Slow connection

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Senturon, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. Senturon

    Senturon Guest

    I am currently running a cable connection, 100Mbps, and getting nowhere near
    that, getting the classic 'dialup' speed, but then it slows down further and
    usually hangs, websites take forever to load, but actually downloading
    files, forget it without a download manager with resume. Aaanyways, i've
    scanned using three different virus programs, updated norton, free updated
    avg, and a free version of panda-scan, also have run ad-ware, and
    spy-bot....got rid of some things but the problem persists.

    I also use sygate personal firewall which leads me to believe it might not
    be a virus or adware/spyware, because it is not as tho a program is 'eating
    up' my bandwidth, it is almost as tho i just have none to begin with. I was
    curious if perhaps i installed a program, or perhaps screwed something up to
    'limit' my bandwidth, or configure it somehow as such. I've been kinda
    looking around, also searching online for some help but with little to no
    luck. I'm running XP and was wondering if there is somewhere to configure
    it, or some program/test i could run to see what's going on....the other
    computers on my network are running fine(meaning running at a full
    connection speed) so it can't have anything to do with my ISP. I dunno any
    help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

    ~Senturon

    Senturon, Jun 4, 2004

  2. "Senturon" <senturontemp-at-charter-dot-net> wrote in message
    > I am currently running a cable connection, 100Mbps, and getting nowhere

    near
    > that, getting the classic 'dialup' speed,

    <<SNIP>>
    > ~Senturon

    Hi Senturon.

    Mate I had exactly the same problem. I have a 1500meg ADSL connection and I
    was getting speeds similar to a 100k connection. I was running Windows XP
    Pro.

    My ISP tried everything. They finally sent out a tech who spent almost 3
    hours on it without finding the problem. He could see that it was not
    running at full speed but everything workd perfect when plugged into his
    computer. It was something in my computer that they could not find.

    They finally gave up and suggested I reformat and reinstall Windows.

    I did that and the connection worked perfectly once that was done.

    Backup your system, format your drive and reinstall Windows XP. It should
    fix the problem.
    Just don't run all the new Windows updates as one of the latest ones are
    screwing with my computer and causing it to freeze occasionally.

    I am about to re-install WinXP again but not run all the updates.

    Best regards

    Garry

    Garry Beattie, Jun 4, 2004

  3. Senturon

    mark mandel Guest

    > I am currently running a cable connection, 100Mbps, and getting nowhere

    near
    > that, getting the classic 'dialup' speed, but then it slows down further

    and
    > usually hangs, websites take forever to load, but actually downloading
    > files, forget it without a download manager with resume. Aaanyways, i've
    > scanned using three different virus programs, updated norton, free updated
    > avg, and a free version of panda-scan, also have run ad-ware, and
    > spy-bot....got rid of some things but the problem persists.
    >
    > I also use sygate personal firewall which leads me to believe it might not
    > be a virus or adware/spyware, because it is not as tho a program is

    'eating
    > up' my bandwidth, it is almost as tho i just have none to begin with. I

    was
    > curious if perhaps i installed a program, or perhaps screwed something up

    > 'limit' my bandwidth, or configure it somehow as such. I've been kinda
    > looking around, also searching online for some help but with little to no
    > luck. I'm running XP and was wondering if there is somewhere to configure
    > it, or some program/test i could run to see what's going on....the other
    > computers on my network are running fine(meaning running at a full
    > connection speed) so it can't have anything to do with my ISP. I dunno

    any
    > help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    >
    > ~Senturon

    Have you checked in the Event viewer to see what it says? As opposed to a
    format and subsequent reinstall(suggested by the other respondent), I'd
    suggest doing a "repair/install" first to see if that clears things up.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Jun 4, 2004
  4. Senturon

    Hamman Guest

    > I am currently running a cable connection, 100Mbps, and getting nowhere

    near
    > that, getting the classic 'dialup' speed,

    Check your fibre router is correctly setup, sounds like a firewall is
    getting a little picky about what you connect to. Also check the temperature
    in your rackmount / cabinet, i've seen routing hardware slow to a crawl when
    it gets too hot.

    You must be paying several hundred ££/$$/?? a month for that sort of
    connectivity, so get your ISP to sort it out for you. Most provide a managed
    connection for not much on top of your standard charge.

    hamman

    Hamman, Jun 4, 2004
  5. Senturon

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Garry Beattie" <> wrote in message
    > "Senturon" <senturontemp-at-charter-dot-net> wrote in message
    > > I am currently running a cable connection, 100Mbps, and getting nowhere

    > near
    > > that, getting the classic 'dialup' speed,

    > <<SNIP>>
    > > ~Senturon

    > Hi Senturon.
    >
    > Mate I had exactly the same problem. I have a 1500meg ADSL connection and

    > was getting speeds similar to a 100k connection. I was running Windows XP
    > Pro.
    >
    > My ISP tried everything. They finally sent out a tech who spent almost 3
    > hours on it without finding the problem. He could see that it was not
    > running at full speed but everything workd perfect when plugged into his
    > computer. It was something in my computer that they could not find.
    >
    > They finally gave up and suggested I reformat and reinstall Windows.
    >
    > I did that and the connection worked perfectly once that was done.
    >
    > Backup your system, format your drive and reinstall Windows XP. It should
    > fix the problem.
    > Just don't run all the new Windows updates as one of the latest ones are
    > screwing with my computer and causing it to freeze occasionally.
    >
    > I am about to re-install WinXP again but not run all the updates.
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > Garry

    Hey, that's the best advice I ever heard! Why didn't I think about running a
    unpatched machine on a broadband connection!

    Doh!

    Michael-NC, Jun 4, 2004
  6. Senturon

    vince Guest

    It doesn't cost a few hundred a month for cable internet. I think that mine
    costs a lot wihich is Comcast at $60 a month.

    vince, Jun 5, 2004
  7. Senturon

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "vince" <> wrote in

    > It doesn't cost a few hundred a month for cable internet. I think that
    > mine costs a lot wihich is Comcast at $60 a month.

    You'll notice the OP said he has a 100mbit/sec internet connection. Cable
    is not 100mbit. Comcast just upped it to 3mbit. Generally if you are
    getting 100mbit/sec connection, it is probably over fibre optics and you
    are probably paying several thousand dollars a month for it.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Jun 5, 2004
  8. Senturon

    Jerry G. Guest

    If you are running XP, you should use the XP firewall, and not an outside
    firewall. Also, it is best to use a hardware firewall, and not use a
    software firewall. I believe it is your firewall that is the problem.

    I am using XP-Pro, and have a router between the machine, and the outside.
    The router has a built in firewall.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., Jun 5, 2004
  9. Senturon

    Thor Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > If you are running XP, you should use the XP firewall, and not an outside
    > firewall. Also, it is best to use a hardware firewall, and not use a
    > software firewall. I believe it is your firewall that is the problem.
    >
    > I am using XP-Pro, and have a router between the machine, and the outside.
    > The router has a built in firewall.

    You fail to mention (or perhaps realize?) that the windowsXP firewall, and
    NAT router firewalls do not monitor outbound traffic. If you pick up a piece
    of malware, spyware, a virus, or backdoor program via the typical vectors
    (email, webpages, P2P), it will happily connect to the net, right through
    the XP or NAT firewall, because there is no outbound control. Now, if you
    are extra vigilant about making sure that kind of stuff never gets on your
    machine to begin with, then using XP's firewall is ok, but people in general
    aren't so vigilant, and they should use a 3rd party firewall to ensure that
    they are notified when something suspicious is attempting to connect to the
    internet from their computer. Fortunately, when MS comes out with SP2 for XP
    it will include a beefed-up firewall, which does have outbound connection
    control and monitoring.

    Thor, Jun 5, 2004
  10. Senturon

    bearman Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <> wrote in message
    > "vince" <> wrote in
    >
    > > It doesn't cost a few hundred a month for cable internet. I think that
    > > mine costs a lot wihich is Comcast at $60 a month.
    > >

    > You'll notice the OP said he has a 100mbit/sec internet connection. Cable
    > is not 100mbit. Comcast just upped it to 3mbit. Generally if you are
    > getting 100mbit/sec connection, it is probably over fibre optics and you
    > are probably paying several thousand dollars a month for it.
    >
    > --
    > website: http://www.demonlag.com
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email:

    Without sounding too pedantic: a lowercae "m" stands for milli, a capital
    "M" stands for mega. Well, I guess I did sound too pedantic but what the
    hell!

    Bearman

    bearman, Jun 5, 2004
  11. Senturon

    VWWall Guest

    bearman wrote:

    > "DeMoN LaG" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"vince" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>It doesn't cost a few hundred a month for cable internet. I think that
    >>>mine costs a lot wihich is Comcast at $60 a month.
    >>>

    >>You'll notice the OP said he has a 100mbit/sec internet connection. Cable
    >>is not 100mbit. Comcast just upped it to 3mbit. Generally if you are
    >>getting 100mbit/sec connection, it is probably over fibre optics and you
    >>are probably paying several thousand dollars a month for it.
    >>
    >>--
    >>website: http://www.demonlag.com
    >>AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    >>email:

    > Without sounding too pedantic: a lowercae "m" stands for milli, a capital
    > "M" stands for mega. Well, I guess I did sound too pedantic but what the
    > hell!

    Even a 100 millibit connection would be pretty slow! :)

    For additional pedantics see:

    http://www.ukmetrication.com/pcs.htm

    Also has a good explanation of kilo(k) = 1000 vs kilo(k) = 1024.

    "Since the abbreviation for kilo is a lowercase k, this is used for
    decimal kilobytes and an uppercase K is used to indicate binary
    kilobytes. This is an established convention and should always be
    followed (though it isn't always)."

    "Beyond that, things get a little fuzzy. Since an upper case M is always
    used to abbreviate mega, we can't really say that an uppercase M
    indicates binary megabytes *unless we also say that a lowercase m
    indciates decimal megabytes.* So the unit symbols for binary and decimal
    megabytes, gigabytes, etc. are the same."

    <emphasis added>

    "Bytes and bits can be distinguished by an uppercase B for bytes and a
    lowercase b for bits. This may not be strictly followed."

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........

    VWWall, Jun 5, 2004
  12. Senturon

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "bearman" <> wrote in

    > Without sounding too pedantic: a lowercae "m" stands for milli, a
    > capital "M" stands for mega.

    If you are going to nitpick about my lack of capitalization, at least spell
    words right.

    Jim Berwick, Jun 5, 2004
  13. Senturon

    bearman Guest

    "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    > "bearman" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Without sounding too pedantic: a lowercae "m" stands for milli, a
    > > capital "M" stands for mega.

    > If you are going to nitpick about my lack of capitalization, at least

    spell
    > words right.

    You got me!

    Bearman