Slow nz.comp header DL from Paradise cable (Wellington)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by dud_address@xparadise.net.nz, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Paradise cable (Wellington) seems inordinately slow in downloading
    headers for nz.comp on my system (FreeAgent / WinXP / 256kbs cable
    connection).

    Seems to apply only to nz.comp(?) Other newsgroups I tested DL much
    faster: eg.

    + c.1 sec to DL 5 headers for comp.lang.fortran
    + 16 secs to DL 1093 headers for comp.lang.fortran
    + 40 secs to DL 4511 headers for microsoft.public.excel

    vs

    + 44 sec to DL 1 header in nz.comp.
    + 44 sec to DL 5 headers in nz.comp.

    Time to DL nz.comp headers seems largely independant of the number of
    headers (at least for small numbers of headers)

    Do others on cable in Wellington experience the same behaviour with
    nz.comp?

    Any config settings that would fix the problem?

    Interestingly, no such problem when I access via Google / IE6; ie.
    < 1 sec to DL 25 thread headers. Presumably the Google nz.comp feed
    comes from the US rather than from a local source? I see it still
    does not have my earlier post re routers (posted 3 hours ago).

    David

    , Jan 8, 2004

  2. K & S Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 21:54:50 +1300, wrote:

    >Paradise cable (Wellington) seems inordinately slow in downloading
    >headers for nz.comp on my system (FreeAgent / WinXP / 256kbs cable
    >connection).
    >
    >Seems to apply only to nz.comp(?) Other newsgroups I tested DL much
    >faster: eg.
    >
    >+ c.1 sec to DL 5 headers for comp.lang.fortran
    >+ 16 secs to DL 1093 headers for comp.lang.fortran
    >+ 40 secs to DL 4511 headers for microsoft.public.excel
    >
    >vs
    >
    >+ 44 sec to DL 1 header in nz.comp.
    >+ 44 sec to DL 5 headers in nz.comp.
    >
    >Time to DL nz.comp headers seems largely independant of the number of
    >headers (at least for small numbers of headers)
    >
    >Do others on cable in Wellington experience the same behaviour with
    >nz.comp?
    >
    >Any config settings that would fix the problem?
    >
    >Interestingly, no such problem when I access via Google / IE6; ie.
    >< 1 sec to DL 25 thread headers. Presumably the Google nz.comp feed
    >comes from the US rather than from a local source? I see it still
    >does not have my earlier post re routers (posted 3 hours ago).
    >
    >David

    Clean out the Old header and then do a compaction..

    K & S, Jan 8, 2004

  3. Kookaburra Guest

    wrote:

    >Paradise cable (Wellington) seems inordinately slow in downloading
    >headers for nz.comp on my system (FreeAgent / WinXP / 256kbs cable
    >connection).

    Another thing you could do if you haven't already is in FreeAgent go
    to Group>Default Properties> What To Purge tab and uncheck Always get
    complete list of servers available messages.

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kookaburra, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:15:22 +1300, Kookaburra
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 21:54:50 +1300,
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Paradise cable (Wellington) seems inordinately slow in downloading
    >>headers for nz.comp on my system (FreeAgent / WinXP / 256kbs cable
    >>connection).
    >>

    >Another thing you could do if you haven't already is in FreeAgent go
    >to Group>Default Properties> What To Purge tab and uncheck Always get
    >complete list of servers available messages.

    Thanks - did the trick. 11 headers just downloaded in a fraction of a
    second.

    David

    , Jan 8, 2004