    I also clear the cache, cookies, and history upon closing ALL
    browsers, so that is not the issue.

    , Apr 10, 2007

  2. Miller Guest

    ** wrote on 10.04.07 23:58:
    > Firefox seems to take forever to load compared to IE.
    > I'd prefer not to use IE for safety reasons, but if I just want to
    > quickly view a website, I really hate the long wait to get Firefox
    > loaded. Is this just the way it works with FF or is there some
    > setting to speed it up.

    Have you got some Add-ons installed in FF?

    cu, Miller

    Miller, Apr 10, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Apr 10, 2:58 pm, wrote:
    > Firefox seems to take forever to load compared to IE.
    > I'd prefer not to use IE for safety reasons, but if I just want to
    > quickly view a website, I really hate the long wait to get Firefox
    > loaded. Is this just the way it works with FF or is there some
    > setting to speed it up.
    >
    > Yes, I know that IE is built into Windows, so part of it is already
    > loaded, but there is still a significant difference.
    >
    > I also clear the cache, cookies, and history upon closing ALL
    > browsers, so that is not the issue.

    nope, mine takes a few seconds. As a matter of fact, I think its a few
    seconds faster than IE.

    The more extensions and themes you have then the longer its going to
    take to open. Disable them all then restart FF. Any faster?

    , Apr 11, 2007
  4. * , On 10.04.2007 23:58:
    > Is this just the way it works with FF or is there some
    > setting to speed it up.

    To even things up:

    Right-click the Firefox-icon on your desktop, then add at "target" (I
    hope it is called so -- I'm German):

    [space]/prefetch:1

    My line looks like this:
    "C:\Programme\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /prefetch:1

    The [space] is important or an error will occure.

    This is how IE is loaded faster or in fact, any of M$ products.
    Everytime you boot your system, Firefox will be preloaded and the
    start-up-time will be drasticly shortened.

    * *
    * MfG *
    * Philipp Jabber : wo_O *
    * ICQ : 249832799 *
    * *

    Philipp Kretzschmar, Apr 11, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Apr 11, 4:34 am, Philipp Kretzschmar <> wrote:
    > * , On 10.04.2007 23:58:
    >
    > > Is this just the way it works with FF or is there some
    > > setting to speed it up.

    > To even things up:
    >
    > Right-click the Firefox-icon on your desktop, then add at "target" (I
    > hope it is called so -- I'm German):
    >
    > [space]/prefetch:1
    >
    > My line looks like this:
    > "C:\Programme\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /prefetch:1
    >
    > The [space] is important or an error will occure.
    >
    > This is how IE is loaded faster or in fact, any of M$ products.
    > Everytime you boot your system, Firefox will be preloaded and the
    > start-up-time will be drasticly shortened.

    NOTE: prefetch is an XP thing.

    , Apr 11, 2007
  6. wrote:
    > On Apr 11, 4:34 am, Philipp Kretzschmar <> wrote:
    >> * , On 10.04.2007 23:58:
    >>
    >>> Is this just the way it works with FF or is there some
    >>> setting to speed it up.

    >> To even things up:
    >>
    >> Right-click the Firefox-icon on your desktop, then add at "target" (I
    >> hope it is called so -- I'm German):
    >>
    >> [space]/prefetch:1
    >>
    >> My line looks like this:
    >> "C:\Programme\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /prefetch:1
    >>
    >> The [space] is important or an error will occure.
    >>
    >> This is how IE is loaded faster or in fact, any of M$ products.
    >> Everytime you boot your system, Firefox will be preloaded and the
    >> start-up-time will be drasticly shortened.
    >>

    > NOTE: prefetch is an XP thing.

    My mozilla programs were loading faster than OE or IE ever did until I
    installed Windows Live One-Care. Now the computer is labouring all the
    time...

    Question from newbie: How do I uninstall it? Why didn't it tell me to
    disable other virus-checkers etc. when installing?

    --
    Shalom! Rowland Croucher

    http://jmm.aaa.net.au/ (20,000 articles 4000 humor)

    * Rowland Croucher *, Apr 12, 2007
  7. Guest

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:32:05 +0200, Miller <>
    wrote:

    >** wrote on 10.04.07 23:58:
    >> Firefox seems to take forever to load compared to IE.
    >> I'd prefer not to use IE for safety reasons, but if I just want to
    >> quickly view a website, I really hate the long wait to get Firefox
    >> loaded. Is this just the way it works with FF or is there some
    >> setting to speed it up.

    >Have you got some Add-ons installed in FF?
    >
    >cu, Miller

    Yes, about 5 plugins, flashblock, adblock, and a few others...

    I should probably mention that I run IE5.5 which is small compared to
    newer vers. I'm using the latest ver of FF unless they made an
    upgrade ver in the last 2 weeks.

    , Apr 12, 2007
  8. Canopus Guest

    * Rowland Croucher * scribed:

    > wrote:
    >>On Apr 11, 4:34 am, Philipp Kretzschmar <> wrote:
    >>>* , On 10.04.2007 23:58:

    >>>To even things up:
    >>>
    >>>Right-click the Firefox-icon on your desktop, then add at "target" (I
    >>>hope it is called so -- I'm German):
    >>>
    >>> [space]/prefetch:1
    >>>
    >>>My line looks like this:
    >>>"C:\Programme\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /prefetch:1
    >>>
    >>>The [space] is important or an error will occure.
    >>>
    >>>This is how IE is loaded faster or in fact, any of M$ products.
    >>>Everytime you boot your system, Firefox will be preloaded and the
    >>>start-up-time will be drasticly shortened.
    >>>

    >>NOTE: prefetch is an XP thing.
    >>

    >My mozilla programs were loading faster than OE or IE ever did until I
    >installed Windows Live One-Care. Now the computer is labouring all the
    >time...
    >
    >Question from newbie: How do I uninstall it? Why didn't it tell me to
    >disable other virus-checkers etc. when installing?

    There's nothing really to uninstall, it runs from the MS site. An Active X
    is downloaded like the Active X of Windows Update, but, this should not
    effect Mozilla in any way as Mozilla doesn't use Active X as it's an IE
    plug in. IF you go to IE Properties > General > Settings you will see it
    listed there. If you go to Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs and
    check the Show All Updates box you will see the plug in listed there for
    removal, but, as I said it should have no effect on Mozilla.

    --
    Rob

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/canopus_archives/

    Canopus, Apr 12, 2007
  9. Canopus wrote:
    > * Rowland Croucher * scribed:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>> NOTE: prefetch is an XP thing.
    >>>

    >> My mozilla programs were loading faster than OE or IE ever did until I
    >> installed Windows Live One-Care. Now the computer is labouring all the
    >> time...
    >>
    >> Question from newbie: How do I uninstall it? Why didn't it tell me to
    >> disable other virus-checkers etc. when installing?

    > There's nothing really to uninstall, it runs from the MS site. An Active
    > X is downloaded like the Active X of Windows Update, but, this should
    > not effect Mozilla in any way as Mozilla doesn't use Active X as it's an
    > IE plug in. IF you go to IE Properties > General > Settings you will
    > see it listed there. If you go to Control Panel > Add and Remove
    > Programs and check the Show All Updates box you will see the plug in
    > listed there for removal, but, as I said it should have no effect on
    > Mozilla.

    Thanks. I uninstalled that program and the computer isn't going into
    overdrive behind the scenes anymore...

    * Rowland Croucher *, Apr 12, 2007
  10. Canopus Guest

    * Rowland Croucher * scribed:

    >Thanks. I uninstalled that program and the computer isn't going into
    >overdrive behind the scenes anymore...

    That is very strange, I have it on my PC and have had no symptoms that you
    described. Mind you, Active X has been known to cause strange problems so
    we're lucky Mozilla doesn't use it.

    Canopus, Apr 12, 2007
  11. Canopus wrote:
    > * Rowland Croucher * scribed:
    >
    >> Thanks. I uninstalled that program and the computer isn't going into
    >> overdrive behind the scenes anymore...

    > That is very strange, I have it on my PC and have had no symptoms that
    > you described. Mind you, Active X has been known to cause strange
    > problems so we're lucky Mozilla doesn't use it.

    Actually, I had the same problem with Microsoft programs (OE and IE)
    before I changed over to Mozilla's... So there's a bug somewhere in
    there which was exacerbated by the One Care program. (As I was
    uninstalling it Microsoft sent me a questionnaire to give them feedback
    - and most of the questions were about this program causing the computer
    to go slow. So we bunnies are doing their research for them eh?)

    * Rowland Croucher *, Apr 12, 2007
  12. Canopus Guest

    * Rowland Croucher * scribed:

    >>That is very strange, I have it on my PC and have had no symptoms that
    >>you described. Mind you, Active X has been known to cause strange
    >>problems so we're lucky Mozilla doesn't use it.
    >>

    >Actually, I had the same problem with Microsoft programs (OE and IE)
    >before I changed over to Mozilla's... So there's a bug somewhere in there
    >which was exacerbated by the One Care program. (As I was uninstalling it
    >Microsoft sent me a questionnaire to give them feedback - and most of the
    >questions were about this program causing the computer to go slow. So we
    >bunnies are doing their research for them eh?)

    Looks like I was one of the lucky ones. Still, I may very well uninstall
    it anyway as I'm adequately protected and it's surplus to requirements. I
    wasn't too impressed with its registry scan either, I suspect it caused a
    few hiccups with my system after I let it do its work on the registry.

    Canopus, Apr 13, 2007