Slow, expensive, mediocre lenses holding micro 4/3rds back

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jan 12, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    $800 for a 70-300mm Oly or a 100-300mm Panasonic. Neither is a star
    optically, both are slow. Meanwhile, standard DSLR lenses are faster,
    better optically and about 1/2 the price. Nikon's 70-300mm and
    Olympus's DSLR 70-300mm. Micro 4/3rds and slow does not mix well.
    You can't just jack the ISO up to 800 on a whim, you'll end up with
    terrible noise, compared to modern APS DSLRs. So slow lenses are a
    killer.
     
    RichA, Jan 12, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Rich wrote:
    >> Paul Furman<> wrote in news:34idnbI_
    >> :
    >>> RichA wrote:


    >>>> $800 for a 70-300mm Oly or a 100-300mm Panasonic. Neither is a star
    >>>> optically, both are slow. Meanwhile, standard DSLR lenses are faster,
    >>>> better optically


    >>> How would they work on 4/3 though?


    >> As far as I know, there are no micro 4/3rd to 4/3rd mounts. You can get
    >> electronic adapters (or manual) to go the other way, but the electrical
    >> performance of 4/3rds lenses on micro 4/3rds mounts is iffy. Focusing can
    >> be slow, not all of them work, etc.


    > My question is would a full frame or DX cheap 300mm zoom be sharp on 4/3 format? I suspect not. You could easily make the adapter
    > with cardboard tubes.


    I may soon have at least part of the answer. A friend is borrowing a
    couple of my sharper (on film) Nikkor AIS lenses (the 35-135mm
    f3.5-4.5 and the 135mm f2) to try on his new "fawn-see" Panasonic
    4/3rds pro video camera...
    --DR
     
    David Ruether, Jan 13, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >$800 for a 70-300mm Oly or a 100-300mm Panasonic. Neither is a star
    >optically, both are slow.



    Then don't buy them. Simple. ;-)
     
    Bruce, Jan 13, 2011
    #3
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 13, 1:42 am, Paul Furman <> wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    > > Paul Furman<>  wrote in news:34idnbI_
    > > :

    >
    > >> RichA wrote:
    > >>> $800 for a 70-300mm Oly or a 100-300mm Panasonic.  Neither is a star
    > >>> optically, both are slow.  Meanwhile, standard DSLR lenses are faster,
    > >>> better optically

    >
    > >> How would they work on 4/3 though?

    >
    > > As far as I know, there are no micro 4/3rd to 4/3rd mounts.  You can get
    > > electronic adapters (or manual) to go the other way, but the electrical
    > > performance of 4/3rds lenses on micro 4/3rds mounts is iffy. Focusing can
    > > be slow, not all of them work, etc.

    >
    > My question is would a full frame or DX cheap 300mm zoom be sharp on 4/3
    > format? I suspect not. You could easily make the adapter with cardboard
    > tubes.


    I don't know. For fun, I once mounted a 17-55mm f2.8 Nikon on a
    4/3rds camera, I never really analyzed the results it produced.
     
    RichA, Jan 14, 2011
    #4
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 13, 2:30 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >$800 for a 70-300mm Oly or a 100-300mm Panasonic.  Neither is a star
    > >optically, both are slow.  

    >
    > Then don't buy them.  Simple.  ;-)


    Don't be a flip, it reminds me of some of the mindless fanboys on
    Dpreview. What if you NEED lenses of that focal length? Your other
    choice is dump the camera, buy a new system.
     
    RichA, Jan 14, 2011
    #5
  6. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Jan 13, 2:30 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >> >$800 for a 70-300mm Oly or a 100-300mm Panasonic.  Neither is a star
    >> >optically, both are slow.  

    >>
    >> Then don't buy them.  Simple.  ;-)

    >
    >Don't be a flip, it reminds me of some of the mindless fanboys on
    >Dpreview. What if you NEED lenses of that focal length? Your other
    >choice is dump the camera, buy a new system.



    Your other choice is to STFU, but you aren't ever going to take that
    option, are you?

    (Rhetorical question, no answer sought or required)
     
    Bruce, Jan 14, 2011
    #6
  7. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 14, 3:28 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >On Jan 13, 2:30 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > >> RichA <> wrote:
    > >> >$800 for a 70-300mm Oly or a 100-300mm Panasonic. Neither is a star
    > >> >optically, both are slow.

    >
    > >> Then don't buy them. Simple. ;-)

    >
    > >Don't be a flip, it reminds me of some of the mindless fanboys on
    > >Dpreview.  What if you NEED lenses of that focal length?  Your other
    > >choice is dump the camera, buy a new system.

    >
    > Your other choice is to STFU, but you aren't ever going to take that
    > option, are you?


    Make me, camera hawker, Nikon fangirl.
     
    RichA, Jan 15, 2011
    #7
  8. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Jan 14, 3:28 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >> >On Jan 13, 2:30 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> >> RichA <> wrote:
    >> >> >$800 for a 70-300mm Oly or a 100-300mm Panasonic. Neither is a star
    >> >> >optically, both are slow.

    >>
    >> >> Then don't buy them. Simple. ;-)

    >>
    >> >Don't be a flip, it reminds me of some of the mindless fanboys on
    >> >Dpreview.  What if you NEED lenses of that focal length?  Your other
    >> >choice is dump the camera, buy a new system.

    >>
    >> Your other choice is to STFU, but you aren't ever going to take that
    >> option, are you?

    >
    >Make me, camera hawker, Nikon fangirl.



    <yawn>
     
    Bruce, Jan 15, 2011
    #8
  9. "David Ruether" <> wrote in message
    news:igmvte$obo$...
    > "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> Rich wrote:
    >>> Paul Furman<> wrote in news:34idnbI_
    >>> :
    >>>> RichA wrote:


    >>>>> $800 for a 70-300mm Oly or a 100-300mm Panasonic. Neither is a star
    >>>>> optically, both are slow. Meanwhile, standard DSLR lenses are faster,
    >>>>> better optically


    >>>> How would they work on 4/3 though?


    >>> As far as I know, there are no micro 4/3rd to 4/3rd mounts. You can get
    >>> electronic adapters (or manual) to go the other way, but the electrical
    >>> performance of 4/3rds lenses on micro 4/3rds mounts is iffy. Focusing can
    >>> be slow, not all of them work, etc.


    >> My question is would a full frame or DX cheap 300mm zoom be sharp on 4/3 format? I suspect not. You could easily make the adapter
    >> with cardboard tubes.


    > I may soon have at least part of the answer. A friend is borrowing a
    > couple of my sharper (on film) Nikkor AIS lenses (the 35-135mm
    > f3.5-4.5 and the 135mm f2) to try on his new "fawn-see" Panasonic
    > 4/3rds pro video camera...
    > --DR


    From what my friend reports, the zoom above is sharper than the Panasonic
    4/3rd lenses he has, with the 135mm f2 being much sharper... He reports
    a new market for Nikkor AIS lenses (with diaphragm ring detents removed)
    for use on the new 4/3rd video cameras. Good, since I have many to sell --
    http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/fs.htm ;-)
    --DR
     
    David Ruether, Jan 15, 2011
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. RichA
    Replies:
    27
    Views:
    821
    Better Info
    Jan 19, 2010
  2. RichA
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    281
    Ray Fischer
    Feb 15, 2010
  3. RichA
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    610
    John Turco
    Mar 29, 2010
  4. RichA

    OMG! Canon AF lenses, AF mode on micro 4/3rds!!!

    RichA, Jan 19, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    533
    Robert Coe
    Jan 23, 2011
  5. RichA
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    302
    RichA
    Feb 2, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page