    told that various files which belong to Norton AV cannot be found.
    I uninstalled Norton AV a year ago or more.

    Joe.

    Joe, May 19, 2007

  2. Joe wrote:

    > There used to be an option to delete unused registry keys in Norton
    > Utilities, but is there any other way to do this?

    Sorry, it's been a hundred years since I used Norton Utilities.

    > The reason I ask is that my machine is slower than it should be.

    Spyware? What anti-spy/malware apps have you run?

    > What other factors are involved in a slowing down of a machine?

    Norton?

    > I use Win XP Pro.
    >
    > I also have a problem with Norton AV, which pops up every time I try
    > to install a new program which has nothing to do with Norton, but I
    > keep being told that various files which belong to Norton AV cannot
    > be found. I uninstalled Norton AV a year ago or more.

    Looks as if you didn't really uninstall it. Try this:
    <http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039>

    Look here for free stuff:
    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 19, 2007

  3. Joe

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 19 May 2007 19:08:54 GMT, "Joe" <>
    wrote:

    >There used to be an option to delete unused registry keys in Norton
    >Utilities, but is there any other way to do this?
    >
    >The reason I ask is that my machine is slower than it should be.
    >
    >What other factors are involved in a slowing down of a machine?
    >
    >I use Win XP Pro.
    >
    >I also have a problem with Norton AV, which pops up every time I try to
    >install a new program which has nothing to do with Norton, but I keep being
    >told that various files which belong to Norton AV cannot be found.
    >I uninstalled Norton AV a year ago or more.
    >
    >Joe.

    Have you tried to search the registry for Norton?
    Try crap cleaner.
    Norton is a problem in itself.
    Try Kaspersky av.
    How much memory?
    Use avg antispyware?

    joevan, May 19, 2007
  4. Joe

    SJP Guest

    SJP, May 19, 2007
  5. Joe

    Joe Guest

    "SJP" <> wrote in message

    > "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> There used to be an option to delete unused registry keys in Norton
    >> Utilities, but is there any other way to do this?
    >>
    >> The reason I ask is that my machine is slower than it should be.
    >>
    >> What other factors are involved in a slowing down of a machine?
    >>
    >> I use Win XP Pro.
    >>
    >> I also have a problem with Norton AV, which pops up every time I try to
    >> install a new program which has nothing to do with Norton, but I keep
    >> being told that various files which belong to Norton AV cannot be found.
    >> I uninstalled Norton AV a year ago or more.
    >>
    >> Joe.
    >>

    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm

    Fantastic links guys! Can't thank you all enough, and will be up all night
    trying to educate myself.

    Cheers.
    Joe.

    Joe, May 19, 2007
  6. Joe

    Vanguard Guest

    Joe wrote in message

    > There used to be an option to delete unused registry keys in Norton
    > Utilities, but is there any other way to do this?
    >
    > The reason I ask is that my machine is slower than it should be.
    >
    > What other factors are involved in a slowing down of a machine?
    >
    > I use Win XP Pro.
    >
    > I also have a problem with Norton AV, which pops up every time I try
    > to install a new program which has nothing to do with Norton, but I
    > keep being told that various files which belong to Norton AV cannot be
    > found.
    > I uninstalled Norton AV a year ago or more.

    Purging your registry of orphaned or unneeded entries will NOT speed up
    your computer. It simply means the file copy on the hard drive is
    smaller. During bootup, the registry is loaded into memory and it is
    THAT copy that Windows uses thereafter. Reducing your registry size by
    a few kilobytes isn't going to much affect how long it takes to read the
    ..dat files for the registry to copy it into memory.

    If can't do the manual registry cleanup yourself, you should not be
    using software to automate that process. The cleaner should show you
    each entry that it intends to delete or modify and YOU are the final
    authority in deciding if that action is appropriate. Blind cleanup of
    the registry can lead to an unbootable host or to applications that no
    longer function correctly until you uninstall and reinstall them. I've
    seen plenty of registry cleaners that want to delete some entries in my
    registry which are not effective until a reboot under a specific CD
    (i.e., the cleaner thinks they are orphans but they are there to be used
    under a different environment than under which the cleaner was ran).

    You picked the wrong target in attempting to speed up your computer.
    First look at hardware upgrades, like more memory, faster hard drives,
    or a faster CPU.

    Vanguard, May 20, 2007
  7. Joe

    Tester Guest

    wrote:

    >There used to be an option to delete unused registry keys in Norton
    >Utilities, but is there any other way to do this?
    >
    >The reason I ask is that my machine is slower than it should be.
    >
    >What other factors are involved in a slowing down of a machine?
    >
    >I use Win XP Pro.
    >
    >I also have a problem with Norton AV, which pops up every time I try to
    >install a new program which has nothing to do with Norton, but I keep being
    >told that various files which belong to Norton AV cannot be found.
    >I uninstalled Norton AV a year ago or more.

    Have you tried MSCONFIG to disable some of your startup programs?

    Do you still have any Norton services running? (services.msc)

    Tester, May 20, 2007
  8. Joe

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    wrote:
    >There used to be an option to delete unused registry keys in Norton
    >Utilities, but is there any other way to do this?
    >
    >The reason I ask is that my machine is slower than it should be.
    >
    >What other factors are involved in a slowing down of a machine?
    > I use Win XP Pro.

    * RAM - at least 256 MB and pref. 512 MB

    * Startup progs - run MSCONFIG, go to Startup. Disable non-essential
    (NOT security) - google any unfamiliar

    * Hard-disk: need at least 1 GB free for page file

    * Hard-disk: defrag, run WIndows Defragmenter

    * Viruses/spyware can put a CPU hogger on your PC (Ctrl+Alt+Del and
    examine Processes - with nothing much running System Idle Process
    should have ~98 % of CPU) => update and run AV/AS

    * A failing HD can make a PC run very slowly - it works but has to
    keep rereading sectors

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, May 21, 2007
  9. Joe

    nicenswift Guest

    On 21 May, 01:51, Gaius Baltar <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 May 2007 19:08:54 GMT, "Joe" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >There used to be an option to delete unused registry keys in Norton
    > >Utilities, but is there any other way to do this?

    > >The reason I ask is that my machine is slower than it should be.

    > >What other factors are involved in a slowing down of a machine?
    > > I use WinXPPro.

    > * RAM - at least 256 MB and pref. 512 MB
    >
    > * Startup progs - run MSCONFIG, go to Startup. Disable non-essential
    > (NOT security) - google any unfamiliar
    >
    > * Hard-disk: need at least 1 GB free for page file
    >
    > * Hard-disk: defrag, run WIndows Defragmenter
    >
    > * Viruses/spyware can put a CPU hogger on your PC (Ctrl+Alt+Del and
    > examine Processes - with nothing much running System Idle Process
    > should have ~98 % of CPU) => update and run AV/AS
    >
    > * A failing HD can make a PC run very slowly - it works but has to
    > keep rereading sectors
    >
    > gb

    There are a couple of easy to follow guides I wrote on my blog that
    may help with increasing performance.

    http://swift-tips.blogspot.com/2007/04/windows-xp-is-running-slower-than-usual.html

    And

    http://swift-tips.blogspot.com/2007/04/windows-xp-is-running-slower-than-usual_16.html