    Messages:
    1
    Why it takes more than an hour to copy 4.7GB video files from dvd to hard disc on my lenovo using xp operating system, while it takes around 17 to 20 minutes in my old Toshiba of lesser configuration? CAN ANY ONE HELP ME WITH THIS?
    vijreddy, Jan 12, 2009

  2. vijreddy

    technoplume

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2009
    Messages:
    55
    There could be a lot of variable involve in this. Many were u won't be able to change. 1st is the dvd read wright speed, in this case u can get a better reader. Then the Harddrive could be a 5400rpm. Those are use a lot in laptop to reduce battery consumption. But it also reduce preformance.

    Now the thing u can't realy change, and frankly would indicate a very bad conception. The laptop has bottleneck in the road to transfer data from dvd to HD. Probably that it's using IDE instead of SATA. Then there the CPU that might not have native support for uncompressing the data on the dvd. This would reduce his speed a lot cause it has to use software to do the job. Making it double effort to copy the data.

    1 other factor I can see is that u copy Dual-layer dvd on single layer. In that case the computer has to compress the data to fit the medium. In that case all the GHz and FSB speed and all the other compoment are a factor in the speed needed to compress the data. Also dvd reader are usualy slower whit DL medium compared to SL when burning the files.
    technoplume, Jan 12, 2009