    than a few second to load a page. And I can hear the hard drive
    working like a dog.

    Any clues as to what happened?
    sofasurfer, Nov 19, 2007

  2. sofasurfer

    Chet39 Guest

    Check whether Charter installed a firewall or A/V. If you have more than
    one running at a time, sometimes they will bug up the works.

    Chet39, Nov 19, 2007

  3. sofasurfer

    Tee Jay Guest

    sofasurfer wrote:
    > My pc seemed to run fine when I had dial-up. Then about a week ago I
    > had Charter Cable hook up high speed internet. My pc flew for a while
    > and everything happened fast. Now however, applications take a long
    > time to start. I connect to web site slow and sometimes it takes more
    > than a few second to load a page. And I can hear the hard drive
    > working like a dog.
    >
    > Any clues as to what happened?

    I have in the last couple of days seen computers with "extra" users
    listed and huge collections of zip files hidden in that users folder
    structure. Clients were unaware that this activity was going on.
    Make sure you have "hidden folders" turned on and have search look for *.zip
    Tee Jay
    AVG Free found these infestations.
    Tee Jay, Nov 19, 2007
  4. sofasurfer