    upgrading from SP1 to SP2, and during adding new modem.Will deleting
    back-up files give better performance and speed?

    , Apr 25, 2006

  2. Duane Arnold Guest

    Re: Slow despite 10.0 Mbps WAN Miniport & Local Area Connection(LAN/HSInternet)

    wrote:
    > My computer browsing is extremely slow after connecting safely
    > removeable speed stream modem.

    > Further to above I have another Internet connection connecting on
    > Internet Gateway forever.

    Do you mean taking forever?

    > WAN(10 Mbps,Sent: 222,124bytes, Received: 511,435bytes
    > LAN(10 Mbps, Packets Sent: 2025, Packets Received: 1845)
    >
    > How can I delete old system restore points and back-up files during
    > upgrading from SP1 to SP2, and during adding new modem.Will deleting
    > back-up files give better performance and speed?

    Maybe, you have some kind of malware running on a machine that's sucking
    up bandwidth slowing the entire network down.

    A person I worked with was trying to setup a wire/wireless network and
    it was very slow. He came to find out that one of the machines had
    malware that was slowing down the network.

    You doing anything with deleting back-up files and whatnot you're
    talking about above is not going to buy you anything on the network
    performance issues.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 25, 2006

  3. Evan Platt Guest

    On 24 Apr 2006 19:47:54 -0700, wrote:

    >My computer browsing is extremely slow after connecting safely
    >removeable speed stream modem.

    Huh? What did you use before you connected 'safely removable speed
    stream modem'? I'm assuming this is a USB device?

    >Further to above I have another Internet connection connecting on
    >Internet Gateway forever.

    Huh?

    >WAN(10 Mbps,Sent: 222,124bytes, Received: 511,435bytes
    >LAN(10 Mbps, Packets Sent: 2025, Packets Received: 1845)

    Ok.. And? You are connected at 10 MBPS to the router. Not to the
    internet.

    Evan Platt, Apr 25, 2006
  4. Guest

    Network Connections:
    I have internet access via WAN(Miniport-PPOE) and LAN(Speed Stream
    Ethernet Adapter) are firewalled connected,while under Internet Gateway
    Internet connection is shown as connecting all times (Note:In its
    advanced settings no services are listed,may need to add).
    Software CD provided by Bell-Sympatico was unable to finish set-up
    several times,but I was able to add speedstream USB modem by running
    add new harware and selecting CD for drivers.I get following warning:
    The software for this hardware is not digitally signed and has not
    passed windows logo testing.

    I put continue anyway and succeeced,but later it was showing as safely
    removeable hardware as I failed in cycles of adding/removing by
    stop/disable/taking power & USB off from modem,restarting computer
    running their CD setup to the point of detecting internet connection.
    One more thing I noted that their installation prompt messages showing
    model 5200,while on back of modem it is 4200.

    , Apr 25, 2006
  5. Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote:
    > Network Connections:
    > I have internet access via WAN(Miniport-PPOE) and LAN(Speed Stream
    > Ethernet Adapter) are firewalled connected,while under Internet Gateway
    > Internet connection is shown as connecting all times (Note:In its
    > advanced settings no services are listed,may need to add).

    No you don't add any services. The adding of services is for special
    conditions of opening inbound port's for a service, like SMTP is a
    service if you had an email server or HTTP is a service if you had a Web
    server running behind the FW.

    > Software CD provided by Bell-Sympatico was unable to finish set-up
    > several times,but I was able to add speedstream USB modem by running
    > add new harware and selecting CD for drivers.I get following warning:
    > The software for this hardware is not digitally signed and has not
    > passed windows logo testing.

    It means that the software was not certified to run on the XP O/S. The
    reality is that, some software is not certified and if it's not then
    it's not. It's just a warning.

    > I put continue anyway and succeeced,but later it was showing as safely
    > removeable hardware as I failed in cycles of adding/removing by
    > stop/disable/taking power & USB off from modem,restarting computer
    > running their CD setup to the point of detecting internet connection.
    > One more thing I noted that their installation prompt messages showing
    > model 5200,while on back of modem it is 4200.

    That means you go to the device's download site and get the driver for
    the 4200 and you don't brute force a 5200 driver for the 4200 device.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 25, 2006
  6. Guest

    Thanks Duane for your tech suggestions,I am too much unhappy by looking
    ultra slow computer speed for 100 Mbps DSL connection.I run a quick AOL
    Spyware does not show any thing,moreover I have uninstalle RRTG
    alongwith it's remains,rebooted but Paesler Router Traffic Grapher
    still seen running as seen by msconfig.
    Diverting my attention to c what need to be done to pick speed.

    , Apr 25, 2006
  7. Guest

    I have uninstalled Internet Information Services and MSN Explorer last
    night.

    , Apr 25, 2006
  8. Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks Duane for your tech suggestions,I am too much unhappy by looking
    > ultra slow computer speed for 100 Mbps DSL connection.I run a quick AOL
    > Spyware does not show any thing,moreover I have uninstalle RRTG
    > alongwith it's remains,rebooted but Paesler Router Traffic Grapher
    > still seen running as seen by msconfig.
    > Diverting my attention to c what need to be done to pick speed.

    If the card you're using on the machine is 10 mbps only and not 10/100
    switchable, then it's not going to run at 100 mbps. If the card can't
    run in full duplex mode it can't run in full duplex mode. Wireless cards
    cannot run in full duplex mode period.

    The router should have built in *switch* technology and it switches to
    the appropriate speed on the LAN based on the speed of the card and its
    capabilities.

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-hubs-and-switches.asp

    However, you only have a *small* network so being at 10 or 100 mbps on
    the LAN really makes no difference. It's not like you're running a big
    corporate LAN with a 1,000 machines with speed considerations in that
    kind of environment.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 25, 2006
  9. Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote:
    > I have uninstalled Internet Information Services and MSN Explorer last
    > night.

    Well, if you have no need for IIS because you're not running a WEB
    server, then you don't need it. IIS is a *service* that there would be a
    *service* rule or you would have to create a *service* rule the HTTP
    *service* rule on the router's FW to allow the IIS Web server to be
    contacted behind the FW.

    That HTTP service rule would need to be enabled so that client machines
    over the Internet wanting to make contact with your site through the
    browser running on client machine can do so, as an example.

    That's what *service* rules on the FW are about.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 25, 2006
  10. Guest

    Duane I called Bell Tech & Business Rep,according to them my service
    not yet activated,so question arises how I succeded in making LAN/WAN
    laziest connection to access internet world,but speed well below
    dial-up.May be it's all b/c of modem availability.I have downloaded and
    substituted siemens speedstream model 4200 latest drivers by drag &
    drop to system32/driver folder.No majic yet.I feel lost spdeed only due
    to auto upgrading era from Sp1 to Sp2.
    I need your/anyone's kind views/suggestions

    , Apr 25, 2006
  11. Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote:
    > Duane I called Bell Tech & Business Rep,according to them my service
    > not yet activated,so question arises how I succeded in making LAN/WAN
    > laziest connection to access internet world,but speed well below
    > dial-up.May be it's all b/c of modem availability.I have downloaded and
    > substituted siemens speedstream model 4200 latest drivers by drag &
    > drop to system32/driver folder.No majic yet.I feel lost spdeed only due
    > to auto upgrading era from Sp1 to Sp2.
    > I need your/anyone's kind views/suggestions

    Well, if you're saying that Bell is you ISP and they don't have you
    setup, then how are you making this post?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 25, 2006
  12. Guest

    This is what I want to speakn to them,but they don't want to listen bad
    reputation of their toy modem mnf by chinese.it's slightly weighter
    than it's own CD.The line to QA dropped in intentionally by them.
    My Modem is Siemens Chinese,
    My Tel line is Rogers
    My ISP is Bell/Sympatico,
    Modem delivery and activation delayed due to wrong circuit# issued by
    rogers to bell.
    My Fav Browser is Internet,while XP-SP2 updated by Microsoft.
    Don't how my connection (LAN/WAN) riding over unactivated DSL
    track.Only thing Bell provided me is an alternate dial-up connection
    last week in absence of HS/DSL connection,which I am nomore using just
    to keep my line free,I have taken slow poison of 100Mbps HS Internet.

    , Apr 25, 2006
  13. Guest

    This is what I want to speak to them,but they don't want to listen bad
    reputation of their toy modem mnf by chinese.it's slightly weighter
    than it's own CD.The line to QA dropped in intentionally by them.
    My Modem is Siemens Chinese,supplied by/from Progisticx Solutions Inc.
    of Canada
    My Tel line is Rogers
    My ISP is Bell/Sympatico,
    Modem delivery and activation delayed due to wrong circuit# issued by
    rogers to bell.
    My Fav Browser is Internet,while XP-SP2 updated by Microsoft.
    Don't how my connection (LAN/WAN) riding over unactivated DSL
    track.Only thing Bell provided me is an alternate dial-up connection
    last week in absence of HS/DSL connection,which I am nomore using just
    to keep my line free,I have taken slow poison of 100Mbps HS Internet.

    , Apr 25, 2006
  14. Guest

    How to fix extremely slow 10Mbps DSL XPSP2 Bell Sympatico Connection

    How to fix extremely slow 10Mbps DSL XPSP2 Bell Sympatico Connection

    Tweak Test
    Service:dsl
    Speed (advertised) kbit/s: 10 Mbps
    Operating System:winXP
    Connection:winXPpppo

    1. Your Tweakable Settings:
    Receive Window (RWIN): 17280
    Window Scaling: off
    Path MTU Discovery: ON
    RFC1323 Window Scaling: OFF
    RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF
    Selective Acks: ON
    MSS requested: 1440
    TTL:
    (less any hops behind firewall)
    133
    TTL remaining: 118
    TOS/TOS subfield: 0
    TOS/Flags:

    2. Test 1024001 byte download
    Actual data bytes sent: 1024001
    Actual data packets: 713
    Max packet sent (MTU): 1480
    Max packet recd (MTU): 1480
    Retransmitted data packets: 0
    sacks you sent: 0
    pushed data pkts: 114
    data transmit time: 3.511 secs
    our max idletime: 230.0 ms
    transfer rate: 268398 bytes/sec
    transfer rate: 2147 kbits/sec
    This is not a speed test!
    transfer efficiency: 100%

    3. ICMP (ping) check
    Minimum ping: 35.67 ms
    Maximum ping: 38.09 ms
    Ping stability:
    36.84 38.09 36.90 36.44 36.16 37.48 35.67 36.91 36.70 37.18

    Notes and recommendations:
    Check FAQ on MTU for XP (FAQ #2252)
    Choose RWIN between 95040 and 250560 (FAQ #586)
    download/use DRTCP .. (FAQ #578)

    SPEED TEST
    187.4 kilobits per second

    Communications 187.4 kilobits per second
    Storage 22.9 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 44.8 seconds
    Subjective rating Mediocre

    Date & time Wednesday, April 26, 2:35PM*
    Test type IDT4 Free
    Connection type ADSL
    Region Ontario
    Data size 1024KB
    IP address XXXXXXXXXXXX
    Provider

    Comparison
    Your speed
    ADSL in Ontario (avg. 1.32 Mbits/sec)
    T-1 (max. 1.54 Mbits/sec)

    , Apr 26, 2006
  15. Guest

    10Mbps not 100Mbps,I took 100 from 100%.

    , Apr 26, 2006