
    >> - HP Celeron 1.8Ghz PC
    >> - 128MB Ram
    >> - 40GB HDD
    >> - Windows XP SP2

    > You have to be kidding. 1.8 GHz with that small HDD and RAM?

    Nope, you are with your reply.

    People do amazing things.

    Gordon, Oct 28, 2004
  11. A

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 07:35:21 +1300, A wrote:

    > The HDD isn't a worry - 40GB is more than enough for a home user (I
    > get by with 57GB and that includes about 5 DVD Rips sitting on my
    > drives).

    See people, you can throw out a great deal of crap and live happily.
    Remember, no how large your garage you will fill it.

    Gordon, Oct 28, 2004
  12. A

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:26:39 +1300, thing wrote:

    > 128 for XP is a joke, buy at least another 256M.

    Thanks for this Thing. My Penguin is happy with 256MB.

    Gordon, Oct 28, 2004
  13. A

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:35:52 +1300, A wrote:

    > Ok I need some help here. I'm trying to fix a PC but am stumped as to
    > whats the problem.

    Try adware, and report back.

    Gordon, Oct 28, 2004
  14. A

    thing Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:26:39 +1300, thing wrote:
    >

    >>128 for XP is a joke, buy at least another 256M.

    > Thanks for this Thing. My Penguin is happy with 256MB.

    I seem to use 1 gig....but I have 32 desktops open.....

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Oct 28, 2004
  15. In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 28 Oct 2004
    09:10:40 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <> says...
    > reply is inline.
    >
    > A wrote:
    > > - Running SP2 although the owner doesn't know how it got there.

    > SP2 got pushed out to all user who had automatic updating turned on.

    But Windows still asks to confirm before installing it.

    > > PC Specs:
    > > - HP Celeron 1.8Ghz PC
    > > - 128MB Ram
    > > - 40GB HDD
    > > - Windows XP SP2

    > Gah... XP with only 128MB ram, and shared with video... I'd think this
    > will be severly limiting the usability of the PC.

    Depends on what else they have running. We have a number of XP boxes with
    only 128 MB of RAM, they run well. The CPU is fast enough in this case it
    shouldn't matter so much.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 28, 2004
  16. A

    thing Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:26:39 +1300, thing wrote:
    >

    >>128 for XP is a joke, buy at least another 256M.

    > Thanks for this Thing. My Penguin is happy with 256MB.

    I find it interesting that a commercial OS like NTx just gets bigger and
    more complex and more resource hungry. Yet Linux seems to stay around
    the 256meg mark and perform just as well if not better on each new
    release on the same hardware.

    I wonder how NTx can actually keep up, the performance gap should get
    wider and wider, yet it still seems to be roughly on par.

    So I have to wonder, if their programmers were that much better than OSS
    programmers on speed then why is their security and stability is
    arguably worse yet their performance about the same...

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Oct 28, 2004
  17. A

    A Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:34:03 +1300, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:35:52 +1300, A wrote:
    >
    >> The answers probably simple but I'm tired and can't think straight.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    >Sober up. Then have another go. ;=)

    You jest but the first thing I was offered when I got there was a
    beer. Then it took Nortons AV 3 hours to run a scan and there wasn't
    much else to do while sitting around waiting..... :)

    A, Oct 28, 2004
  18. A

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:35:52 +1300, A <> wrote:

    >Ok I need some help here. I'm trying to fix a PC but am stumped as to
    >whats the problem.
    >
    >Its owned by a non-PC user so the info I'm getting from them is fairly
    >limited.
    >
    >The problem is two fold
    >
    >a) Nortons Antivirus 2002 won't complete an automatic update, bombing
    >out part way through (so I've been told).
    >
    >b) the PC is seriously running slow. It seems to be accessing the HDD
    >all the time and I get an hourglass more often than not. When I check
    >it's running two small apps (HP Media Centre & Kodak organiser of some
    >sort)
    >
    >Other useful info:
    >
    >- Performance under Windows Task Manager shows around 11MB available
    >physical memory (from 128 but I think there's shared system/video ram)
    >- Nortons Antivirus 2002 is running and recently detected the "Trojan
    >Horse Virus" and quarantined it. I don't think this is the cause of
    >the problem (although Norton's may be).
    >- Running SP2 although the owner doesn't know how it got there.
    >
    >PC Specs:
    >- HP Celeron 1.8Ghz PC
    >- 128MB Ram
    >- 40GB HDD
    >- Windows XP SP2
    >
    >My first guess was a lack of ram and too many apps running. The way
    >the HDD light lights up seems to confirm it. However the PC was
    >running fine a little while ago and all of a sudden seems to be
    >incredibly slow now. It doesn't explain why Nortons AV 2002 won't
    >update itself either. My second guess is that SP2 has bumped up the
    >minimum ram requirements.
    >
    >The answers probably simple but I'm tired and can't think straight.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    Don't run XP myself but I would look at running processes, some might
    not be needed. In my experience Norton AV 2002 introduced a
    noticeable performance hit on my old K6-2/550. I would suggest trying
    another AV prog such as AVG6 free (or AVG7 beta). A friend had a
    similar problem and I installed AVG6 which found a trojan that updated
    Nortons didn't. After that the computer ran normally.

    XP needs much more RAM than that especially considering that it is
    shared. I wonder if a permanent swap file has been created that is
    too small or the hard drive is overdue for a defrag?

    GraB, Oct 28, 2004
  19. A

    Mel Guest

    A computer I was trying to clean up and get going faster for a friend,
    was also driving me spare - ended up being so simple, I could have
    kicked myself, ... Incredimail ... get rid of it and see the difference.

    Do a google search "slow computer = incredimail" and see the various

    Anyway, dumping it and then updating IE 6.1.014 ? did the trick for me.

    Mel, Oct 28, 2004