Slow nntp via Ihug broadband

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rhino, Aug 3, 2010.

  1. Rhino

    Rhino Guest

    Greetings all,

    In the last few days I have had VERY slow connections to any nntp
    servers, both Ihug/Vodafone & Supernews. Normally i can pretty much
    max out my connection when d/loading, but I am lucky to get a brief
    burst of 50 kbps before it crawls to a stop. :(

    Http & ftp are fine, as are voip, video conferencing and rdp via my
    vpn client to work.

    I am sitting behind a Linksys AG300 router with inbuilt 4 port switch.

    Running Wireshark from the PC in the lounge shows many lost segments
    and duplicate ACKS. The same is also found from my laptop.

    Hopefully other Ihug/Vodafone users may help confirm if this is an
    issue at my end, or an ISP problem.

    PS: Telling me to change my ISP won't help.

    Cheers, Rhino

    Rhino, Aug 3, 2010

  2. Rhino

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Rhino" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > In the last few days I have had VERY slow connections to any nntp
    > servers, both Ihug/Vodafone & Supernews. Normally i can pretty much
    > max out my connection when d/loading, but I am lucky to get a brief
    > burst of 50 kbps before it crawls to a stop. :(
    >
    > Http & ftp are fine, as are voip, video conferencing and rdp via my
    > vpn client to work.
    >
    > I am sitting behind a Linksys AG300 router with inbuilt 4 port switch.
    >
    > Running Wireshark from the PC in the lounge shows many lost segments
    > and duplicate ACKS. The same is also found from my laptop.
    >
    > Hopefully other Ihug/Vodafone users may help confirm if this is an
    > issue at my end, or an ISP problem.
    >
    > PS: Telling me to change my ISP won't help.

    Read the vodafone forums they have issues at the moment.

    Craig Sutton, Aug 3, 2010

  3. In message <>, Rhino wrote:

    > In the last few days I have had VERY slow connections to any nntp
    > servers, both Ihug/Vodafone & Supernews.

    I’m on Vodafone, reading and posting through news.ihug.co.nz. I don’t do
    large uploads/downloads through USENET, so I can’t say I’ve noticed much
    speed difference the last few days.

    I did have ADSL hiccups over a few days a couple of weeks ago. And again for
    a few minutes yesterday.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 4, 2010