    I defraged it, cleaned the register--no himprovement. What can I try
    to help?
    , Sep 29, 2007

  2. rjdriver Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My compter using XP is VERY slow.
    > I defraged it, cleaned the register--no himprovement. What can I try
    > to help?

    Assuming you have plenty of empty harddrive space for virtual memory,
    and you don't have too many legitimate programs running in the background
    (how many icon are there next to your clock?), I would start by looking for
    spyware. Download these two free programs, update the definitions, and scan
    with both (don't assume the first one found everything, no matter how much
    it finds):

    Spybot Search & Destroy -

    AdAware -
    http://www.lavasoft.de/products/ad_aware_free.php

    If that hasn't speeded things up or they find nothing serious(only
    cookies), try searching for trojans with Stinger. Nothing to update. The
    program you download is always current.

    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    If you still have problems after that, get one of these free anti virus
    programs, update the definitions and run a scan:

    Anti Vir PE Classic -
    http://www.avira.com/en/download/index.html

    AVG -
    http://free.grisoft.com/

    Let us know how it goes. If none of this helps, there are other steps
    to take.

    Bob
    rjdriver, Sep 29, 2007