    I'm not even remotely a computer expert.
    How do I locate the connections and or trojans etc. without wiping and
    reloading Windows?
    john, Jan 25, 2007

  2. From: "john" <@global.net>

    | My computer was running really slow on high speed cable.
    | Called the provider and he walked me through some details.
    | 19 TCP and 21 UDP connections. A lot of connections etc I didn't know I had.
    | Found one virus so far in NORTON. It was HTML Exploit... in Norton Security.
    | All the extra UDPs are gone. I still have 19 TCPs.
    | I'm not even remotely a computer expert.
    | How do I locate the connections and or trojans etc. without wiping and
    | reloading Windows?

    An HTML Exploit is NOT a virus. As the name imples, a HTML Explopit is an HTML file
    containing Exploit code. Most likely it was fouind in you browser cache.

    Strating you have "19 TCP and 21 UDP connections" is insufficient. If you are going to
    eport such a fact, you need to capture a NETSTAT or TCPVIEW out put showing exactly what the
    TCP and UDP ports that are iopen and being communicated on, yada, yada.

    If you are using any version of Sun Java that is prior to JRE Version 6.0,
    then you are strongly urged to remove any/all versions.
    There are numerous vulnerabilities in them and they are actively being exploited.

    It is highly suggested that you update to the latest version which is Sun Java JRE/JSE
    Version 6.0

    Simple check, look under...
    C:\Program Files\Java

    The only folder under that folder should be the latest version.

    Such as...
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0

    http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
    http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

    FYI:
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-26-102557-1
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-26-102622-1
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-26-102648-1
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-26-102729-1
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-26-102732-1
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-26-102760-1

    For non-viral malware...

    Please download, install and update the following software...

    * Ad-aware SE v1.06
    http://www.lavasoft.de/
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://www.lavasoft.de/ms/index.htm

    * SpyBot Search and Destroy v1.4
    http://security.kolla.de/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/microsoft.en.html

    * SuperAntiSpyware
    http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

    After the software is updated, I suggest scanning the system in Safe Mode.

    I also suggest downloading, installing and updating BHODemon for any Browser Helper Objects
    that may be on the PC.

    * BHODemon

    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=3550&file=11&evp=245a87539eea8ed6904332b4b8b8442d

    For viral malware...

    * Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

    This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
    This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
    The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

    file. http://www.ik-cs.com/multi-av.htm

    Additional Instructions:
    http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm

    Dave