    computer faster apart from a reformat.
    Many thanks,
    Pat.

    Pat, Aug 26, 2006

  2. Pat wrote:

    > My computer is running so slow. I clear the cookies and temporary
    > internet files after every session. Also, I have done a
    > defragmentation but nothing seems to make my computer faster. I have
    > Win.XP Home, 256MB Ram and 40 gig., hard drive. My computer is only
    > about 15 months old, it is an Optima desktop. I also run my anti
    > virus regularly and of course get the updates. Could someone please
    > tell me if there is anything else I could do to make my computer
    > faster apart from a reformat.

    The normal first response to this kind of question is that your computer
    has become a zombie, and is now probably spewing spam to the rest of the
    planet.

    1. Is it still slow when not connected to the internet?
    2. Examine your outgoing traffic when connected, but you yourself aren't
    doing anything. Anything happening?
    3. What firewall are you using?

    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 26, 2006

  3. Pat

    Old Gringo Guest

    Without Any Hesitation, Pat Wrote The Following:
    > Hi' Everyone,
    > My computer is running so slow. I clear the cookies and temporary internet
    > files after every session. Also, I have done a defragmentation but nothing
    > seems to make my computer faster. I have Win.XP Home, 256MB Ram and 40 gig.,
    > hard drive. My computer is only about 15 months old, it is an Optima
    > desktop. I also run my anti virus regularly and of course get the updates.
    > Could someone please tell me if there is anything else I could do to make my
    > computer faster apart from a reformat.
    > Many thanks,
    > Pat.

    Go to: http://pcpitstop.com There Run the full test of your
    computer. When the test is complete they will have some solutions to
    your problem. All FREE Good Luck

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Aug 26, 2006
  4. Pat

    Daave Guest

    Pat wrote:
    > Hi' Everyone,
    > My computer is running so slow. I clear the cookies and temporary
    > internet files after every session. Also, I have done a
    > defragmentation but nothing seems to make my computer faster. I have
    > Win.XP Home, 256MB Ram and 40 gig., hard drive. My computer is only
    > about 15 months old, it is an Optima desktop. I also run my anti
    > virus regularly and of course get the updates. Could someone please
    > tell me if there is anything else I could do to make my computer
    > faster apart from a reformat.

    256 MB RAM is kind of low for XP, especially if you multitask. Memory is
    fairly cheap; I'd buy some more, regardless.

    Which anti-virus program do you use? Certain ones are noted resource
    hogs (Norton and McAfee are the two biggest culprits). Personally, I
    prefer AVG (it's free):
    http://free.grisoft.com/

    You can also try some online virus scans, just to be sure:

    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp?j=1&langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=20&pkj=EYXQYNBRFNJSVSTIVVB

    or http://tinyurl.com/ftomh

    In addition to temporary Internet files, you should also delete temp
    files. Personally, I like to use Ccleaner:

    http://www.ccleaner.com/

    You might have too many apps running in the background. You can use
    msconfig to temporarily prevent some of these from loading. Or you might
    like to try Startup Control Panel:

    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Have you scanned for malware?

    Download an install Adaware (*free* version):
    http://www.lavasoft.de/

    Spybot Search and Destroy (*free* version):
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Bookmark these sites; they're full of useful info:

    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html

    Good luck!

    --
    Dave

    Daave, Aug 26, 2006
  5. Pat

    PeeCee Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > Hi' Everyone,
    > My computer is running so slow. I clear the cookies and temporary internet
    > files after every session. Also, I have done a defragmentation but nothing
    > seems to make my computer faster. I have Win.XP Home, 256MB Ram and 40
    > gig., hard drive. My computer is only about 15 months old, it is an Optima
    > desktop. I also run my anti virus regularly and of course get the updates.
    > Could someone please tell me if there is anything else I could do to make
    > my computer faster apart from a reformat.
    > Many thanks,
    > Pat.

    Pat

    1 Check for Spyware/Malware.
    Go to http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm#rec and read up on their
    Recommended Anti Spywrare programs then download and intall them. They are
    'best of breed' and you their recommendations can be relied on.
    2 Google for 'free online virus scan' and try a couple. I usually find the
    Trend and Symantec ones the easiest to use.
    3 Add at least 256MB of RAM to your computer, a patched up copy of XP does
    not run well with less than 512MB of RAM these days.
    4 Review the programs in your System tray (bottom right) and set them to
    'not' start unless they are absolutely critical.
    5 Likewise with your Add Remove programs applet in the Control panel, ie if
    you're not using it, remove it.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Aug 26, 2006
  6. Pat

    PeeCee Guest

    "Daave" <> wrote in message news:MKNHg.1379

    snip

    > Which anti-virus program do you use? Certain ones are noted resource
    > hogs (Norton and McAfee are the two biggest culprits).

    snip

    I'll echo that.
    Just removed Norton 2005 from an older PC (300MHZ Pentium) that was taking
    fully 10 + minutes to start up.
    With Norton removed it was starting in 3 minutes.

    P.

    PeeCee, Aug 26, 2006
  7. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Many thanks everyone for your help. I have EZ Anti Virus, also, Spybot S &
    D, Ad-Aware, Spyware Blaster, CCleaner & CW Schredder. Another one I am not
    sure about and stopped using for the time being as a friend's computer
    crashed recently when she ran it but maybe it was something she did, this is
    called Zappit does anyone know if it is safe?. I will look at all your
    advice and the links thank you for your time, Oh... my firewall is the
    Windows one.
    Many thanks,
    Pat.

    Pat, Aug 26, 2006
  8. Pat

    Guest

    Pat wrote:
    > Hi' Everyone,
    > My computer is running so slow. I clear the cookies and temporary internet
    > files after every session. Also, I have done a defragmentation but nothing
    > seems to make my computer faster. I have Win.XP Home, 256MB Ram and 40 gig.,
    > hard drive. My computer is only about 15 months old, it is an Optima
    > desktop. I also run my anti virus regularly and of course get the updates.
    > Could someone please tell me if there is anything else I could do to make my
    > computer faster apart from a reformat.
    > Many thanks,
    > Pat.

    Upgrade your Ram.
    XP needs at least 1GB to work.
    Install adaware and spybot and run them.
    Install AVG anti-virus and run it.
    Install Zonealarm's (free for single endusers) firewall, and turn off
    the M$ one and never turn it on again.

    THEN defrag.

    , Aug 26, 2006
  9. Pat

    Joan Guest

    Many thanks for responding, I will think about upgrading my RAM and look
    into Zonealarm,
    Pat.

    Joan, Aug 26, 2006
  10. Pat

    FML Guest

    lid wrote:
    > Pat wrote:
    >> Hi' Everyone,
    >> My computer is running so slow. I clear the cookies and temporary internet
    >> files after every session. Also, I have done a defragmentation but nothing
    >> seems to make my computer faster. I have Win.XP Home, 256MB Ram and 40 gig.,
    >> hard drive. My computer is only about 15 months old, it is an Optima
    >> desktop. I also run my anti virus regularly and of course get the updates.
    >> Could someone please tell me if there is anything else I could do to make my
    >> computer faster apart from a reformat.
    >> Many thanks,
    >> Pat.
    >>

    > Upgrade your Ram.
    > XP needs at least 1GB to work.

    bollocks!

    FML, Aug 26, 2006
  11. Pat

    sdlomi2 Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > Hi' Everyone,
    > My computer is running so slow. I clear the cookies and temporary internet
    > files after every session. Also, I have done a defragmentation but nothing
    > seems to make my computer faster. I have Win.XP Home, 256MB Ram and 40
    > gig., hard drive. My computer is only about 15 months old, it is an Optima
    > desktop. I also run my anti virus regularly and of course get the updates.
    > Could someone please tell me if there is anything else I could do to make
    > my computer faster apart from a reformat.
    > Many thanks,
    > Pat.

    Pat, try leaving cookies alone for several days. Some of them, as I
    understand it, are used almost like quicker shortcuts back to the web sites
    you have previously visited. I know that when I remove all my cookies, my
    computer is unusually slow for a day or two until the file builds back up,
    then keeping 'closer touch' with the sites that I re-visit--since we tend to
    visit the same sites regularly.
    HTH & good luck, s

    sdlomi2, Aug 26, 2006
  12. Pat

    Big Stint Guest

    I would go with the RAM upgrade. I am running 512 with XP and it works
    great. Good Luck

    Big Stint, Aug 26, 2006
  13. Pat

    richard Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > Hi' Everyone,
    > My computer is running so slow. I clear the cookies and temporary internet
    > files after every session. Also, I have done a defragmentation but nothing
    > seems to make my computer faster. I have Win.XP Home, 256MB Ram and 40
    > gig., hard drive. My computer is only about 15 months old, it is an Optima
    > desktop. I also run my anti virus regularly and of course get the updates.
    > Could someone please tell me if there is anything else I could do to make
    > my computer faster apart from a reformat.
    > Many thanks,
    > Pat.

    Try cleaning out your registry. You'll find zillions of useless information
    is slowing things down.

    I use what I believe is the best. "EZclean" from "Toniarts".

    http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

    Once you're clean, your system will start up like new.

    richard, Aug 26, 2006
  14. On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 01:24:53 GMT, "Pat" <> wrote:

    >Hi' Everyone,
    >My computer is running so slow. I clear the cookies and temporary internet
    >files after every session. Also, I have done a defragmentation but nothing
    >seems to make my computer faster. I have Win.XP Home, 256MB Ram and 40 gig.,
    >hard drive. My computer is only about 15 months old, it is an Optima
    >desktop. I also run my anti virus regularly and of course get the updates.
    >Could someone please tell me if there is anything else I could do to make my
    >computer faster apart from a reformat.
    >Many thanks,
    >Pat.

    Thank you for asking the question Pat.
    You have gotten a lot of very useful answers that I have copied and
    will try several of them.
    I had asked the same question recently, but for some reason did not
    get a lot of the helpful information your thread has. I feel like
    Rodney Dangerfield. ;-)

    Grandpa Chuck, Aug 26, 2006