slow file transfer

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ken, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Hi folks,

    I am experiencing very slow file transfer rates across my home wirless LAN
    (0.72 MBits/sec). Here is the setup:

    2 PCs, both XP Pro with Ralink RT2500 Wireless LAN Cards driver version
    2.2.1.0 16/02/2004
    These are b/g cards as is my access point - a hardware DSL router (Sinus 154
    DSL Basic SE)

    The PC I am transferring from is registered on a domain because I use it for
    work over my DSL connection via a VPN.

    When I attempt to transfer files I am disconnected from the VPN however.

    The other PC is not on a domain and has fast user switching enabled.

    Can anyone please suggest where to start with trying to get the speed up
    please?

    Many thanks in advance for your time,

    Ken

    Ken, Oct 26, 2004

  2. Hi Ken

    It is possible that your wireless connection is experiencing interference or
    low signal strength. Here are some things to check:

    1) Is your wireless card within range of your AP? Check your
    connection's signal strength. A low signal strength will limit the bandwidth
    of your connection.
    2) You may be experiencing interference from another AP in the area.
    This AP may be communicating over the same wireless channel as your AP. Try
    configuring your AP with a different channel. You may need to try several
    different channels. You can usually do this via software provided with your
    AP.
    3) A 2.4GHz cordless phone will also interfere with your signal. If this
    is the source of your interference, you may need to replace the phone with a
    900MHz cordless phone.

    --
    Alan Muller
    Software Design Engineer in Test