    to it before snapping it into place.

    She's running Winoze XP Home edition SP2.

    Dave

    Dave, Mar 22, 2006

  2. Dave wrote:

    > My wife's computer is slow to shut down.
    >
    > It seems to take about 5 min after you click Start, Shut Down - for the
    > "Turn off Screen" to appear.

    Too long. Does the hard drive light flicker continuously during that time?
    You may have set "clear pagefile on shutdown".

    > It started with this new MB, RAM, and CPU that I just installed. It's a
    > 2.9 GHz CPU and 512 MB RAM. (To me, it seems to be like after running
    > Heavy Equipment you have to wait about 10 min on idle for a cool down
    > period before you shut down the machine.) I checked the CPU, it does seem
    > to be on the Hot side.

    Start in "safe mode" (F8 during startup) and see if there is a difference
    when shutting down.

    > When I installed the Cooling fan I did apply a whole lotta Heat Sink
    > grease to it before snapping it into place.

    Ouch. And does it still spin? Isn't the white paste sputtered all around the
    inside of your computer case now? *ROFL*

    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Mar 22, 2006

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    At first there's a little HD activity... then it just sits there quietly...
    Then about 5 min later.. I get the Shut Down Screen.

    Dave

    PS... Heat Sink Grease looks Kool splattered inside the Case!!! <grin>

    Dave, Mar 23, 2006
  4. Dave wrote:

    > At first there's a little HD activity... then it just sits there
    > quietly...
    > Then about 5 min later.. I get the Shut Down Screen.

    Hmmm - so it seems not the "clear paging file on shutdown" issue.
    Now when you create a new (test) user, use that one to logon and then go to
    "shutdown system", does it take approximately the same time?
    You have not tried in "safe mode" yet?

    > Dave
    >
    > PS... Heat Sink Grease looks Kool splattered inside the Case!!! <grin>

    Hehe ... honestly, if you were talking about the heat conducting paste that
    has to be applied to the cpu surface before mounting the heatsink, you
    should take care to have exactly plain and clean surfaces (cpu as well as
    heatsink plate) and apply "just a molecule thin" layer to level the minimal
    tolerance and avoid insulating air in between. Conducting paste is not as
    good a heat conductor as plain metal is.
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Mar 23, 2006