    Is there any web site or program that will let me find out which of
    the three is causing me problems?

    Thanks for any info
    Marbleless, Jul 29, 2004

  2. Marbleless

    °Mike° Guest

    On 28 Jul 2004 18:54:05 -0700, in
    <>
    Marbleless scrawled:

    >As far as I can see there are three areas which could contribute to
    >bad dial-up internet connection:-
    >
    >1. Something wrong in the computer hardware or software

    That's two.

    1. Modem hardware -- replace modem.
    2. Software drivers (modem, DUN, TCP/IP) -- uninstall/reinstall.

    >2. Bad phone line

    3. Noise on phone line -- contact your telco.

    >3. Bad ISP

    4. Problem with ISP connectivity -- contact your ISP.
    5. Network congestion -- try again later.

    >Is there any web site or program that will let me find out which of
    >the three is causing me problems?

    You didn't even say what problems you are having. If/when
    you do, you need to be as specific as possible, and include
    as much detail as you can, including any VERBATIM error
    messages.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 29, 2004

  3. Marbleless

    JamesBenson Guest

    As far as I could see, mike's mum is his dad and vica versa, well I was
    stood next to them

    JamesBenson, Jul 29, 2004
  4. Marbleless

    Hamman Guest

    "Marbleless" <> wrote in message
    > As far as I can see there are three areas which could contribute to
    > bad dial-up internet connection:-

    <snip>

    no, just the one. Using dialup, by nature its erratic and slow.

    hamman
    Hamman, Jul 29, 2004
  5. Marbleless

    Marbleless Guest

    °Mike° <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 28 Jul 2004 18:54:05 -0700, in
    > <>
    > Marbleless scrawled:
    >
    > >As far as I can see there are three areas which could contribute to
    > >bad dial-up internet connection:-
    > >
    > >1. Something wrong in the computer hardware or software

    > That's two.
    >
    > 1. Modem hardware -- replace modem.
    > 2. Software drivers (modem, DUN, TCP/IP) -- uninstall/reinstall.

    I made it ONE as I was thinking in terms of AREA of the problem

    > >2. Bad phone line

    > 3. Noise on phone line -- contact your telco.
    >
    > >3. Bad ISP

    > 4. Problem with ISP connectivity -- contact your ISP.
    > 5. Network congestion -- try again later.
    >
    > >Is there any web site or program that will let me find out which of
    > >the three is causing me problems?

    > You didn't even say what problems you are having. If/when
    > you do, you need to be as specific as possible, and include
    > as much detail as you can, including any VERBATIM error
    > messages.

    As I said in the subject the connection is SLOW and ERRATIC in that
    sometimes it is faster than others and other times it takes ages to
    get a web page.

    I was not asking for actual answers in my post but for a web site that
    could guide me through things to look for.
    Marbleless, Jul 30, 2004
  6. Marbleless

    °Mike° Guest

    On 29 Jul 2004 21:47:23 -0700, in
    <>
    Marbleless scrawled:

    <snip>

    >I was not asking for actual answers in my post but for a web
    >site that could guide me through things to look for.

    Ok, well you've just blown any further help from me, so good
    luck in your search.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 30, 2004