Slow Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Lewis, Oct 4, 2006.

  1. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    Hi,
    I bought an HP Pavillion a409 (UK) a few years ago. Ever since I bought it,
    the computer has been extreemly slow to load almost everything. Logging on
    to a user on Windows XP takes several minutes, opening Firefox, Word etc
    takes almost as long. I realise that this system was an entry leval machine
    even when I bought it a few years ago, but I'm sure it should perform these
    fairly basic tasks much quicker.

    System Specs -
    Intel Celeron 2.6GHz CPU
    256MB RAM
    Seagate 40GB 5400RPM Hard Drive (ST340015A - Link
    http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,574,00.html)
    Currently using integrated graphics

    I've seen much slower computers log on to windows in seconds. Since it has
    been like this from the start, the problem can't be full disk, fragmented
    disk, spyware, viruses etc. I've tried disabling almost all startup
    programs, although it still loads for several minutes after logging on. I
    realise it has very little ram but again I've seen better performance from
    different systems of the same spec. Could the problem lie in the hard
    drive? I'v noticed that when loading, the HDD light stays on permanently,
    rather than flickering. I realise that it's only 5400rpm, but so are laptop
    hard drives and they are much faster.
    Any ideas?
    Many thanks,
    Lewis
    Lewis, Oct 4, 2006

  2. Lewis

    SJP Guest

    Add another 512Mb of memory and download crap cleaner to clear out the
    harddrive.

    SJP, Oct 4, 2006

  3. Lewis enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    > different systems of the same spec. Could the problem lie in the hard
    > drive? I'v noticed that when loading, the HDD light stays on
    > permanently,
    > rather than flickering. I realise that it's only 5400rpm, but so are
    > laptop hard drives and they are much faster.
    > Any ideas?

    Get the test program from the Seagate website and run it, or use some
    livecd (Hirens, Knoppix, other linux) with S.M.A.R.T test and parameter
    readout capability and watch for "prefailure" values.
    Another considerable thing might be you using the wrong/generic chipset
    driver therefore disabled DMA/UDMA features.
    Or check the cable, or a bios setting for UDMA/DMA modes.
    Walter Mautner, Oct 4, 2006
  4. Lewis

    richard Guest

    "Lewis" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I bought an HP Pavillion a409 (UK) a few years ago. Ever since I bought
    > it,
    > the computer has been extreemly slow to load almost everything. Logging
    > on
    > to a user on Windows XP takes several minutes, opening Firefox, Word etc
    > takes almost as long. I realise that this system was an entry leval
    > machine
    > even when I bought it a few years ago, but I'm sure it should perform
    > these
    > fairly basic tasks much quicker.

    After that time, you've built up a ton of junk in the registry.
    As it boots, it's looking for stuff that no longer exists.
    Try "Easy Cleaner" from Toniarts
    http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm
    richard, Oct 4, 2006
  5. Lewis

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 18:01:59 +0100, "Lewis"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I bought an HP Pavillion a409 (UK) a few years ago. Ever since I bought it,
    >the computer has been extreemly slow to load almost everything. Logging on
    >to a user on Windows XP takes several minutes, opening Firefox, Word etc
    >takes almost as long. I realise that this system was an entry leval machine
    >even when I bought it a few years ago, but I'm sure it should perform these
    >fairly basic tasks much quicker.
    >
    >System Specs -
    >Intel Celeron 2.6GHz CPU
    >256MB RAM
    >Seagate 40GB 5400RPM Hard Drive (ST340015A - Link
    >http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,574,00.html)
    >Currently using integrated graphics

    256 megs, and integrated graphics? Likely the graphics card uses some
    of the 256. I'd upgrade to at least 1 GB of memory. Windows is a
    memory hog.
    Evan Platt, Oct 4, 2006
  6. Lewis

    PeeCee Guest

    "Lewis" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I bought an HP Pavillion a409 (UK) a few years ago. Ever since I bought
    > it,
    > the computer has been extreemly slow to load almost everything. Logging
    > on
    > to a user on Windows XP takes several minutes, opening Firefox, Word etc
    > takes almost as long. I realise that this system was an entry leval
    > machine
    > even when I bought it a few years ago, but I'm sure it should perform
    > these
    > fairly basic tasks much quicker.
    >
    > System Specs -
    > Intel Celeron 2.6GHz CPU
    > 256MB RAM
    > Seagate 40GB 5400RPM Hard Drive (ST340015A - Link
    > http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,574,00.html)
    > Currently using integrated graphics
    >
    > I've seen much slower computers log on to windows in seconds. Since it
    > has
    > been like this from the start, the problem can't be full disk, fragmented
    > disk, spyware, viruses etc. I've tried disabling almost all startup
    > programs, although it still loads for several minutes after logging on. I
    > realise it has very little ram but again I've seen better performance from
    > different systems of the same spec. Could the problem lie in the hard
    > drive? I'v noticed that when loading, the HDD light stays on permanently,
    > rather than flickering. I realise that it's only 5400rpm, but so are
    > laptop
    > hard drives and they are much faster.
    > Any ideas?
    > Many thanks,
    > Lewis

    Lewis

    Common problem with budget HP's
    Two causes:
    1 HP load their PC's up with all sorts of software crap at start up.
    2 Insuffient RAM. 256MB less the amount used by your integrated Graphics
    (could be up to 64MB) means Windows is paging to Hard disk all the time,
    hence the HDD light staying on all the time.

    Two 'Cures"
    1 Refine the software on your PC. Remove all the HP crap, look in Add Remove
    Programs for Update managers, Toolbars and other 'Twiddly' bits. If you are
    unsure post a list here and others may be able to guide you.
    If you are running 'Norton Anti Virus' you should look seriously at
    replacing that with another, AVG Free comes to mind.
    (all tech's will tell you NAV is an absolute 'HOG' particularly in low RAM
    PC's)
    2 Add at least 256MB or preferably 512MB of RAM. 1025MB (1GB) of RAM would
    be ideal but you will most likely have to discard the present 256 to fit 2 x
    512MB sticks. (assumes only two RAM slots on motherboard, which is common in
    budget PC's)

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Oct 4, 2006
  7. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    Thanks very much for all the input, I'll consider all of the above. I've
    also just put in a faster hard drive, and I've moved some big programs onto
    it as well as the paging file to share out the load. I might also stick a
    grapgics card I have lying around in to free up a bit of RAM, and possibly
    buy some more RAM. In the meantime, does anyone know of any way to move
    Internet Explorer and Outlook Express onto a different drive? Windows Live
    Messenger also gives no option to be installed on a different drive, is
    there any workaround?
    Thanks again,
    Lewis

    Lewis, Oct 5, 2006