Slow Hanging Network Windows XP

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?cmFuZHk=?=, Jun 23, 2005.

  1. I am using Windows XP SP-2.
    Small network, one Wired PC, one Wireless PC, one Wireless Notebook (all G).
    Cable Modem (Road Runner) - static IP
    I had a D-Link router that did well (all Internet and Network connections
    worked)untill it crashed during a firmware upgrade.
    Replaced with a Linksys Wireless G Speedboost WRT54GS.
    Same SSID and WEP Key.
    Now, I cannot access the Network without a terrible delay, which causes a
    shared program on the server to hang and "not respond" when run on the
    workstations (they used to work fine with the previous router).
    I do have internet access OK, except frequent episodes on the wireless
    computers when the internet connection seems to just stop for a while.
    All are wireless G - one PC (D-Link PCI Adapter) one Notebook (Dell Internal)
    With excellent signal strength (54 MBps) there is a delay - between
    Wired-Wireless(both) and Wireless-Wireless.
    I re-setup the Network and Wireless network on all three computers, shut off
    Windows Firewall, disabled Mcafee Firewall on two that have it, and repaired
    the Winsock (with WinsockFixXP) to no avail. I see everything, but the
    transfer start is delayed (as I select down the Explorer tree the selection
    move stops at My Network Places and there is ~15-20sec delay before I can
    move down My Network Places to just select a shared folder) , then it's OK to
    transfer, it seems (although a bit slow). Something hangs when the selection
    reaches the Network.
    I also tried the Notebook at home using an identical WRT54GS and the same
    Wireless Security settings, but using a Dynamic ISP connection (the problem
    Router is a static ISP connection and I have enable MAC filtering to allow
    all the Network computers). Here, from the wired PC, transfers seem OK both
    to and from the wired PC. But from the wireless Notebook, I see everything
    fine, but as I select down the Explorer tree there is just ~6-7sec delay
    before I can move down My Network Places to select a shared folder and then I
    can transfer files. This is similar to the problem with the other Router for
    selection, but the problem router takes longer to allow a selection.
    =?Utf-8?B?cmFuZHk=?=, Jun 23, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cmFuZHk=?=

    Clark Guest

    You might try doing ping tests in different directions and keep track of the
    results. A tracert command might also show you where some things are
    slowing down. Do you have any logs you can look at, like maybe from the
    router or firewall? Doing an ipconfig /all command might show up a problem
    in the way your IP addresses are being assigned. Look for the Computers IP
    address and gateway and DNS IP addresses. Whenever I see delays finding
    web pages, I tend to think the DNS setup is involved, so yours might be
    looking for something in the wrong place.

    This won't help me, but what protocols are you running? I would also
    suggest updating whatever you can including WinXP as far as hotfixes. Are
    you using the Windows Wireless Zero Controller for your wireless cards or
    the Intel ProSet for the Dell? If you are using the WZC, you might try not
    starting the Intel controller if it is starting now. Or if it is starting
    and you want to use it, you might try disabling the Windows controller. I
    believe they will normally work together (one being disabled by the other),
    but you might check.

    I don't know anything about the Speedboost part, but is there a way you can
    turn that part off?

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 23, 2005

  3. Thank you.
    I previously did do ipconfig /all to check MAC addresses. What exactly am I
    looking for with the other addresses for DNS problems?
    I think IntelProset is running on my laptop, but am not sure about WZC or
    whats on the others. How do I check and what do I do to turn on/off?
    What am I looking for in logs? I think the router has logs.
    SpeedBoost is automatic, the best i can tell.
    WindowsXP has all recent updates.
    What do you mean by protocol?

    =?Utf-8?B?cmFuZHk=?=, Jun 23, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?cmFuZHk=?=

    Clark Guest

    This is the type of problem you have to refine your settings until you find
    the right one. To check the WZC, right click on My network Places, and
    select properties. Right click on your wireless connection and select
    properties. Open the Wireless Networks tab. The check box at the top will
    tell you if you are using the WZC, if it is checked you are. This is where
    you set your network configuration if you are using it. Highlight your
    network and select properties and enter your settings there.

    As for as the IP address situation, Normally the router is the DHCP server.
    If you have something else set up to do that it causes problems. The DHCP
    server should also give you your DNS servers. So if you do an ipconfig
    /all, you should see the address of your computer along with the MAC. It
    will also give your gateway, normally the router, 192.168.1.1 or something
    similar and the DNS servers, which may be a 192. number or possibly the
    actual servers of your ISP. The WAP address maybe another 192. xxx number,
    but not the same one as the router. If you could copy and post the results
    of the ipconfig, someone migh notice something strange.

    There are many settings that might have gotten messed up. It might be good
    to just do a new connection after you are connected in you preferred
    configuration.

    Clark

    To turn off WZC, go to My Network Places and right click for properties and
    select that.

    Clark, Jun 23, 2005
  5. I will check the Network Adapters.
    Here's the ipconfig of one wireless:

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : RandyMD
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : tampabay.rr.com

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : tampabay.rr.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI
    Car
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-7D-1C-1B-BD
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    65.32.1.70
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 23, 2005 8:22:44 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, June 24, 2005 8:22:44 AM

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated
    Cont
    roller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-43-71-E4-E6

    Here's the ipconfig of the wired server:

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : PCC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated
    Cont
    roller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-28-68-AD
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    65.32.1.70
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 23, 2005 8:20:25 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, June 24, 2005 8:20:25 AM

    =?Utf-8?B?cmFuZHk=?=, Jun 23, 2005
  6. Additional Info:
    The wireless adapters are checked to use windows (that is WZC, I presume)
    Also, Network Authentication was set to OPEN, but I changed it to SHARED
    (since a WEP Key is required)
    The pc-pc network viewing/selection (right-click in Explorer) may actually
    be a bit faster, but when I try to run my Program from the workstation (which
    gets data from the server) I still get a hang that is a "not responding"
    situation - on both wireless computers. The frustrating thing is, I did not
    change my PC set-up at all, just the router, and am having all of these
    problems!

    =?Utf-8?B?cmFuZHk=?=, Jun 23, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?cmFuZHk=?=

    Clark Guest

    Each brand of router is a little different in what they set up in the
    firmware. And sometimes they use different names for the same thing. I had
    a Linksys once that one particular firmware would block wireless internet
    access via a VPN. I went back to an earlier one and it worked again.

    There is a setting about blocking WAN requests, I don't know if it would
    effect your configuration, but you might check. On my router it is on the
    Advanced-Filters tab. Several settings there could be tried.

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 23, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?cmFuZHk=?=

    Clark Guest

    Most of this looks like mine, except I am not a member of a domain, so I
    don't have a DNS suffix entry. Since it is beyond my experience level, I
    have to assume you have checked to make sure it is setup correctly.

    I did notice some articles on the Microsoft help site about delays when
    logging in and perhaps other times and it seems they were referring to
    802.1x authentication.

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 24, 2005