    get back normal operating speed sooner?
    --
    To email, erase "forgetit"
    Flycaster, Jan 28, 2007

  2. Flycaster

    Daave Guest

    Flycaster wrote:
    > Upon opening my Windows XP (with SP2) I note a lot of activity from
    > cidaemon.exe and MsMpEng.exe on my process monitor. A lot of CPU is
    > being used at this time that appears to slow down my net surfing
    > and/or opening other apps. Eventually these processes cease and
    > things return to normal. Nonetheless, does anything need to be
    > changed in order to get back normal operating speed sooner?

    Googling revealed the following information:

    1. From http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_c.htm

    "Recommendation :
    In most cases you should leave it alone on desktops; however, there are
    cases where CIDAEMON runs amok and consumes excessive amounts of memory
    and CPU and the PC slows down as a result - when that is the case,
    setting the Indexing Service as a disabled or manual start service in
    "Services" in the Control Panel (WinNT4) / Administrative Tools
    (Win2000/XP) should solve your problem. On fileservers, on the other
    hand, most problems are resolved with the most recent Support Packs,
    particularly on NT4 (SP6) and 2000 (SP3)."

    2. From
    http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=352634&SiteID=2

    staticboy:

    I installed Windows Defender BETA (details below) about a week ago and
    got my first occurence of this "99%" CPU problem this morning. Looking
    in Task Manager revealed that "MsMpEng.exe" was hogging all the
    resources and a quick Google lead me here. Nothing in these threads
    however is a solution to my problem and talk of large picture files and
    indexing isn't applicable in my case.

    Instead of getting all heavy and hacking into Task Manager, Indexing
    Service or Registry I simply opened Windows Defender by double-clicking
    the icon in the system tray. What did I find? Defender was in the
    process of running a "Full system scan..." I just clicked the "Stop
    Scan" button and I'm back to the usual 3-5% CPU usage whilst nothing is
    running.

    Well, that explains what was hogging all the resources. The only
    unanswered question is why Defender decided to perform a full system
    scan at 09:15 in the morning when it's scheduled to run daily at 18:00?

    Earlier this morning I had been performing my usual weekly system
    clean-up and optimisations, such as deleting temp files,
    fixing/defragging the registry and defragging the file system. I don't
    use the Windows Disk Defragramter, instead prefering the command line
    "contig.exe" from www.sysinternals.com. Perhaps all of this low-level
    file and system activity was enough to make Defender suspicious that
    something unusual was happening to my system and it decided to launch an
    on-the-spot full system scan to check for anything malicious (this is
    after all the purpose of this software).

    Has Defender become intelligent enough to behave this proactively?

    Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1347.0
    Engine Version: 1.1.1372.0
    Definition Version: 1.14.1452.3

    Is Defender still Beta? Do you have the latest version? If it were me,
    I'd ditch it.

    --
    Dave
    Daave, Jan 28, 2007