    About 7seconds for a 1kb message to download.
    I`m on pipex broadband, everything else is fine #.
    Any ideas?
    Tomm, Jun 27, 2003

  2. Tomm

    Unk Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:58:21 +0100, "Tomm" <> wrote:

    >I had a problem with newsgroup messages downloading slowly.
    > Since then I have done a clean XP installation.
    > Now the messages take even longer!
    > About 7seconds for a 1kb message to download.
    >I`m on pipex broadband, everything else is fine #.
    > Any ideas?

    Try http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks and take the tweak test.
    Your MTU is probably the wrong value for broadband.

    Unk
    Unk, Jun 28, 2003

  3. Tomm

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Tomm said:

    > I had a problem with newsgroup messages downloading slowly.
    > Since then I have done a clean XP installation.
    > Now the messages take even longer!
    > About 7seconds for a 1kb message to download.
    > I`m on pipex broadband, everything else is fine #.
    > Any ideas?

    Wow, do you strip your car engine every time your ashtray is full?
    Brian H¹©, Jun 28, 2003
  4. Tomm

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Tomm continued:

    > I had a problem with newsgroup messages downloading slowly.
    > Since then I have done a clean XP installation.
    > Now the messages take even longer!
    > About 7seconds for a 1kb message to download.
    > I`m on pipex broadband, everything else is fine #.
    > Any ideas?

    What maintenance do you carry out ?
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    Slumpy, Jun 28, 2003
  5. Tomm

    bb3 Guest

    "Slumpy" <> wrote in message
    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as Tomm continued:
    >
    > > I had a problem with newsgroup messages downloading slowly.
    > > Since then I have done a clean XP installation.
    > > Now the messages take even longer!
    > > About 7seconds for a 1kb message to download.
    > > I`m on pipex broadband, everything else is fine #.
    > > Any ideas?

    > What maintenance do you carry out ?
    > --
    > slumpy
    > no more
    > no less
    > just slumpy

    ...."a clean XP installation"...
    bb3, Jun 28, 2003
  6. Tomm

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as bb3 continued:

    > "Slumpy" <> wrote in message
    >> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Tomm continued:
    >>
    >>> I had a problem with newsgroup messages downloading slowly.
    >>> Since then I have done a clean XP installation.
    >>> Now the messages take even longer!
    >>> About 7seconds for a 1kb message to download.
    >>> I`m on pipex broadband, everything else is fine #.
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> What maintenance do you carry out ?
    >>

    > ..."a clean XP installation"...

    So your folders are empty ?
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    Slumpy, Jun 28, 2003
  7. Tomm

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹© continued:

    > Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:

    >> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as bb3 continued:
    >>
    >>> "Slumpy" <> wrote in message

    >>> ..."a clean XP installation"...

    >> So your folders are empty ?

    > No, but Tomm's might be ;-)

    True, but I'm bored with this one, wanna misposted letter to distant old
    relatives, they always cheer me up ;-)
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    Slumpy, Jun 28, 2003
  8. Tomm

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:

    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹© continued:

    >> Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:
    >>
    >>> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you
    >>> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as bb3 continued:

    >>> So your folders are empty ?

    >> No, but Tomm's might be ;-)

    > True, but I'm bored with this one, wanna misposted letter to distant old
    > relatives, they always cheer me up ;-)

    Did you see Red Dwarf last night?
    Brian H¹©, Jun 28, 2003
  9. Tomm

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹© continued:

    > Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:

    >> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹©
    >> continued:

    >>> No, but Tomm's might be ;-)

    >> True, but I'm bored with this one, wanna misposted letter to
    >> distant old relatives, they always cheer me up ;-)

    > Did you see Red Dwarf last night?

    On cable/sat ? I hope it wasn't on old-fangled windup terrestriualTV ah
    fuckit
    Slumpy, Jun 28, 2003
  10. Tomm

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:

    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹© continued:

    >> Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:
    >>
    >>> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you
    >>> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹©
    >>> continued:

    >>> True, but I'm bored with this one, wanna misposted letter to
    >>> distant old relatives, they always cheer me up ;-)

    >> Did you see Red Dwarf last night?

    > On cable/sat ? I hope it wasn't on old-fangled windup terrestriualTV ah
    > fuckit

    On Beeb2, it must have been the very first episode as they met/saved Kryten when
    they answered a distress call from the Nova 5.
    Brian H¹©, Jun 28, 2003
  11. Tomm

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹© continued:

    > Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:

    >> ?" I
    >> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹© continued:

    >>> Did you see Red Dwarf last night?

    >> On cable/sat ? I hope it wasn't on old-fangled windup terrestriualTV
    >> ah fuckit

    > On Beeb2, it must have been the very first episode as they met/saved
    > Kryten when they answered a distress call from the Nova 5.

    End of 1st series...seen it too many times - do need series 2 on video tho,
    so next thursday :)

    --
    Better dead than smeg - Arnold J. Rimmer (25yds breast stroke)
    Slumpy, Jun 28, 2003
  12. Tomm

    Hunter Guest

    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/performance.htm
    There are several different problems that can affect performance in OE. Many
    of them display very similar symptoms. If your are experiencing slow
    performance, begin with the problem here that best describes the symptoms
    you are seeing. It is possible that you have more than one issue to resolve
    to get OE back in top shape.

    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm

    HTH

    Hunter