    Any suggestions?
    WHat is "system idle process"a and why is it 60-70% of my CPU?
    Geoff

    geoffm, Jan 21, 2005

  2. geoffm

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "geoffm" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 - supposedly 2.9GHz, and 512MB or ram.
    > This thing is SLOOOOW. Lik,e click and wait a minute for the start
    > menu to unfurl, and just sitting there churning away doing nothing.
    > The original click-and-wait interface.
    > No spyware found and Antivir came up clean
    > Turning off Sharazza helped a bit
    > Any suggestions?
    > WHat is "system idle process"a and why is it 60-70% of my CPU?

    It's what it says - idle. That's when the CPU isn't doing anything, which
    means that some process is running at about 30-40% (consuming that much of
    the CPU time). Look in the tasklist to see what it is - that will probably
    be the cause of your slowness. I would hazard a guess that it's an AV scan,
    but post the details if you're not sure.

    BTW, make sure you put a tick in the box that says "show processes from all
    users".

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Mr Scebe, Jan 21, 2005

  3. geoffm

    Gurble Guest

    On 21 Jan 2005 01:12:04 -0600, geoffm
    <> had this to say:

    > I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 - supposedly 2.9GHz, and 512MB or ram.
    >This thing is SLOOOOW. Lik,e click and wait a minute for the start
    >menu to unfurl, and just sitting there churning away doing nothing.
    >The original click-and-wait interface.
    > No spyware found and Antivir came up clean
    >Turning off Sharazza helped a bit
    >Any suggestions?
    >WHat is "system idle process"a and why is it 60-70% of my CPU?
    >Geoff

    1. At the risk of sounding bigotted, I've yet to see a Dell come
    anywhere close to the performance of another computer with the same
    specs and a reasonable motherboard.

    2. Do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Whilst it is (IMO) the best
    antivirus solution, I've seen it do the same to 3 different computers
    of late.

    3. System Idle Process should be sitting on closer to 99% when you're
    not doing anything. It does exactly as it's name implies - nothing.
    It's a single thread (per processor) process set to the lowest
    priority, that just concerns itself with counting what percentage of
    the processor *isn't* being used. I'd be more concerned about what was
    taking up the other 30-40% when idle.

    HTH

    Gurble, Jan 21, 2005
  4. geoffm

    David Guest

    Gurble wrote:
    > On 21 Jan 2005 01:12:04 -0600, geoffm
    > <> had this to say:
    >

    >>I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 - supposedly 2.9GHz, and 512MB or ram.
    >>This thing is SLOOOOW. Lik,e click and wait a minute for the start
    >>menu to unfurl, and just sitting there churning away doing nothing.
    >>The original click-and-wait interface.
    >>No spyware found and Antivir came up clean
    >>Turning off Sharazza helped a bit
    >>Any suggestions?
    >>WHat is "system idle process"a and why is it 60-70% of my CPU?
    >>Geoff

    > 1. At the risk of sounding bigotted, I've yet to see a Dell come
    > anywhere close to the performance of another computer with the same
    > specs and a reasonable motherboard.
    >
    > 2. Do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Whilst it is (IMO) the best
    > antivirus solution, I've seen it do the same to 3 different computers
    > of late.
    >
    > 3. System Idle Process should be sitting on closer to 99% when you're
    > not doing anything. It does exactly as it's name implies - nothing.
    > It's a single thread (per processor) process set to the lowest
    > priority, that just concerns itself with counting what percentage of
    > the processor *isn't* being used. I'd be more concerned about what was
    > taking up the other 30-40% when idle.
    >
    > HTH

    And it tells the cpu to HLT which keeps it cooler and saves power.

    David, Jan 23, 2005
  5. geoffm wrote:
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 - supposedly 2.9GHz, and 512MB or ram.
    > This thing is SLOOOOW. Lik,e click and wait a minute for the start
    > menu to unfurl, and just sitting there churning away doing nothing.
    > The original click-and-wait interface.
    > No spyware found and Antivir came up clean
    > Turning off Sharazza helped a bit
    > Any suggestions?
    > WHat is "system idle process"a and why is it 60-70% of my CPU?
    > Geoff

    There is an issue with the Dell software and SP2, they have a knowledge
    base article about it on their website.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 23, 2005