    I have a 70 Gig drive with 10 gig free.
    I have Hijack this installed but don't know how to analyze the results.

    Any thoughts?
    Joe J., Oct 20, 2009

  2. Joe J.

    Paul Guest

    Joe J. wrote:
    > My computer has slowed to a crawl when changing between programs.
    > It is a Dell Dimension 4700
    > Pentium 4 with a 3 Gig cpu
    > 2.5 gig ram, running XP- Pro.
    > I have run Malwarebytes and have Adaware, CC cleaner and AVG running.
    > Everything comes up negative but the thing is bogged down. Sometimes takes
    > 3-5 seconds just to switch between mail and Excel. Sometimes 15-30 secs.
    > Not running any games and don't see anything out of the ordinary when
    > checking Task Manager.
    > I have a 70 Gig drive with 10 gig free.
    > I have Hijack this installed but don't know how to analyze the results.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Are you running Comodo ? There was a problem with an update
    not too long ago.

    http://forums.comodo.com/feedbackco...ith_the_latest_virus_db_updates-t46150.0.html

    Perhaps you could download Process Explorer, and check for interrupts.
    They're shown near the top of the window.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

    I'd suspect an AV tool of some sort, because they're pretty sneaky.

    You could verify the operating frequency of your processor with CPUZ.

    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

    You could benchmark your processor, by running SuperPI and calculating
    1 million digits. On my AthlonXP 3200+ and Pentium 4 Northwood running
    at 3.1GHz, the time to complete that is 45-50 seconds. (Normally,
    this would come from http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi , but that page is
    unavailable right now.)

    http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/366/Super_PI_Mod_v1.5.html

    Paul
    Paul, Oct 21, 2009

  3. Joe J.

    Joe J. Guest

    "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message

    > "Joe J." <> wrote in message
    >> My computer has slowed to a crawl when changing between programs.
    >> It is a Dell Dimension 4700
    >> Pentium 4 with a 3 Gig cpu
    >> 2.5 gig ram, running XP- Pro.
    >> I have run Malwarebytes and have Adaware, CC cleaner and AVG running.
    >> Everything comes up negative but the thing is bogged down. Sometimes
    >> takes 3-5 seconds just to switch between mail and Excel. Sometimes 15-30
    >> secs. Not running any games and don't see anything out of the ordinary
    >> when checking Task Manager.
    >> I have a 70 Gig drive with 10 gig free.
    >> I have Hijack this installed but don't know how to analyze the results.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?

    > Did this start after any particular installation or software change, or
    > has this been progressing?
    >
    > Turn off any unneeded Software Updates that may be running in the
    > background.
    > Determine if there are programs in Startup that may be running
    > unnecessarily.
    > Reduce the number of programs you have on Quick Launch.
    > Do a disk cleanup to get rid of excess junk on your system.
    >
    > Do a defrag?
    > Scan/repair your registry?
    >
    > These are just a few things to try before you get into more serious
    > analytical tools.
    >
    > Remember to Set a System Restore point and backup your registry before
    > doing any modifications to the registry.
    >
    > Depending on what software you use and the size of your HD among other
    > things, a Defrag might take several hours, but can improve system
    > performance.

    It might have started after switching to Enbarq Hi-speed internet but I
    can't be certain. I removed their extra programs after I installed it.

    I have run defrag already, didn't help.

    I've run Norton Cleanup, no help
    Joe J., Oct 22, 2009