slow connection

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by nick, Dec 24, 2003.

  1. nick

    nick Guest

    I just brought a new computer, the info on it is as below. It is very slow
    at viewing web pages and the CPU usage tends to shoot up to about 100%, and
    stays there. Trying to use the internet becomes pointless and I have to
    switch off the computer and use my friends laptop, running on Windows XP,
    which is always much faster. Below is all the info that I can think of
    which might help to explain the causes of the problem. Any advice would be
    appreciated.

    Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
    Clean install using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=C:\WIN98 /IS /NR
    /IZ /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    IE 5 5.00.2614.3500
    Uptime: 0:00:01:47
    Normal mode
    On "P7Z7M9" as "John"

    AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
    224MB RAM
    63% system resources free
    Windows-managed swap file on drive C (34235MB free)
    Available space on drive C: 34235MB of 38152MB (FAT32)

    The modem is a Lucen , connecting at 1152000 (dropping to about 37333) and
    "this device is working properly" when I make a check on it.

    I have Zonealarm and AVG running and disabling Zonealarm sometimes seems to
    make a slight improvement in the speed.

    These are the programs running in the background. I don't know if that is
    the problem, and if it is, how can I deal with it.

    My documents Netropa hot key Explorer Zonealarm
    Mouse32a Soundman Findfast Hpotddos Stimon
    Osa Hparschd Rnaapp Memload -delis
    Avgcc32 inetkb Hp2sbo8 Tpddr Systray
    Avgserv9 Osu

    Any advice welcome

    ---

    nick, Dec 24, 2003

  2. nick

    Sultan Guest

    Number one thing not to do is shut off your firewall (Zone Alarm) while
    your on the Internet, doing so only results in the bad guys snooping into
    your pc.

    When your CPU usage is at 100% can you tell via taskmanager what program or
    process is using the cpu time?

    Have you installed any new programs right before the problem started?

    I'll check back for your answers and we can go from there.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Dec 24, 2003

  3. nick

    Thip Guest

    "nick" <> wrote in message
    > I just brought a new computer, the info on it is as below. It is very slow
    > at viewing web pages and the CPU usage tends to shoot up to about 100%,

    and
    > stays there. Trying to use the internet becomes pointless and I have to
    > switch off the computer and use my friends laptop, running on Windows XP,
    > which is always much faster. Below is all the info that I can think of
    > which might help to explain the causes of the problem. Any advice would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
    > Clean install using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=C:\WIN98 /IS

    /NR
    > /IZ /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    > IE 5 5.00.2614.3500
    > Uptime: 0:00:01:47
    > Normal mode
    > On "P7Z7M9" as "John"
    >
    > AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
    > 224MB RAM
    > 63% system resources free
    > Windows-managed swap file on drive C (34235MB free)
    > Available space on drive C: 34235MB of 38152MB (FAT32)
    >

    > The modem is a Lucen , connecting at 1152000 (dropping to about 37333)

    and
    > "this device is working properly" when I make a check on it.
    >
    > I have Zonealarm and AVG running and disabling Zonealarm sometimes seems

    > make a slight improvement in the speed.
    >
    > These are the programs running in the background. I don't know if that is
    > the problem, and if it is, how can I deal with it.
    >
    > My documents Netropa hot key Explorer Zonealarm
    > Mouse32a Soundman Findfast Hpotddos Stimon
    > Osa Hparschd Rnaapp Memload -delis
    > Avgcc32 inetkb Hp2sbo8 Tpddr Systray
    > Avgserv9 Osu
    >

    > Any advice welcome

    This is a total (and probably useless) shot in the dark, but have you
    modified the hosts file? I am running XP Pro and encountered something very
    close to the problem you're describing. It vanished when I moved the hosts
    file to the Desktop as an experiment. FYI, I tracked down the culprit using
    Filemon from www.sysinternals.com.

    Thip, Dec 24, 2003
  4. nick

    M Mullen Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:24:40 +0000 (UTC), "nick" <> wrote:

    |> I just brought a new computer, the info on it is as below. It is very slow
    |> at viewing web pages and the CPU usage tends to shoot up to about 100%,
    |>
    |> I have Zonealarm and AVG running and disabling Zonealarm sometimes seems to
    |> make a slight improvement in the speed.

    ZoneAlarm had a version which the file vsmon.exe would use all available cpu.
    Download the latest version (4.5.530 or later), and see if that makes a
    difference.
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w I much prefer travelling in non-British ships.

    M Mullen, Dec 25, 2003
  5. nick

    nick Guest

    What does the host file do?

    The other thing I discovered was that using Word 97 shoots the CPU usgae
    right up to 100% whilst I am typing, I don't know if that is normal. Also, I
    pressed contr-alt-delete and turned off all the prgrams that were running in
    the background. When I started the CPU usage was about 60%, by the time I
    was down to just `explorer` the CPU usage was...about 60%.

    This morning I wanted to read my email but the system just got as far as
    "connecting", after 2 mins I restarted the computer and tried again, no
    problem rading email this time. These problem ONLY oocur with this
    computer, not my friends, which I use on the same telephone line.

    nick, Dec 25, 2003
  6. nick

    tirechicken Guest

    "nick" <> wrote message

    > What does the host file do?
    >
    > The other thing I discovered was that using Word 97 shoots the
    > CPU usgae right up to 100% whilst I am typing, I don't know if
    > that is normal. Also, I pressed contr-alt-delete and turned
    > off all the prgrams that were running in the background.

    [cut]
    >> > These are the programs running in the background. I don't
    >> > know if that

    > is
    >> > the problem, and if it is, how can I deal with it.
    >> >
    >> > My documents Netropa hot key Explorer
    >> > Zonealarm Mouse32a Soundman

    >> > Findfast

    Disable the above.

    tirechicken, Dec 25, 2003
  7. nick

    trout Guest

    nick wrote:

    > I just brought a new computer, the info on it is as below. It is very
    > slow at viewing web pages and the CPU usage tends to shoot up to
    > about 100%, and stays there. Trying to use the internet becomes
    > pointless and I have to switch off the computer and use my friends
    > laptop, running on Windows XP, which is always much faster. Below
    > is all the info that I can think of which might help to explain the
    > causes of the problem. Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
    > Clean install using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=C:\WIN98
    > /IS /NR /IZ /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    > IE 5 5.00.2614.3500
    > Uptime: 0:00:01:47
    > Normal mode
    > On "P7Z7M9" as "John"
    >
    > AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
    > 224MB RAM
    > 63% system resources free
    > Windows-managed swap file on drive C (34235MB free)
    > Available space on drive C: 34235MB of 38152MB (FAT32)
    >

    > The modem is a Lucen , connecting at 1152000 (dropping to about
    > 37333) and "this device is working properly" when I make a check on
    > it.
    >
    > I have Zonealarm and AVG running and disabling Zonealarm sometimes
    > seems to make a slight improvement in the speed.
    >
    > These are the programs running in the background. I don't know if
    > that is the problem, and if it is, how can I deal with it.
    >
    > My documents Netropa hot key Explorer Zonealarm
    > Mouse32a Soundman Findfast Hpotddos Stimon
    > Osa Hparschd Rnaapp Memload -delis
    > Avgcc32 inetkb Hp2sbo8 Tpddr Systray
    > Avgserv9 Osu
    >

    > Any advice welcome

    The one thing that really stands-out for me is 'Findfast' which is
    often mentioned as a kind-of-useless resource hog. *That* I'd disable.
    I don't see any mention of spy/adware detection; which is often a
    source of on-line sluggishness.
    Three free; *complementary* programs:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    <http://security.kolla.de/>

    Ad-Aware
    <http://www.lavasoftusa.com/>

    Spyware Blaster
    <http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html>
    --
    "All three should be used/updated as regular system maintenance."

    trout, Dec 25, 2003
  8. nick

    Thip Guest

    "nick" <> wrote in message
    > What does the host file do?

    I use mine to block banners and ads. Obviously not your problem or you'd
    have been aware of downloading/creating and using a modified one. Sorry,
    but I figured it was a shot in the dark. :-(

    Thip, Dec 25, 2003
  9. nick

    nick Guest

    I hd a think about all the various comments people made to my request for
    help and also upgraded the Zonealarm and shut down all the programs running
    in the background. Nothing makes any difference to the download problem
    that I have. I have looked at it long enough now to know that the CPU usage
    makes no difference, neither does the time of day or what website I want to
    download. It's the same problem with email. The problem is that at regular,
    randon intervals download will stop completely for anything up to 1.5 mins,
    then start again as if nothing has happened. I never had that problem with
    the previous computer, which was about 4 years old and basic by todays
    standards.

    nick, Dec 29, 2003
  10. nick

    Brian H¹© Guest

    nick said:

    > I hd a think about all the various comments people made to my request for
    > help and also upgraded the Zonealarm and shut down all the programs running
    > in the background. Nothing makes any difference to the download problem
    > that I have. I have looked at it long enough now to know that the CPU usage
    > makes no difference, neither does the time of day or what website I want to
    > download. It's the same problem with email. The problem is that at regular,
    > randon intervals download will stop completely for anything up to 1.5 mins,
    > then start again as if nothing has happened. I never had that problem with
    > the previous computer, which was about 4 years old and basic by todays
    > standards.

    (snip)

    Try bench-testing your system at www.pcpitstop.com

    Brian H¹©, Dec 29, 2003
  11. nick

    nick Guest

    I clicked on www.pcpitstop.com to have a look at what was on offer. I did'nt
    feel that good about letting them look through my computer so I closed the
    page.
    Then I kept getting all these boxes popping up telling me things along the
    lines that my operating system was ok and that, even though they had not
    identified my operating system, they could nevertheless provide me with a
    security patch for it that I could download. All a bit disconcerting.

    Brian H¹© <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > nick said:
    >
    > > I hd a think about all the various comments people made to my request

    for
    > > help and also upgraded the Zonealarm and shut down all the programs

    running
    > > in the background. Nothing makes any difference to the download problem
    > > that I have. I have looked at it long enough now to know that the CPU

    usage
    > > makes no difference, neither does the time of day or what website I want

    > > download. It's the same problem with email. The problem is that at

    regular,
    > > randon intervals download will stop completely for anything up to 1.5

    mins,
    > > then start again as if nothing has happened. I never had that problem

    with
    > > the previous computer, which was about 4 years old and basic by todays
    > > standards.
    > >

    > (snip)
    >
    > Try bench-testing your system at www.pcpitstop.com

    ---

    nick, Dec 29, 2003
  12. nick

    trout Guest

    nick wrote:

    > I hd a think about all the various comments people made to my
    > request for help and also upgraded the Zonealarm and shut down all
    > the programs running in the background. Nothing makes any difference
    > to the download problem that I have. I have looked at it long enough
    > now to know that the CPU usage makes no difference, neither does the
    > time of day or what website I want to download. It's the same problem
    > with email. The problem is that at regular, randon intervals
    > download will stop completely for anything up to 1.5 mins, then start
    > again as if nothing has happened. I never had that problem with the
    > previous computer, which was about 4 years old and basic by todays
    > standards.

    Again; I'd advise using at least *one* of the free anti-ad/trojan
    programs previously mentioned. The symptoms you describe could very well
    be something using your connection, and holding up what *you* are doing,
    while it 'phones home'.
    And speaking of 'updates', (as you do in your later post) I *hope*
    that one of the first things you did after a new install of '98 was to
    get to Windows Update to get all available security patches.
    This is necessary. Period. I would do that immediately after getting
    a second opinion on the current state of things with one of the free
    on-line virus scans. Try:
    <http://housecall.antivirus.com/>
    It is perfectly safe, secure, and reliable to allow it to scan your
    machine (I, and many other users of the newsgroup do this on a regular
    basis).
    AVG and ZoneAlarm are decent programs; I also use them myself. But
    you may be asking more of them that the intended purpose; and *no*
    anti-virus program should be relied upon exclusively; without an
    occassional double-check with a different program.

    trout, Dec 29, 2003
  13. nick

    nick Guest

    I just downloaded 10MB of updates, dating back to '99. Tomorrow I'll take
    the rest of your advice and I'll let you know what the outcome is.
    Thanks for your time..

    ---

    nick, Dec 30, 2003
  14. nick

    nick Guest

    I have Ad-aware running and it found nothing suspicious. I have the current
    version of Zonelarm (and it makes no difference if its on or of). I have
    used two different virus scanners and nothing has been found. Turning of
    background programs makes no difference. I have however noticed that I have
    no problems downloading emails, emails with attachments and newsgroups
    postings, so it seems the problem could be Internet Explorer (?). The
    problem being that downloading pages seems to stall for up to 2 minutes,
    before continuing),

    ---

    nick, Jan 1, 2004
  15. nick

    trout Guest

    nick wrote:

    > I have Ad-aware running and it found nothing suspicious. I have the
    > current version of Zonelarm (and it makes no difference if its on or
    > of). I have used two different virus scanners and nothing has been
    > found. Turning of background programs makes no difference. I have
    > however noticed that I have no problems downloading emails, emails
    > with attachments and newsgroups postings, so it seems the problem
    > could be Internet Explorer (?). The problem being that downloading
    > pages seems to stall for up to 2 minutes, before continuing),

    AdAware found *nothing*? This strikes me as odd, right off the bat.
    If you've done those Windows Updates; you'd at least have had
    Microsoft's own little pest, "Alexa". *That* is a browser spyware
    add-on, of the type that can slow performance, and AdAware should have
    detected and offered for quarantine.
    You could always try a repair of IE (I believe your version can be
    done through Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel). By the way; a
    repair would also restore "Alexa", which should then be detected by
    AdAware. And since you've eliminated the firewall as the source of your
    problem; I'd strongly suggest you stop turning it off to experiment. It
    doesn't matter what you are doing. Just being connected, unprotected,
    could be enough to compound your problems. If you want to experiment
    with it further; the only possible way it could be a factor would be by
    allowing access to a program that is being opportunistic with your
    connection.
    Check in Internet Options; under Advanced, to make sure that you
    don't have "Automatically Check for IE Updates" checked. Look at every
    program to which you have allowed access (including anti-virus,
    clock-sync, etc) for similar Auto-update features.
    You could try setting *everything* in ZoneAlarm to "prompt", and see
    what is asking for permission to connect while you are online doing
    something else.

    trout, Jan 4, 2004
  16. nick

    caitlin Guest

    Actually, Adaware quaranteed 52 "tracking cookies", all ending in ".txt"
    At the time of this list there was some comments linking these cookies to
    Media Player. But Media Player is not running in the background.

    It's all a bit demoralising as I spoke to the people at the shop that sold
    me the computer and they said that it is almost certainly the modem that
    they installed when they built the computer. As I have a laptop that is much
    quicker than the PC I shall probably call it a day and use the PC when I
    don't have to do much more than read my email.

    ---

    caitlin, Jan 4, 2004
  17. nick

    trout Guest

    caitlin wrote:

    > Actually, Adaware quaranteed 52 "tracking cookies", all ending in
    > ".txt" At the time of this list there was some comments linking these
    > cookies to Media Player. But Media Player is not running in the
    > background.
    >
    > It's all a bit demoralising as I spoke to the people at the shop that
    > sold me the computer and they said that it is almost certainly the
    > modem that they installed when they built the computer. As I have a
    > laptop that is much quicker than the PC I shall probably call it a
    > day and use the PC when I don't have to do much more than read my
    > email.

    Good Lord. It's no wonder. Okay, then; a couple of suggestions.
    Go into the Control Panel: Internet Options; Privacy tab; and click
    "Advanced". Check the box to over-ride automatic cookie handling.
    Now, "Third-party" cookies are safe to block, altogether. As for
    "First-Party" cookies (the kind you sometimes need); I suggest you set
    this to "Prompt". This way, you know when these are being deposited, and
    by whom.
    Yes, these interruptions can be a pain in the butt; especially at
    first. But each prompt box will have a space to check to remember the
    setting; so that your regularly-visited sites will eventually be sorted
    into 'always block' or 'always allow'. The "Edit" button on the same
    page will allow you to see which is which; or edit, remove, or add sites
    manually.
    Alternatively; or *additionally*, I suggest you get a good cookie
    manager. There are a number of good, free ones. I use Winpatrol (free
    version):
    http://www.winpatrol.com/winpatrolplus.html
    This is an excellent little program that will 'sniff' for changes at
    a user-set interval; and prompt you to review new cookies for approval
    or deletion. It also warns of stealth program installation, as well as
    changes to your start-up folder.
    I wouldn't give up quite yet.
    --
    "I guess it's time to snip this giant post."

    trout, Jan 5, 2004
  18. nick

    nick Guest

    I looked at Control Panel:Internet Options but can't see any Privacy tab...

    nick, Jan 5, 2004
  19. nick

    trout Guest

    nick wrote:

    > I looked at Control Panel:Internet Options but can't see any Privacy
    > tab...

    Really? Hmm. I didn't think there'd be that much difference beteen
    '98 and '98SE (which I use)....
    Well, you can still use the other programs, which *should* resolve
    the problem of tracking cookies.

    trout, Jan 5, 2004