    floder. What can I do to bring it back to the speed it used to have?

    Microsoft knowlege base doesn't have a clue.

    Tom Miller

    Tom Miller, Nov 30, 2003

  2. Tom Miller

    DH Guest

    Double click on My Computer. See if you have any drives listed that don't
    actually exist. Many times Windows doesn't notice when you remove a CD drive
    or something, and the extra lag that you're experiencing is Windows looking
    at/for the "phantom" drive.

    If this is the problem, inserting a lastdrive statement into the config.sys
    file i.e. (lastdrive=c), or d, or e, or whatever your last drive actually
    is, will solve your problem. Don't use the ( ) when you type the statement
    in your config.sys

    DH, Nov 30, 2003

  3. Tom Miller

    Shel-hed Guest

    One possible cause of this in 98/ME is a stuffed up My Documents folder. The
    workaround is to keep the number of files and folders within it to a minimum. Put old
    unused stuff somewhere else.
    Another fix is to do your regular cleanup and housekeeping, then boot into safe mode
    and run defrag. The "safe mode" is the important part, not the defrag. Unfortunately
    this resets some folder/window settings, but what the heck.

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:48:06 -0600, "Tom Miller" <> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Shel-hed, Nov 30, 2003