Slow Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by irfan williams, Jan 4, 2010.

  1. Please help me with this issue.

    I bought an Acer Aspire 6 cell Netbook (Window XP I believe) a few
    months ago . It ran great for a few months. Now it is vey slow.

    I did the following:

    1. Did a run
    misconfig
    and deselected the programs I did not want.

    ( I get an error window that says:
    An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a
    service...
    but yet it seems to deselect the software)

    2. Opened Chrome and Mozilla / Firefox and cleared history, cache
    etc.

    But it is still very slow.

    I have not added /downloaded any software to the netbook nor changed
    anything.

    Can anyone please suggest what I should next ?

    Thanks in advance for your input,

    Irfan Williams
    irfan williams, Jan 4, 2010

  2. irfan williams

    Paul Guest

    irfan williams wrote:
    > Please help me with this issue.
    >
    > I bought an Acer Aspire 6 cell Netbook (Window XP I believe) a few
    > months ago . It ran great for a few months. Now it is vey slow.
    >
    > I did the following:
    >
    > 1. Did a run
    > misconfig
    > and deselected the programs I did not want.
    >
    > ( I get an error window that says:
    > An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a
    > service...
    > but yet it seems to deselect the software)
    >
    > 2. Opened Chrome and Mozilla / Firefox and cleared history, cache etc.
    >
    > But it is still very slow.
    >
    > I have not added /downloaded any software to the netbook nor changed
    > anything.
    >
    > Can anyone please suggest what I should next ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your input,
    >
    > Irfan Williams

    Does it, by any chance, use a solid state drive, rather than a hard drive ?

    If you want a test, try the free version of HDTune, which has a read benchmark
    in it. Try benchmarking the drive used to hold your C: partition, then
    tell us what the resulting curve looks like (starting bandwidth, ending bandwidth,
    shape of curve). An SSD should be a flat line. A rotating hard drive has a
    curved line.

    (Version 2.55 is free...)

    http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe

    The "blue line" in the graph, is the one you want to look at.

    http://www.hdtune.com/images/screenshot.png

    Paul
    Paul, Jan 4, 2010

  3. I am sorry I should have mentioned the specs for the Acer Aspire One
    netbook :

    1.6GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor
    1024MB DDR2 SDRAM Single Channel Memory
    160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    Windows XP Home (SP3), Up to 7.5 Hours of Battery Life (6-Cell 5200
    mAh)

    Also I should have mentioned that I am not a techie.

    Thanks,
    Irfan Williams

    irfan williams, Jan 4, 2010
  4. irfan williams

    Paul Guest

    irfan williams wrote:
    > I am sorry I should have mentioned the specs for the Acer Aspire One
    > netbook :
    >
    > 1.6GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor
    > 1024MB DDR2 SDRAM Single Channel Memory
    > 160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    > Windows XP Home (SP3), Up to 7.5 Hours of Battery Life (6-Cell 5200
    > mAh)
    >
    > Also I should have mentioned that I am not a techie.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Irfan Williams

    You can use Sysinternals Process Explorer, to display information similar
    to Task Manager. There are also a couple extra entries near the top of the display.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

    You can also verify the clock speed of your CPU, with a program
    called CPUZ.

    (Try the no-install version.)

    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

    Have you run HDTune benchmark yet ? What did you get ? If the transfer
    rate of the disk is low enough, you could be stuck in PIO transfer mode.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 5, 2010
  5. irfan williams

    z Guest

    I found that the more software that i install on a pc the slower it will run
    and quite likely also in your case as its only a slow pc being a netbook.

    z, Jan 9, 2010