    How can I checke the speed of this disk .

    Cheers John
    , Oct 7, 2006

  2. In message <>, wrote:

    > How can I checke the speed of this disk .

    Try booting up with a Linux live CD and see if that works faster. If yes,
    it's a software problem. If not, then it's a hardware problem.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 7, 2006

  3. Craig Sutton Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Hallo
    >
    > Can anyone tell me why does it take approx 15 Min before I can use my
    > PC normally.
    > It seems that my hard drive goes real slow , It took 6 hours to
    > defragment the disk for only 27% .
    > I took it to a repair shop and all they did was remove a programme ,
    > with no improvemends except for there pocket , it cost me $100 .
    > Surfing the net goes fine , as soon something comes fron the disk , it
    > takes ages , and it all happend overnight.
    >
    > How can I checke the speed of this disk .

    Download hdtach to check the speed.

    One problem relating to HD speed is windows tends to forget the DMA setting.
    You can reset it by going to the system click on device manager right click
    the hard disk and hit uninstall. When you reboot windows will pick up the hd
    again.

    Make sure UDMA is also set in the bios.

    What brand model/size hd is it ?
    Craig Sutton, Oct 7, 2006
  4. impossible Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Hallo
    >
    > Can anyone tell me why does it take approx 15 Min before I can use
    > my
    > PC normally.
    > It seems that my hard drive goes real slow , It took 6 hours to
    > defragment the disk for only 27% .
    > I took it to a repair shop and all they did was remove a programme ,
    > with no improvemends except for there pocket , it cost me $100 .
    > Surfing the net goes fine , as soon something comes fron the disk ,
    > it
    > takes ages , and it all happend overnight.
    >
    > How can I checke the speed of this disk .

    If you're noticing that your PC is running slow, hard disk "speed" is
    probably the least of your problems. You may have too little free
    space on the drive, too little system memory, any number of things. If
    you want more help here, you're going to need to provide more details
    about the software and hardware you're using. But the so-called
    "repair shop" you went to should have been able to readily disagnose
    the trouble, and for the $100 you spent there I'd take it back and
    insist that they give you a full accounting.
    impossible, Oct 7, 2006
  5. jasen Guest

    On 2006-10-07, <> wrote:

    > Hallo
    >
    > Can anyone tell me why does it take approx 15 Min before I can use my
    > PC normally.

    not from here

    > It seems that my hard drive goes real slow , It took 6 hours to
    > defragment the disk for only 27% .

    disable your screensaver, exit all other apps, disconnect from the internet.
    empty the recycle bin, internet cache etc, and try again.

    > I took it to a repair shop and all they did was remove a programme ,
    > with no improvemends except for there pocket , it cost me $100 .
    > Surfing the net goes fine , as soon something comes fron the disk , it
    > takes ages , and it all happend overnight.
    >
    > How can I checke the speed of this disk .

    try some sort of benchmark software.

    try scanning it with ad-aware too.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Oct 7, 2006
  6. On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 09:04:01 GMT, wrote:

    > Hallo
    >
    > Can anyone tell me why does it take approx 15 Min before I can use my
    > PC normally.
    > It seems that my hard drive goes real slow , It took 6 hours to
    > defragment the disk for only 27% .
    > I took it to a repair shop and all they did was remove a programme ,
    > with no improvemends except for there pocket , it cost me $100 .
    > Surfing the net goes fine , as soon something comes fron the disk , it
    > takes ages , and it all happend overnight.
    >
    > How can I checke the speed of this disk .
    >
    > Cheers John

    Check it will your hard drive manufacturers diagnostic tolls.. I had drives
    like this and they were dying. Or these days I suspect
    spyware/viruses/nortons
    wogers nemesis, Oct 8, 2006