Slow firewire transfer speeds...

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by JR, Feb 9, 2008.

  1. JR

    JR Guest

    I recently bought a new computer that came with Vista Home Premium 64 Bit.
    When I hook an external firewire drive to the system and go to copy a file, I
    get transfer speeds for around 60kb to 200kb. That's right, not even 1mb/s.

    My older laptop that is running XP Pro has no problems with this. I have
    google searched for this problem and found out that for some the performance
    and reliability updates (KB938979 and KB938194) *may* have fixed this
    problem. I tried to install those updates, but I got an error message "this
    update does not apply to your system" and it won't install. I can't tell
    whether that means the update is already installed or what. I did make sure
    that those KB updates were for Vista 64.

    There is another hotfix that someone mentioned, which is this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/934314/en-us

    There is another link to click on that sends an email to Microsoft Customer
    Support, but won't let you actually download the hotfix. I haven't tried
    this yet, but a thread in the Vista "reliability and performance" forum said
    that the hotfix made it worse.

    I'm at wit's end here. I depend on my firewire ports for video production.
    I can use my XP laptop to access my firewire devices and then get the files
    over my home network, but that's incredibly lame.

    Any help would be appreciated...
    JR, Feb 9, 2008

  2. JR

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 03:40:00 -0800, JR <> wrote:

    >I'm at wit's end here. I depend on my firewire ports for video production.
    >I can use my XP laptop to access my firewire devices and then get the files
    >over my home network, but that's incredibly lame.

    Slow filecopies is a Vista problem. If you want to work in 64-bit, better
    switch to XP64, as that one is much more reliable, and doesn't have the
    annoying features of Vista, which are just a hassle for multi-media work.

    jh
    Jud Hendrix, Feb 9, 2008

  3. JR

    John Barnes Guest

    You should check your installed updates to see if these are listed.

    John Barnes, Feb 9, 2008
  4. JR

    Jim Guest

    On Feb 9, 5:40 am, JR <> wrote:

    I, too, am using Windows x64. I have a Belkin, 64-bit, FireWire 800
    card installed. I am using the Unibrain drivers. It seems to be
    working fine.

    http://www.unibrain.com/download/download.asp

    FireWire has always seemed to pose problems for me in Windows. I have
    a Vista Lenovo notebook, and the FireWire 400 does not work to
    conntect to a Maxtor OneTouch II external drive, so I have to use USB
    2. My XP machine has never had adequate FireWire. I have
    corresponded with Microsoft to no avail. I don't think Microsoft/
    Intel are serious about getting FireWire to work on their machines.

    I do recommend both the Belkin FireWire 800 card and the Unibrain
    drivers. I have a Lexar FireWire 800 CompactFlash reader. Lexar tech
    support says it will not work in x64, but it works fine.

    I don't know whether that helps much.

    Jim
    Jim, Feb 10, 2008
  5. JR

    John Barnes Guest

    Also make sure you have the correct drivers.

    John Barnes, Feb 10, 2008
  6. JR

    Slappy777 Guest

    I have a VERY similar problem if not the exact same problem.

    Running Vista Home prem 64bit but my Firewire controller is a "AGERE" chip
    which I found is an LSI FW322. Motherboard is an Asus P5K-e.

    When I try and copy a 1.2gb folder with maybe a 100 files, it goes at around
    700kbps. If I copy a single 150Mb file, it goes at around 6Mbps.

    Eitherway its not working properly. I've tried on both the front panel
    connector and the rear direct to motherboard port.

    Yes, not much fun.

    Slappy777, Mar 20, 2008
  7. Upgrade to SP1 whenever you can. There are enhancements to firewire
    support.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 20, 2008