    internet gateway and wireless router have upgraded to the new faster
    connection, my PC is still recieving the old 256k speed. Do I need to
    configure my computer for the faster connection?

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVsbHNfWmFyZ29u?=, Sep 5, 2006

  2. Hi

    The PC has to be optimized for the type of connection.

    http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html

    The general Hardware has nothing to do with the speed. All Routers and
    Network component can handle 2Mb/sec.

    If the problem persist call your ISP and make sure that they actually turn
    On the faster service.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 5, 2006

  3. The PC has to be optimized for the type of connection.
    http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
    The general Hardware has nothing to do with the speed. All Routers and
    Network component can handle 2Mb/sec.
    If the problem persists call your ISP and make sure that they actually
    turned On the faster service.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 5, 2006
  4. I did what was in the link to no avail. My download speed is still at 30kb/s
    (should be nearer 200). I have contacted the service provider and the service
    has been activated.

    Could it be that the router is no transmitting the faster service? I know
    that it is recieving it by viewing it's status. Or could my PC need an
    upgrade to recognise the 2mb connection?

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVsbHNfWmFyZ29u?=, Sep 5, 2006
  5. Hi
    What is the type of your Internet connection?
    What is internet gateway, a Modem, or Modem/Router Combo.
    What is the Model of your Wireless Router?
    Did you try a wire (cable) connection, or you are on Wireless only?
    Any Ethernet computer Hardware should be able to handle 2mb/sec., even if it
    is more than 5 years old.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 5, 2006
  6. We have a BT Voyager 2110 wireless router, connected to my pc on a wireless
    connection via a BT Voyager 1055 wireless adaptor. I haven't tried a wired
    connection, but the PC is nowhere near a phone socket so this would be
    impractical in the long term.
    The computer itself isn't very old, so should easily handle the connection.
    Could the router be dividing the connection up, even though this PC is the
    only user of the secure connection?

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVsbHNfWmFyZ29u?=, Sep 6, 2006