    4x DVD +/- R/RW
    160 GB Seagate 7200 RPM Hard Drive
    Windows XP Professinal SP1 (All Patches)
    Andrew Watiker, Dec 16, 2003

  2. Andrew Watiker

    Night_Seer Guest

    Andrew Watiker wrote:
    > Hi, I just set-up a brand new machine running XP Pro. My old machine
    > had to small a hard drive to hold my entire MP3 collection. This new
    > machine however can. I had been storing my MP3s on a Nomad Jukebox
    > 3. I transfered all the files to the My Music folder of my account.
    > However, I have noticed that rearanging the icons or sometimes just
    > opening the folder is very slow. I was wondering if anyone knew of
    > anyway to speed this process up. Sometimes changing the order of the
    > files will cause Explorer to crash.
    >
    > 1,138 files = 6.82 GB
    >
    > System Specs
    >
    > OEM: ABSPC
    > Gigabyte 8KNXP 875p Motherboard
    > Intel Pentium IV 3.0 Ghz. 800MHZ.
    > 1 GB DDR-400 RAM
    > Saphire Radeon 9600 Pro (8x reduced to 4x)
    > 16x DVD-ROM
    > 4x DVD +/- R/RW
    > 160 GB Seagate 7200 RPM Hard Drive
    > Windows XP Professinal SP1 (All Patches)

    Have you defragged since moving all those files over. Also some of
    the file names could be overly long, but this has never really been a
    problem for me. I have about 10 times that amount in one folder, and it
    comes up fast...even when it was 52 percent fragmented (that is fixed
    now).
    The one thing different about my setup is that I have a seperate
    hard drive devoted specifically to MP3's, and have the My Music folder
    redirected to it. You could try adding an extra partition to keep the
    stuff seperate.
    Lastly, I assume this drive is brand new, though it could be a
    faulty drive...do you get other errors besides this when doing anything?

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Dec 16, 2003