    wondering what could be different on my computer ?

    Thanks in advance,
    Davy

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2eQ==?=, Jun 9, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2eQ==?=

    Malke Guest

    Davy wrote:

    > I have the following problem when I start up my computer (Win XP Pro
    > SP2) :
    >
    > The computer starts up just fine except that it takes a very long time
    > for the computer to connect to the internet (Lan or wireless). Also I
    > noticed that after logging on when I go directly to the control panel
    > and select ‘Network Connections’ it takes about two minutes for that
    > screen to open. I’m not sure it has something to do with the nework
    > connections because even if I try to open ‘System properties’
    > (directly after logging on) to check the hardware devices it also
    > takes about two minutes to open that screen. After the screen is
    > opened the computer connects fast and correct to the internet.
    >
    > On my laptop I also have Win XP Pro SP2 and after logging on it only
    > takes about 10 seconds for everything to load and connect to the
    > internet. So I was wondering what could be different on my computer ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Davy

    Hi, Davy. Since you haven't told us how the (presumably) desktop
    connects to the Internet or any of your network details (home lan, work
    domain, etc.) I can't give you a specific answer. It sounds like the
    desktop perhaps has some incorrect DNS settings or is looking for a
    nonexistant network resource and is timing out. Or you have something
    set to start up with Windows that doesn't exist and the machine is
    timing out.

    The best way to troubleshoot this is to start with some clean-boot
    t-shooting:

    Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
    and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

    Of course you also should be sure that the desktop is 100% virus and
    malware-free, but it sounds more like a timing-out issue.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Jun 9, 2005

  3. Hey Malke,

    First of all, sorry for the cross-posting. I know I shouldn't, but just
    wasn't shure where to post so...

    Anyway, here's some more detail information: The pc is indeed a (new)
    desktop. I connect to the internet using a wireless connection at home.
    Everything is configured just fine and I can connect (safe and protected) to
    the internet. Only it takes some time (about two minutes). My laptop does in
    about 10sec.

    When logged on, I can immediately work with whatever application installed,
    only the control panel hangs for about two minutes. Meaning I can open the
    control panel, but when I try to open a subitem (not only network
    connections) it takes about two minutes for it to show. After those two
    minutes everything runs fine and the pc also connects to the internet.

    I'll try your suggestions at home and will let you know what I find out.

    Thanks for the swift reply !
    Davy

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2eQ==?=, Jun 9, 2005
  4. Hello Malke,

    I narrowed the problem down and it is most certainly the wireless device
    that slows down the system for about two minutes! When this device isn't
    installed (and connect using an ethernet adapter) everything runs as fast as
    a train...

    I have a usrobotics (USR805416) Wireless Turbo PCI Adapter.

    Greetings,
    Davy

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2eQ==?=, Jun 11, 2005